Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Multimedia Package: Worth It?

27K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Tonyride 
#1 ·
Anyone planning to get the multimedia package for their CLA? Is it worth the $2,300?

I understand you get a high resolution LCD screen and a rear view camera, but what do the other features give you exactly?

Personally, as long as it has bluetooth connectivity for my phone and can play mp3s, I feel the standard package should be good enough for me.

#2 ·
I don't don't think it's worth it, so I don't plan to get it. Why would I need a six disc DVD changer in this day and age? I feel a smartphone can do most of these things. Just buy a cell mount for your CLA.

Here is a breakdown of the features you get with the multimedia package

320pkg - Multimedia Package
CLA250/CLA250 4Matic/CLA45 AMG: $2,300

512 - COMAND System w/ Hard Drive Navigation
218 - Rearview Camera
- 7.0" High Resolution LCD Screen w/ 3D Map Views
- Enhanced Voice Control System
- 10GB Music Register
- 6-Disc DVD Changer
- Gracenote album information including cover art
- SD Card Slot
- SiriusXM Traffic and Sirius XM Weather

#14 ·
I was wondering the same thing, what was included. All the extra services add up to about 1000.00 per year. (If you opt to have all services)

Mbrace plus with apps = 616.00 yr

Sirius Premier = 197.89 yr
Sirius Select = 159.39 yr
If the traffic/weather subscription is not included add an additional
72.00 yr to either Sirius package.

#6 ·
I'm in the same boat with whether I want to multimedia package as well. If anything I plan to just get the Drive Kit Plus which is an option for the CLA. It's built specifically for the iphone and integrates the CLA functions into the phone. Here's their website

I wonder whats the hold up with pricing on CLA illuminated door sills, seems like such an easy thing to develop and price, easier than most of what the CLA has.

How much do you guys thing illuminated door sills will cost us?

Also what is the CLA Drive kit plus suppose to be? I'm confused as to what exactly it is, unlike the rest, the name is far from being self explanatory

#5 ·
Here's a breakdown of the Driving kit plus and Digital Drivestyle

Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone® [1]

With the "Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone®", your iPhone® 4/4S is comprehensively integrated
in the A-Class. It is integrated through the interaction of the
Mercedes-Benz app called "Digital DriveStyle" with the "Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone®" interface in the vehicle, where the iPhone® is connected and charged.
The "Digital DriveStyle" app is available free of charge at the iTunes® App Store [2]. In the app, extensive functions are seamlessly integrated in the new revolutionary user interface and shown on the vehicle display [3] . With the iPhone® connected, the "Digital DriveStyle" app is reliably and conveniently controlled via the ergonomically designed Controller.

Some of the functions of the "Digital DriveStyle" app:

Advanced navigation solution from Garmin® with web-based real-time traffic information, Points of Interest search and 3D map presentation.
Local search function powered by Google™ of Points of Interest with StreetView™ and destination transfer to Navigation.
AUPEO!™ Personal Radio with individual music programming.
Internet radio with national and international stations.
Access to the track titles stored in your iPhone®.
Facebook® Feeds and Twitter® Tweets from friends are read out aloud[4].
Socially interactive experience through sharing and posting, e.g. the title of the song currently playing or of the navigation destination on Facebook® and Twitter®.
Glympse™: Communicate to your friends - in real-time - your current location, your vehicle speed and estimated time of arrival.
Intuitive CarFinder with automatic storing of vehicle location on iPhone®. By means of the integrated pedestrian navigation function in the iPhone® it is possible to find one's vehicle conveniently.

#7 ·
The drive kit plus sounds promising from mercedes but the only problem is that not everyone owns an iphone. And its not amazing where i should get one just to have these features. I think they should make q version that is android capatible too to reach out to everyone rather than just apple supporters. Mercedes should recognize that as a auto manufacturer and cater to everyone globally.

#8 ·
So the mercedes drive kit plus is some sort of technology package?

shouldn't we be able to use other types of phones, like Androids with just using a cable that supports it, or is it going to be something more complicated like software to read the device, which is just limited to Apple's OS?

#10 ·
I'm just hoping that the Drive Kit app can also be used on an ipad mini.

An ipad mini costs 400 dollars and it has all the functions of the multimedia package like radio, voice control and gbs of music. It just won't have DVD changer but who needs that, I can put movie files on my ipad. The only thing really missing is the rear view camera.

That multimedia package costs nearly 2k more. It's not worth it.

#11 ·
I hope that MBNA decouples the rearview camera from the Multimedia package in the future. Hopefully legislation with require standard rearview cameras within the next 2 years.

#12 ·
I don't know about the rearview camera legislation. I just don't like the idea of legislation forcing people to adopt rearview cameras. It's more costs for the car manufacturer and more money out of the pocket for the consumer. You also can't enforce people to even use it.

