Mercedes CLA Forum banner

How to Wash My Black CLA?

49K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  mdhira1 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before?

So.. already had my black CLA for 2 months now. Time flies!! :D

Any previous "black" car owners have any advice on best way to wash your car? First time I brought it through the automatic car wash. Washed ok but felt like it was taking a beating with those wipers :confused: After a few weeks of ownership I was looking closely at my car and notice some very very light streaks/scratches. I wondered if it was from the car wash? Then after I had my windows tinted someone there told me black cars can get scratched if there is the slightest dirt on you car and you wipe it down :( Which made me think. Whenever it rained I used to wipe it down with a dry cloth. Do you think this did the scratches? I've taken a peek at other black cars and have notice the same thing. Very very light scratches. :confused: Is this something I have to live with? I mean.. it's not noticeable unless you put your eye close and look for them. Any recommendations?

My car before the tint :eek:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Never wipe your car dry or with just water on it. The tiny dirt particles will scratch the paint (or clear coat). You have to use good carwash liquid and water and make sure they get nice and sudsy. It's the suds that lift up the dirt away from the paint. Once the dirt is lifted off the surface of the paint then rinse it off with water. There are videos on youtube on the proper way of washing a car.

BTW, I had my black CLA tinted too. How dark did you go?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. :) And the advice. I guess there's no in between. Either leave it unwashed... or give it a good wash ;) Any recommendations on a liquid brand? Also, what do you think about those drive thru car wash places?

I went as dark as I could go legally on the tint. However, don't remember what percentage that is.. think 25%? :confused:

#5 ·
I would AVOID

hold on let me clarify that again and let it sink in

AVOID

• drive through car washes that are NOT touchless.
  • drive through car washes where high school kids use dirty wash mitts to rub dirt into your car
Do not wipe your car dry when it is raining. You are causing the scratches. Sorry to say but that drive through car wash along with you drying your car probably just caused lots of damage to your paint that can only be corrected through paint correction (you are looking at $400+job)

HOW TO WASH YOUR CAR:

#35 ·
I would AVOID

hold on let me clarify that again and let it sink in

AVOID

• drive through car washes that are NOT touchless.
  • drive through car washes where high school kids use dirty wash mitts to rub dirt into your car
Do not wipe your car dry when it is raining. You are causing the scratches. Sorry to say but that drive through car wash along with you drying your car probably just caused lots of damage to your paint that can only be corrected through paint correction (you are looking at $400+job)

HOW TO WASH YOUR CAR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Sqi1lAj1A
Great video. The best thing I think for paint is a garage and hopefully shaded parking at your work not under trees. I'll probably be picking up foam canon and just let that do the washing with the occasional hand wash.

#9 ·
Depends on how good your mercedes dealership is.

from most of the reviews I've seen... I would say no.. Just wash it yourself. And tell them to not wash your car when you service it as well.

Paint Correction on 1958 Porsche Speedster - /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube
I see. The reason why I asked is not that I'm too lazy to wash my own car. Just where I park my car is not the best location to wash my car. Then time is my next excuse. I guess I'll just have to buckle down and pick a day.

My MB dealer always washes your car after a visit. They even washed my car when I went back to pick up the new license plates. They put them on the car and then hand washed it.
My dealership did the same with my license plates. Although they didn't give or ask me for a car wash. I've heard not to have them wash your car too. Although not sure why. Guess they do a lousy job? Couldn't be any worse then those other hand touch carwash places? At least to me anyway. Well.. appreciate the feedback. I'll just do the best I can and if it gets bad I'll just have it detailed :D

#8 ·
My MB dealer always washes your car after a visit. They even washed my car when I went back to pick up the new license plates. They put them on the car and then hand washed it.

#10 ·
My problem with trying to wash my car this time of year is the temperature. Yesterday the temperature reached a high of 11 F. This morning on my drive to work it was 9 degree and expected to reach a high of 24. Not too favorible for me.

#12 ·
my suggestion in the winter?

look up opti-coat or cquartz. find an installer in your area. or shoot me a PM and I'll find you the best installer in your area.

very durable sealant that will protect your paint and make it much easier to clean.

then find a laser drive through wash (touchless car wash - preferably with no rails for your rims)

#11 ·
First off, avoid and decline dealership washes or detailing in general from them.

Also avoid the tunnel washes with the rotating brushes, your black car will exit the tunnel looking gray and with lots of inflicted damage from the brushes.

You need to do a VERY thorough pre-rinse before you start to hand wash the car yourself. You could also do a foam bath prior to the hand wash. When washing by hand, use the 2 bucket method and have grit guards in the buckets.

#14 ·
Does anyone recommend using a waterless detailer during super cold weather to get some of the grim off their car?

#15 ·
You could technically use a waterless wash solution to clean the car but there are some concerns.

1. You are cleaning the car but that does not mean you are not scratching the car. There simply is not enough lubrication in most waterless wash products to remove the kind of grime that winter brings safely. Not without going through BAGS of microfiber cloths...

2. In the super cold weather the detailer might even just freeze on the surface. Some of the low temps may be so low that the cleaning and lifting agents in the solution may not be working properly which could continue to lead to damaging the surface.

Personally I would head to a heated pressure washer coin operated car wash business and spend the $2-$3 and get the car cleaned that way. The hot water should be able to blast most of the salt off without having to really use soap. And if you do need soap you can either use the soap they have there (downfall is that the soaps are kind of harsh and might strip/hurt wax and sealants) or bring your own premixed soap in a spray bottle.

Hope that helps. Winter is a big bummer but with the right tools and patience and frozen fingers you can get through it while still maintaining the paint finish.

#16 ·
#17 ·
i admit it. i just drive my 300c 4matic through the carwash where it is blowndry by these big machines. results. great. im not a perfectionist but when i really want it gleaming i pay for the more advanced waxes dtc. most folks think my car looks great. this is for us who do not want to wash, wax and manicure their car. dont obsess about it too much. im probably in the minority but its what ive donefor years with all my black cars. (too many to count)

#18 ·
I don't obsess over my car either. Of course I want to keep it looking good as long as possible but within reason.

#24 ·
Thats the best thing to do.
I have family and friends that aren't into cars, their not enthusiastic about them as we all are.
So if it was up to me to recommend the best way to maintain the exterior, that would be it.

Get a detailer to apply some sort of sealant and make weekly visits to a touchless car wash or when ever most appropriate.

#30 · (Edited)
You can always use the two bucket method...one bucket with soap and water...the other bucket is filled with just water. After you dip in the soap & water and wash vehicle then you'd dip in the clear water to remove any debris, before putting it back into the soap and water. I also use a leaf blower to dry my car...I get the majority of the water off with that before using a microfiber towel to finish it up. The leaf blower is great for getting water out of side mirrors as well as nooks and crannies. Check out autogeek for ideas/solutions to getting that showroom shine...good luck!:)
BTW I have an invisible bra on my 07 Corvette...it's on the nose and side mirrors. It's mainly used to prevent rock chips...and you maintain it just like you would the rest of the car.

#31 ·
You can always use the two bucket method...one bucket with soap and water...the other bucket is filled with just water. After you dip in the soap & water and wash vehicle then you'd dip in the clear water to remove any debris, before putting it back into the soap and water. I also use a leaf blower to dry my car...I get the majority of the water off with that before using a microfiber towel to finish it up. The leaf blower is great for getting water out of side mirrors as well as nooks and crannies. Check out autogeek for ideas/solutions to getting that showroom shine...good luck!:)
BTW I have an invisible bra on my 07 Corvette...it's on the nose and side mirrors. It's mainly used to prevent rock chips...and you maintain it just like you would the rest of the car.
Where did you get the clear bra put on or did you do it yourself?

#36 ·
I bought a new black CLA 250 yesterday and while I was at the dealership I asked how to wash it. The reply was that I could take it to a touchless car wash.

So when I got home I started reading the owner's manual and it said to avoid the touchless for the harsh chemicals that can damage the paint job.

I have read that some people use the 2 bucket technique. I've never hand washed a car simply because the automatic car wash is more convenient.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what brands to use on the exterior and interior. In the past I used Armorall on my Ford to keep the inside clean.

#37 ·
Keep your Mercedes-Benz looking like new inside and out with specially formulated shampoo, paint cleaner, polish, and other products from the Mercedes-Benz Car Care Product Collection. Each product is meticulously designed to clean, protect, and maintain the original Mercedes-Benz appearance that was love at first sight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.