Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Driving in the snow

34K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  RSM 
#1 ·
Had the pleasure of riding to a work site today with a buddy who has a cla250. It had snowed here a bit and the ground was still wet with about a half inch of snow. He doesn't have winter tires, just the stock ones which unfortunately I forgot to take a good look at.

In any event the car handed really well and I wanted some thoughts from everyone else on this... If you're in a part of the nation that has cold weather and snow, how is your cla handling on the road, and did you get winter tires this year?

Joe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Did the CLA you rode in have the standard 17" wheels or optional 18" wheels? I'm asking because the 17" wheels come with all season tires where the 18" wheels come with summer tires. I'm in the snow belt and I have the Sport Package on my CLA so it has summer tires and I don't drive on snow with them. I have another vehicle I use for snow and icy conditions so I don't know how my CLA handles in those conditions. I'm seriously considering getting a set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels.

#5 ·
Drove the car in the snow today...no bueno..i have those 18inch summer tires and yea they should not be driving in the snow..It wasnt bad on the main roads but as soon as you have an inch or two you can lose control..its doable but def not stable like my audi was. still looks bad *** though :cool:

#8 ·
I agree. With 4 winter tires it should be fine. With summer tires.... not so fine.

#10 ·
Yes you can if you feel switching after each season is a pain. Many people do that and is certainly a logical way to go. But the problem with that is if your car came with summer tires then you will have to discard or sell them if you want to replace them with all season tires right now. Some might consider that a pain. The down side to switching to all seasons now (assuming you have summer tires now and are in the snow belt) is you really don't have the best tires for the seasons. Not the best in snow and ice and not the best for sprited summer driving but you'll get by. I equate that to having cross trainers and hybrid bikes. They do everything OK but nothing well. The up side is less cost and no need to store an extra set of tires/wheels. If my CLA came with all seasons then I would stick with it but since it didn't I chose to get a set of winter tires mounted to another set of wheels as I don't have storage issues and I don't mind spending extra for the better performing tires for the seasons. Not sayine either way is right or wrong. Just up to the individual.

#11 ·
Some people don't like to switch to winter tires

Does it still work? Of course

Just not as well as winter tires

Is your safety worth the set of winter tires?

Also depends on what sort of winter you deal with

If its cold and wet and snows mostly. Winter tires are a safe bet.

#14 ·
They didn't have to sell me on that concept. I've already decided on it.

#17 ·
No problem, I finally have my car coming in next week, what sucks is that I'm going down to FLA so I won't get it until I come back after Xmas, But as far as the tires, I am driving from the dealer straight to pep-boys (6 miles away) and getting them swapped out. I already purchased my all season tires and they are @ the shop waiting on a car to install them on. so basically they will be brand new minus 6 miles. They will be stored indoors so no worries about tires drying out. Unless I get a buyer before that which I doubt considering they are summer tires, , their yours.. !

Reactions: Tonyride
#20 ·
So you have all season tires on your car. Nice and congratulations.

#21 ·
anyone else having issues with frozen windshield fluid? It can be hazardous as the wipers smudge the windshield further in cold, salty conditions in Chicagoland. I called the dealership and they told me that it needs to thaw out properly and there may possibly be some leftover "summer" fluid in there.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

#23 ·
Not to make excuses or trying to justify what I do but I kept the summer run flats and got a set of winter tires/wheels because I don't like to do things half-a$$ed. Nothing against all seasons or am I criticizing anyone who uses them but summer tires are like cross trainers... they do it all but nothing well. I have a separate set of winter tires/wheels combo for my other car as well. I have a very long commute to work everyday (50 miles each way) so in the winter months I need to make sure I get the best possible tires for the conditions I'm faced with so I can get home safely. I'm the same way with cycling. I don't have just one bike for all purposes. I have 2 different mountain bike for different kinds of mountain biking, a road bike for road riding, and a "comfort" bike for riding around town and to tow a bike trailer with my son in it. Each has it's purpose and does them well. My wife is the same way with her bikes and sneakers for running. That's just us. No excuses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.