Where are the fog lights? - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, USA
Posts: 35
(Thread Starter)
Red face Where are the fog lights?

My newly arrived US CLA 250 premium, multimedia, non sport package but with xenons, has a dash switch and "on" display icon when switched on, but I can't find nor see any front fog lights, on or off! The rear fog light is working, however.
Are mine alone not functioning? Do all the rest of you guys have them and work?
bobthebeachbum is offline  
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amber on US spec tail lights CLA Juan Mercedes-Benz CLA 180 / BlueEFFICIENCY 16 06-02-2014 11:14 AM
Mercedes Benz CLA Fog Lights! Yes!! brianch Exterior and Interior 13 10-29-2013 08:02 PM
Tail Lights from CLA Concept Zack New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 2 08-08-2013 01:04 PM
2014 Mercedes CLA 250 - LIGHTS BenzinoXL New 2014+ Mercedes CLA Videos 0 02-01-2013 08:27 AM
2014 Mercedes CLA 250 - LIGHTS BenzinoXL New 2014+ Mercedes CLA Videos 0 01-31-2013 03:06 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
That's a good question. I hit the button and I see the fog light indicator on the dash go on but I can't tell the difference.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,235
The CLA has fog lights? o.0
brianch is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Area-Fremont, CA, SoCal- Irvine, CA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 118
Garage
you can't see any changes from outside and having someone else hit the button? maybe it's built into the headlight? I haven't played with the cla much so I can't say for sure but my 911's foglight was built into the headlight so when I hit the fogs the lower portion of the headlight lights up

Getting shipped from Europe: 2014 CLA250
Current Cars: BMW E92 328I / MB W209 CLK500
Past: BMW E46 325CI / BMW E46 M3 / PORSCHE 996 911 / BMW E92 335I / MB W140 400SEL
KwlAznKid is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville, Tn
Posts: 57
its the rear fog light. europe has alot of foggy conditions. click the button and look at the back of the car.
Nashville is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
OK, I found it and it's quite lame. I don't know if it's the same for non-Xenon/LED tail light models but on mine when you push the fog light button a little red light on the driver side tail light comes on. It's just to the right of the back-up light. It is not on the passenger side tail light. I don't know what purpose that serves or how it is called a fog light. At the front pushing the fog light button just turns on the headlights. I can't tell the difference between turning them on this way or just simply switching the headlight on using the light switch.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Area-Fremont, CA, SoCal- Irvine, CA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 118
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyride View Post
OK, I found it and it's quite lame. I don't know if it's the same for non-Xenon/LED tail light models but on mine when you push the fog light button a little red light on the driver side tail light comes on. It's just to the right of the back-up light. It is not on the passenger side tail light. I don't know what purpose that serves or how it is called a fog light. At the front pushing the fog light button just turns on the headlights. I can't tell the difference between turning them on this way or just simply switching the headlight on using the light switch.
I guessing this is for either..

1. rear fog, as mention above the foggy situations in Europe, many European cars have rear fogs so help other cars see them in dense fog so they don't get rear ended

or

2. on my older w140 I remember there was an option when you park the car on the side of the street you can put your turn signal "on" as in it's left like you're going to turn right or left, and when the car is off a light will light up on the rear of your car, this is for when cars are parked in narrow streets in Europe and at night to keep people driving by from hitting your car, I don't know if this feature is on newer cars though

Getting shipped from Europe: 2014 CLA250
Current Cars: BMW E92 328I / MB W209 CLK500
Past: BMW E46 325CI / BMW E46 M3 / PORSCHE 996 911 / BMW E92 335I / MB W140 400SEL
KwlAznKid is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
2. on my older w140 I remember there was an option when you park the car on the side of the street you can put your turn signal "on" as in it's left like you're going to turn right or left, and when the car is off a light will light up on the rear of your car, this is for when cars are parked in narrow streets in Europe and at night to keep people driving by from hitting your car, I don't know if this feature is on newer cars though
There's a different switch for that feature and I've tested it. If you turn the light switch all the way to the left then the driver side rear "parking" light comes on. Turn it one click to the right and the passenger side rear light comes on. This is independent of the fog light. I'm guessing you didn't get your CLA yet.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
If you have ever been on I-80 in NE Pennsylvania in the fog or have seen the 20 and 30 car pile ups that occur in areas of dense fog, you would appreciate having the rear fog light.

Multiple-vehicle collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red Jupiter
Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2003 Honda Civic Si
Previous Cars: 2012 Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88
Red Jupiter is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Tonyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jupiter View Post
If you have ever been on I-80 in NE Pennsylvania in the fog or have seen the 20 and 30 car pile ups that occur in areas of dense fog, you would appreciate having the rear fog light.

Multiple-vehicle collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I drive I-80 every day to and from work but in NJ but I know about I-80 in PA. I just don't see how that little red light in the driver side tail light is very visible by anyone in the fog. Maybe I'm wrong.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
Tonyride is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome