Mercedes CLA bike rack - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Mercedes CLA bike rack

The dealership catalogue just revealed the bike rack for the Mercedes CLA. Being able to fit 3 bikes is a great design that will allow me to bring friends and family along to the trails. Buying a bike rack is a must for me. Though getting the OEM product will depend entirely on how much it costs.

Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Bike and CLA Thread Paragon New 2014+ Mercedes CLA Pictures 20 10-26-2013 04:48 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Or maybe I'll get a boat instead

post #3 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Same with me which is why I asked about a receiver hitch. I would rather use my 1up USA rack as I paid a lot of money for it but if I can't get a hitch installed then I might have to go the OEM route.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC View Post
The dealership catalogue just revealed the bike rack for the Mercedes CLA. Being able to fit 3 bikes is a great design that will allow me to bring friends and family along to the trails. Buying a bike rack is a must for me. Though getting the OEM product will depend entirely on how much it costs.

Getting a trailer hitch will be one of the best things for anyone wanting to haul around bikes or even a carrier. Good thing with a hitch we can attach a carrier or the bike rack to it. Downside is if you buy these from the Mercedes dealership it's going to cost you!

A good alternative to a trailer hitch and bike rack combo is the universal bike racks that strap onto the trunk and rest on the trunk and bumper. It's the cheaper option.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Mercedes is really pumping out their accessories trying to cut out the aftermarket suppliers from making any money. It's a really nice bike rack with integrated taillights and license plate but to me it just screams expensive.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Or maybe I'll get a boat instead

Haha I think those are for snowboards or skis or maybe your just joking. It's a nice added compartment though none the less.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM

The construction of the bike rack looks very sturdy and I also notice there are even brake lights on there. This tells me that this product will not be cheap. I would probably go with a third party product since there is already a pretty good market out there for them. Check out Thule and Allen Sports. I don't think you can go wrong any way.

For first time buyers, the only thing I would advise against is buying a trunk carrier. I once made that mistake and I paid with scratch marks all over my car paint. I think the same goes for roof racks. Just spend the extra money and do it properly with a bike trailer hitch.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM

The bike rack looks great. I really like the brake lights they put on it. Combined with the boat rack, the CLA makes a pretty decent vehicle for the adventure minded. I hope they aren't too expensive.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODHI85 View Post
The construction of the bike rack looks very sturdy and I also notice there are even brake lights on there. This tells me that this product will not be cheap. I would probably go with a third party product since there is already a pretty good market out there for them. Check out Thule and Allen Sports. I don't think you can go wrong any way.

For first time buyers, the only thing I would advise against is buying a trunk carrier. I once made that mistake and I paid with scratch marks all over my car paint. I think the same goes for roof racks. Just spend the extra money and do it properly with a bike trailer hitch.
Trunk carriers are definitely something to stay away from, although they are cheaper. Better off spending the extra money and get a trailer hitch and hitch mounted bike rack.

Scratches from trunk carriers can get bad enough that it leaves scratches so deep you'll have to get the trunk repainted.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
Trunk carriers are definitely something to stay away from, although they are cheaper. Better off spending the extra money and get a trailer hitch and hitch mounted bike rack.

Scratches from trunk carriers can get bad enough that it leaves scratches so deep you'll have to get the trunk repainted.
Yes sir that is correct you wouldn't want to go through a hassle like that in oreder to just ride a bicycle. the trailer hitch sounds like a safe and sturdier bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page