Mercedes CLA Forum banner

The Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG Is The Cheapest Way Into The Über Car Club

25K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  brianch 
#1 ·
The Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG Is The Cheapest Way Into The Über Car Club

Despite a price that puts the brawny CLA 45 AMG at roughly the equivalent of two V6 Mustangs, there's no way to get a new über German car any cheaper than the $47,450 suggested price.

Audi has S and RS to differentiate normal hi-po cars from the hyperactive meatballs. BMW sort of has this with IS and S. Mercedes, though, has AMG and Black Series (and AMG S, actually). I'd argue that an AMG is more like an RS, which makes a Black Series vehiclepurely insane.
Therefore, buying a CLA 45 AMG is close to buying an RS or an M of another brand. At the $47,450 price-point, you're not getting much else new from Ze Germans at that level (an SLK55 starts at $68K and the 1M Coupe was $55K before markup). You could argue an 2013 Audi S4 is comparable, but it's slower with less power at around the same price.

If Teutonic tire-murdering is your game, then, the AWD CLA45 is your best value in the United States, offering AWD and a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with 360 horsepower. That'll boost it to 60 mph in a reported 4.6 seconds (the S4 does it in 4.9). There's no manual transmission, sadly, but that's the only obvious shortcoming.
Inside, the smallest locally available AMG looks the part with carbon fiber, massive chunky switches, carbon fiber stuff everywhere and red touches.
This leaves you with three interesting choices for under $50K. You could get a base 135is for the compact, relatively lighter weight RWD with a stick. The larger, relatively tame Audi S4. Or this. DD/Track/Burn?

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't think of any other car of this type that you get with its top performance trim for under 50k. The M3 starts a over 60k. I don't even think you can buy a 1M from dealerships anymore, but that would still start far over 50k.

Mercedes can't even compete with itself with the C63 AMG starting at over 65k.

#8 ·
I like Audis but they all look alike. I am, however, impressed by then A8 (S and 4.0T) as well as the RS7. Both are super quick and their official performance numbers are underrated. The CLA45 will be a game changer until BMW and Audi, etc. catch up.

#10 ·
The CLA 45 AMG is a respectful entry into the entry level "power market" as I call it.

The 1 series M and RS3 are not that affordable either.

The CLA 45 AMG is well featured and well designed. The power is great and I think the 4Matic drivetrain is perfectly fine.

It really is the cheapest way into the uber car club. I very respectable car.

#11 ·
The AMG is the cheapest AMG but it isnt the cheapest car for the power. There are other competitors. Sometimes I'm not sure what to compare the CLA 45 AMG to. The size is different compared to other cars in the category. It is also a 4 cylinder and FWD most of the time...

#14 ·
What is your height/weight? I'm a bit bigger than your average American male and found the 1 series was just about right. Sat in a BMW Z4 years ago and couldn't handle it, my knees went right up to the vent.

If you're still in the market for a BMW 1 series, it's successor, the BMW 2 series is coming out late this year in a coupe, gran coupe (sedan) and probably a wagon version. Which is much unlike the CLA, being only a sedan.

You might find a 2 series (aka 1 series) that's suitable for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.