The first 300 miles - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The first 300 miles

I just brought home my Edition 1 CLA. The closest dealer is about 150 miles from where I live so getting it home was a nice "get to know ya" kind of drive. Here's a few thoughts about the car:

Its beautiful. Seriously. I can't believe the looks I get driving it around. I have been stopped outside of restaurants, etc. by at least 5 people in one day asking about the car.

It is faster than I thought. I test drove a black CLA 250 a week ago -before mine was delivered. It was already sold and the dealer was doing me a favor so I didn't really open it up or push it around. After spending an enthusiastic day with mine I have to say... wow. I'm not a stranger to small displacement engines and turbos. I travel a lot for work and I've spent weeks at a time in Mercedes C300's, BMW 328i's, and other mid-sized and compact cars. I've personally owned, Acuras, Hondas, Subarus, Mitsubishis, among others. My current vehicles are a Ford F-150 Ecoboost and Land Rover LR4. Neither is a stranger to torque. The CLA is replacing a 2005 SAAB 9-3 Convertible 2.0T, a respectably fast car in its own right.

The CLA really shines far beyond the specs on paper. Admittedly it doesn't sound like a V8. But it does pull like one. The power band starts low and continues until red line. I kept hitting the rev limiter in manual mode before I got used to it. It comes fast. 60 - 100 mph also comes quickly. I put about 150 freeway miles on it and had no trouble pulling large, steep hills and passing lines of semi-trucks in a blur. After awhile my cheeks hurt because I had a big, cheesy grin on my face the whole ride home.

To me, how you feel about a car depends in large part on how it behaves trying to pass other cars. That "rush" you get when you hit the gas at 55 or 60. If you feel like its gasping for breath passing someone at 75 mph, its no fun. Not this car. I wouldn't say "amazing" in describing this car's punch. I would say "exciting", "very confident" and "sporting" in spades. It brings plenty of smiles. Especially considering I averaged 30 mpg driving it like I was on fire.

The transmission is great. I've read a ton of reviews and seen the quibbles some people have with this box. After driving it around for a day I have to say those people don't know how to drive. The tranny in this car is perfectly suited to the car if you know how to use it strapped to a 2.0 liter turbo. For those who want leisurely, sedate meanderings around town or the country - it is a solid, smooth, refined drive with perfect low-rev shifts in ECO mode. For those who want a more sporting adventure on curvy roads or in traffic, it responds perfectly. Upshifts are quick and precise. I can see someone who wants to jackrabbit this car between fast revs and low speeds (like a teenage around-the-block test drive) thinking this tranny is rough in spots. It's the driver, not the car. Pick your fun, and this car will go there. I've had cars that were sporty in their drive, but not refined and vice versa. So far this car seems to be able to do both equally well.

Which brings me to the handling. It is superb. The Edition 1 is lower than the standard CLA. It also has the 18' black rims and summer run-flat tires. It isn't your daddy's Cadillac. It is quite smooth for what it is though. This car tracks beautifully with hardly any perceptible understeer. You honestly can't tell it's front wheel drive. There is no torque steer on take offs - even on corners. I read reviews that Merc had been able to do this with the electronic power steering. I was doubtful. I'm not now. What an amazing trick considering how much torque this car puts to the ground. I pushed pretty hard into some 30 mph corners on some 60 mph back roads. Diving into the corner and accelerating out was seamless and felt good. The engine and tranny pulled great and, despite trying, I had a hard time getting the car to break loose or feel unsure in the tightest of turns.

The interior is great. Plenty of soft-touch surfaces and pleasing things to look at. I won't bore anyone with specifics because we've all seen the pics, but the quality is there for sure. The Edition 1 comes with "neon" green stitching, leather seating, and "Dynamica" suede-like surfaces on the seats. There are green and white "racing" stripes in the middle of the seats too. I like it, but could just as well love solid black seats too. A lot of the Merc-standard upgrades are there. For instance, the door side pockets are lined with a soft material on the bottom. Presumably this is to keep the crap that we all stuff down there from rattling around against plastic. Nice.

Did I mention this car is gorgeous?

I'm a happy camper. I'm old enough to get away from the teenage cars and young enough that an S-Class would just seem weird parked in my garage next to my kid's bikes. The CLA is perfect for spirited rides in the hills, long drives to Vegas across the desert and my wife's trips to the gym. I'm glad I bought it.

Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porsche : Cayenne AWD 4dr Tipt ONE OWNER CPO CAYENNE LOW MILES Mercedes CLA Parts Mercedes CLA Items for Sale on Ebay Classifieds 0 11-06-2013 09:21 PM
Mercedes-Benz : Other CLA250 ONLY 12 MILES! Distronic, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Parktron Mercedes CLA Parts Mercedes CLA Items for Sale on Ebay Classifieds 0 10-15-2013 12:20 PM
2,300 CLA250s sold in first week Tonyride New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 11 10-06-2013 08:23 PM
New Member Lynda. 1985 MB 300 TDT Lynda Schmid New Member Introductions 7 08-28-2013 03:26 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 03:01 PM

nice revue bro
post #3 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Bay Area-Fremont, CA, SoCal- Irvine, CA and San Diego, CA
Garage
thanks for the writeup! glad to hear the experience from real owners first hand

Getting shipped from Europe: 2014 CLA250
Current Cars: BMW E92 328I / MB W209 CLK500
Past: BMW E46 325CI / BMW E46 M3 / PORSCHE 996 911 / BMW E92 335I / MB W140 400SEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 05:23 PM

Thank you so much for this review! You seem to see this car the way I do and have felt during all my test drives and your write up summed everything up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Happy to do it...

Really, its fun to sit down and think about some of the things I like about this car. I'm a member of other forums for various things like motorcycles, etc. Its funny how there seems to be a dichotomy that takes shape on these things. Those that like the subject - in this case the CLA - and those that don't and want to find fault. Reading other posts its amazing to me how many people seem to have strong opinions without actually having spent time behind the wheel of the CLA. I guess its natural to have an opinion. I know there's a tendency to "like what you own" and most of us are not good critics in that regard, especially after dropping $40K on it. I like to think I've come far enough in life that I can make rational choices and part of that is based upon some objective assessment of quality, etc. The CLA is a great car for the money. The all around best bang-for-the-buck? Probably not. The most reliable? Who knows? The best looking? In my opinion, yes. I could go through a comprehensive checklist of all the things on the car and how it stacks up in my humble opinion against others I am familiar with. At the end of the day its a subjective choice for everyone and not everyone will agree. I happen to think that most guys between the age of 22 and 50 will though...
post #6 of 18 Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resipsaidaho View Post
Really, its fun to sit down and think about some of the things I like about this car. I'm a member of other forums for various things like motorcycles, etc. Its funny how there seems to be a dichotomy that takes shape on these things. Those that like the subject - in this case the CLA - and those that don't and want to find fault. Reading other posts its amazing to me how many people seem to have strong opinions without actually having spent time behind the wheel of the CLA. I guess its natural to have an opinion. I know there's a tendency to "like what you own" and most of us are not good critics in that regard, especially after dropping $40K on it. I like to think I've come far enough in life that I can make rational choices and part of that is based upon some objective assessment of quality, etc. The CLA is a great car for the money. The all around best bang-for-the-buck? Probably not. The most reliable? Who knows? The best looking? In my opinion, yes. I could go through a comprehensive checklist of all the things on the car and how it stacks up in my humble opinion against others I am familiar with. At the end of the day its a subjective choice for everyone and not everyone will agree. I happen to think that most guys between the age of 22 and 50 will though...
thats the best way to put it, in the end the CLA is not for everyone, it's for those that can look past it's flaws and actually like it. all cars have flaws, none are perfect. it just depends how much you like it.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Wow great read. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Any photos?
post #8 of 18 Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Pics of the my new Ed. 1

I have a couple at the dealer and on the way out. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1464.jpg (179.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1465.jpg (211.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1466.jpg (181.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1467.jpg (206.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1474.jpg (160.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1475.jpg (207.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1477.jpg (251.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1480.jpg (218.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1485.jpg (152.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1483.jpg (235.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by resipsaidaho; 10-08-2013 at 09:15 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 PM

if u dont mind me asking, how much was ur edition 1?
post #10 of 18 Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkong View Post
if u dont mind me asking, how much was ur edition 1?
Like $40K and change. MSRP. No markup, no discount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page