How would this law even apply to people who want track cars with all non essential items gutted out?

#13 ·
Plus some cars don't even have navigation systems.

I doubt it will be law but I do think that it should be a standard on Luxury car brands.

Eventually when the competition increases it will one day be standard.

I mean when time comes that it is standard on Hyundais and Acuras I think it is time for Mercedes to step up.

#16 · (Edited)
Plus some cars don't even have navigation systems.
Some? I bet most cars don't have navigation systems. But that doesn't matter. A lot of manufacturers are putting the back up monitor in the rear view mirror. When they put the vehicle in reverse a monitor built in to the rear view mirror (which they will automatically look at anyway when they're backing up) comes on displaying the rear image. No screen on the dash needed.

Eventually when the competition increases it will one day be standard.

I mean when time comes that it is standard on Hyundais and Acuras I think it is time for Mercedes to step up.
You seem to have compared Hyundai with Acura. You're either over valuing one or under valuing the other.

#21 ·
Rear view cameras are useful no doubt. I would choose to have one if the option was available.

One day it might be standard but for now it isn't. Having it standard would mean a very cheap car like say a Honda Fit would need to have a LCD screen or an added screen in the rear view mirror. It does add to the cost (something I don't think manufacturers would be too happy about.

When I was refering to Acura and Hyundai having navigation standard I was just picking two random brands. Not a comparison of the two.

I think the german brands will be the last to make navigation standard. There are many who think it is kind of crazy to not have navigation and leather standard on a "luxury" car.

#26 · (Edited)
I think the german brands will be the last to make navigation standard. There are many who think it is kind of crazy to not have navigation and leather standard on a "luxury" car.
"Luxury" is such a misnomer and a cop-out term that automakers and consumers like to throw out there where it really doesn't mean all that much when you look at it term-wise. There are so many different segments and tiers within each segment and price-point that anything can be luxury when you have an appropriate frame of reference.

#22 ·
I had to drive a Chevy Spark for a couple of days and that has a pretty decent size touch screen..6" I think. If you're not familiar with the Spark (and I don't blame you) it is cheaper than a Honda Fit.

#24 ·
spark is not a bad car. its super cheap. cool little car.

I would never own one though. Just dont have a use for such a small car.

The fit is bigger I believe. And I am super surprised how much you can fit in the Fit. My friend has one and we took a road trip with it once. We managed to fit enough luggage for 3 people for a week.

#25 ·
This is a question that only the specific individual can answer.

Everyone's needs and preferences are different so if you think it's not worth it to you then you already have your answer.

I know that for myself, the rear view camera is a must have. It makes life so much easier in too many situations, especially for me since I prefer to back into my garage/parking spots. Additionally, the voice control, although I don't use it much, it's also a very beneficial feature. Traffic and weather I don't need much personally since I work from home, but the music register is definitely important to me since I love my music. Lastly, the navigation unit--which for me, I would get only for the use of being able to store locations and having immediate accessibility to locations as opposed to having to fumble around with my phone and having to put up a tacky bracket to hold it up so that I can see where I'm going.

For me, I think I would get quite a lot out of that $2300

#27 ·
I got the E1 cla. I was not looking for a car when I saw the CLA because mine had only 23k when I traded it in. Therefore I just got it how it came. No order, no choosing, no waiting. Was a sign and drive. In retrospective, I love my MB and its a great car and comes with great electronic systems when they are involved in mechanics. For the entertainment:

Sorry. they are at least 10 years behind. in technology

1. Dont buy this car for multimedia entertainment. extremely overpriced and definitely not worth it.
2, The HD screen, was so a few years back. there are much better screens nowadays
3. 6 dvd changer: truly, when was the last time you actually played a DVD (bluray may or may not not count).
4. you cant play dvd's while driving due to safety (sorry passenger).
5. The 10gb music registrar as far as I have seen, can only be loaded using ORIGINAL CD'S (do they even sell them anymore?)
6 The ipad/ipod interface has the old jack. add 25 for the adapter!
7. I have been in my current home for 2 years. It does not even exist in the map.

Dont get me wrong. I still love my MB but definitely you need to keep in mind that you are getting a car, not an entertainment center.

#28 · (Edited)
It is worth it to me. I have an iPod so the adapter is perfect. I have tons of original CDs so no issues with the music register. The backup camera is very important to me given where I live. I have Sirius satellite radio in all of our vehicles so that's a must in the CLA also (don't remember if that's part of the Multimedia package or the Premium package). I don't get the playing the DVDs while parked, though. Who does that? I wish there is a way to have a video output to an external monitor or monitors for the rear passengers so they can watch DVDs while I'm driving. I don't need to watch DVDs while I'm driving so I would want the dash monitor to display what ever driver info I want to see (navigation).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.