Just ordered winter tires and wheels - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tonyride

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just ordered winter tires and wheels

After our little snow storm yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and get a set of winter tires mounted to a set of wheels so I can still drive my CLA during the winter months. My plan was to just drive my other car in the winter months but I can't stand seeing my CLA just sitting there not being driven (also it's not good for any car to sit for too long without being driven). So I got on the phone with Tire Rack and about $2000 later they'll ship the package to a local tire shop where they'll put in on the car for me. Since the car didn't come with a jack or lug wrench I can't put it on the car myself. My original plan was to down size it to 17" wheels from the 18" wheels that came with the Sports package so I can get more sidewall and rubber for snow driving but the sales rep at Tire Rack said the 17" wheels won't fit over the larger brakes that came with the Sports Package. I'm glad I called in the order instead of placing it online because otherwise I would have gotten wheels that won't fit on my car as I didn't know about the larger brakes (front). So I got a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with Tire Pressure Sensors. Mounted, balanced, and ready to be installed.
dionisio944 likes this.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered a CLA 250 4Matic w/ Sport Package today Armchair Bronco Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 7 06-13-2014 03:47 PM
winter/summer tires on a CLA45 allan Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG 4MATIC 3 12-03-2013 12:13 PM
has anyone ordered an Edition 1 CLA? brianch Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 10 11-05-2013 04:23 PM
Wiil your replace OEM summer tires with A/S run flat or regular tires? NewMercOwner New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 4 10-28-2013 01:29 PM
Just Ordered My CLA 45 AMG At Fletches Jones CLA45AMG Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG 4MATIC 20 09-03-2013 10:57 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 01:44 PM

I have my cars sit through winter :P

nothing wrong with it.

Why did you get the run flat winter tires? They have the same version but in non run flat.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
I have my cars sit through winter :P

nothing wrong with it.

Why did you get the run flat winter tires? They have the same version but in non run flat.
I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort (and $) for a piece of mind. I drive too long and far to risk running over something that can cause a flat. I know I have MBrace and AAA but in the dead of winter with below freezing temps and possibly having my 3-year-old with me I don't want to have to wait for help.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM

run flats are a waste of money, the likelyhood of a flat happening is rare.
but if you believe it's what you need, then it's what you need,

i guess it's better safe than sorry
post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzFan View Post
run flats are a waste of money, the likelyhood of a flat happening is rare.
but if you believe it's what you need, then it's what you need,

i guess it's better safe than sorry
I see your point and believe me I've argued with myself about it but the same argument can be made for insurance. It's unlikely you'll ever need it but in the unlikely event that you do you'll be happy you have it... and everyone does have it.

post #6 of 8 Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Some pictures of the set

Here are a couple of pictures of the new winter tires and wheels. The day I got them put on my car I had to leave for Germany. While I was away we got about 3 inches of snow. By the time I got back the snow was gone from the streets and these last couple of days the temp got up to the 70's so I haven't had the opportunity to see how well they perform on snow and ice but I'm sure they'll do great. I have a set of Blizzaks on my Accord for 4 winters so I know how well they perform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WinterTires.jpg (85.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg WinterTiresWheels.jpg (232.0 KB, 18 views)

post #7 of 8 Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Now I'm thinking of replacing the center cap with a MB one.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-25-2013, 10:39 AM

They look great!

I decided not to buy snow's this year. The car drove fine in the snow we had recently in CT. I have snow on my old Honda so I think I'll be fine.

Red Jupiter
Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2003 Honda Civic Si
Previous Cars: 2012 Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page