No Spare Tire - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No Spare Tire

Well, by now you all must already know that there is no spare tire. The CLA also does not come with a fix-a-flat. I believe it comes with all-season run-flat tires.

What do you guys do? Purchase a mini-doughnut, fix-a-flat, or just wait for roadside assistance? Any other options?
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare tire solution dionisio944 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension 7 01-23-2014 12:01 PM
Can someone make picture of tire changing kit under the trunk floor? NewMercOwner New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 3 11-22-2013 09:55 AM
Mercedes Benz Silver Tire Valve Caps SLK CLK CLS ML SL G C E A B G Class CLA Mercedes CLA Parts Mercedes CLA Items for Sale on Ebay Classifieds 0 10-17-2013 06:00 PM
Mercedes Benz Silver Tire Valve Caps SLK CLK CLS ML SL G C E A B G Class CLA Mercedes CLA Parts Mercedes CLA Items for Sale on Ebay Classifieds 0 10-14-2013 04:12 AM
winter tire options for the Mercedes CLA brianch Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension 1 09-13-2013 02:09 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboGG View Post
Well, by now you all must already know that there is no spare tire. The CLA also does not come with a fix-a-flat. I believe it comes with all-season run-flat tires.

What do you guys do? Purchase a mini-doughnut, fix-a-flat, or just wait for roadside assistance? Any other options?
Well first off, realistically most Mercedes owners are NOT the type to fix a flat on the side of the road, so that probably factored into Mercedes' design. Also, since it's such a small car putting a spare would eat into the already small amount of space. And mess up their CAFE calculations, which is probably a major consideration for Mercedes to create and bring the CLA for the US market.

Personally I would wait for roadside assistance. I know how to change a flat, but I do not want to get back into my >50k car after getting all dirty changing a flat.
JimboGG likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
Well first off, realistically most Mercedes owners are NOT the type to fix a flat on the side of the road, so that probably factored into Mercedes' design. Also, since it's such a small car putting a spare would eat into the already small amount of space. And mess up their CAFE calculations, which is probably a major consideration for Mercedes to create and bring the CLA for the US market.

Personally I would wait for roadside assistance. I know how to change a flat, but I do not want to get back into my >50k car after getting all dirty changing a flat.
Thanks! I didn't know what the "normal" thing to do would have been. I don't mind waiting for Roadside assistance.

post #4 of 23 Old 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM

road side assistance

run flats

I think you'll be good.
JimboGG likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
road side assistance

run flats

I think you'll be good.
Or even just regular tires, tire patch kit, air compressor and road side assistance JUst in case.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzFan View Post
Or even just regular tires, tire patch kit, air compressor and road side assistance JUst in case.
Who do you roadside assistance with?? MB's monthly plan? mbrace2?
post #7 of 23 Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I believe it comes with all-season run-flat tires.
Only if you have the standard 17" wheels. The 18" wheels all have summer run flats.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Who do you roadside assistance with?? MB's monthly plan? mbrace2?
I subscribe to mbrace2. I also have AAA for my other cars but I suppose I can use it for my CLA also if the MB tech will take too long..

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM

It also depends on what you are going to do with your car. For example, if you live in a city with good roads and only drive around in the city and suburbs, I'd recommend just testing your luck since it will never take all that long for any tow truck to get to you, nor are you all that likely to get a flat. I've driven many miles and honestly I've never had a flat. I've been in Southern WV for a short while around Bluefield (don't know where you are Jimbo) but I can't imagine short of the random nail that any of those roads will blow a tire. If your odds of getting a flat are relatively low and you drive in an area populated enough that it is easy to find support it probably is not worth getting the coverage. And don't forget, if you are rural, it will take a while to get someone to help you regardless of who you have. Mercedes contracts the same local people you would call.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-14-2013, 04:23 PM

they told me you can supposedly run almost 60 extra more miles without any air in the tires and at speeds upto 80km per hour, supposedly no need for roadside assistance because one can probably drive the car to any shop to get the tire repaired or changed... and that is why no extra tire is needed, saving trunk space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page