Driving in the snow - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

 
CLAJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 507
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Driving in the snow

Had the pleasure of riding to a work site today with a buddy who has a cla250. It had snowed here a bit and the ground was still wet with about a half inch of snow. He doesn't have winter tires, just the stock ones which unfortunately I forgot to take a good look at.

In any event the car handed really well and I wanted some thoughts from everyone else on this... If you're in a part of the nation that has cold weather and snow, how is your cla handling on the road, and did you get winter tires this year?

Joe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Moderator, Mercedes CLA Forum | The Internet's Friendliest CLA Forum!
Current: 1998 ML320 (still kickin')
CLAJoe is offline  
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can you fit Snow Skis in the CLA? - Rear folding armrest brianch Exterior and Interior 5 01-07-2014 07:54 AM
4motion of cla 45 and the snow bigben Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG 4MATIC 23 11-22-2013 04:54 PM
CLA Edition 1 Driving scenes dbtk New 2014+ Mercedes CLA Videos 6 11-15-2013 01:07 PM
Changing Wife's Driving Habits Soccerdog New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 8 09-29-2013 08:16 PM
Summer driving CLAJoe Mercedes CLA Lounge 0 06-27-2013 08:21 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Tire Rack gave me a price of almost $1,000 for snow tires for my SLK! Damn...
bnastali is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnastali View Post
Tire Rack gave me a price of almost $1,000 for snow tires for my SLK! Damn...
Got to pay to play. it isn't cheap but alternating between a winter and summer set will last you a long time. Worth the initial investment.
BenzFan is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAJoe View Post
Had the pleasure of riding to a work site today with a buddy who has a cla250. It had snowed here a bit and the ground was still wet with about a half inch of snow. He doesn't have winter tires, just the stock ones which unfortunately I forgot to take a good look at.

In any event the car handed really well and I wanted some thoughts from everyone else on this... If you're in a part of the nation that has cold weather and snow, how is your cla handling on the road, and did you get winter tires this year?

Joe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Did the CLA you rode in have the standard 17" wheels or optional 18" wheels? I'm asking because the 17" wheels come with all season tires where the 18" wheels come with summer tires. I'm in the snow belt and I have the Sport Package on my CLA so it has summer tires and I don't drive on snow with them. I have another vehicle I use for snow and icy conditions so I don't know how my CLA handles in those conditions. I'm seriously considering getting a set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 12-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyride View Post
Did the CLA you rode in have the standard 17" wheels or optional 18" wheels? I'm asking because the 17" wheels come with all season tires where the 18" wheels come with summer tires. I'm in the snow belt and I have the Sport Package on my CLA so it has summer tires and I don't drive on snow with them. I have another vehicle I use for snow and icy conditions so I don't know how my CLA handles in those conditions. I'm seriously considering getting a set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels.
Drove the car in the snow today...no bueno..i have those 18inch summer tires and yea they should not be driving in the snow..It wasnt bad on the main roads but as soon as you have an inch or two you can lose control..its doable but def not stable like my audi was. still looks bad ass though
ace421 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace421 View Post
Drove the car in the snow today...no bueno..i have those 18inch summer tires and yea they should not be driving in the snow..It wasnt bad on the main roads but as soon as you have an inch or two you can lose control..its doable but def not stable like my audi was. still looks bad ass though
Traction, or lack of, isn't the only reason why you shouldn't drive with summer tires in the winter months. The temperature is an issue also. The rubber compound in summer tires gets very hard and brittle below 47F and can split or crack very easily. Be careful with bumps and pot holes if you must drive on them over the winter.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,235
no reason it wouldn't handle the snow fine

its front wheel drive

with winter tires

it'll do great
brianch is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
no reason it wouldn't handle the snow fine

its front wheel drive

with winter tires

it'll do great
I agree. With 4 winter tires it should be fine. With summer tires.... not so fine.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 121
Can't you just stick to all-season tires? Changing between winter and summer tires is a pain. I'd rather have one set of tires that works for the entire year. Cheaper too
Zeus is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Can't you just stick to all-season tires? Changing between winter and summer tires is a pain. I'd rather have one set of tires that works for the entire year. Cheaper too
Yes you can if you feel switching after each season is a pain. Many people do that and is certainly a logical way to go. But the problem with that is if your car came with summer tires then you will have to discard or sell them if you want to replace them with all season tires right now. Some might consider that a pain. The down side to switching to all seasons now (assuming you have summer tires now and are in the snow belt) is you really don't have the best tires for the seasons. Not the best in snow and ice and not the best for sprited summer driving but you'll get by. I equate that to having cross trainers and hybrid bikes. They do everything OK but nothing well. The up side is less cost and no need to store an extra set of tires/wheels. If my CLA came with all seasons then I would stick with it but since it didn't I chose to get a set of winter tires mounted to another set of wheels as I don't have storage issues and I don't mind spending extra for the better performing tires for the seasons. Not sayine either way is right or wrong. Just up to the individual.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome