User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fastlane

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
CLA250 First Drive

From the June 2013 issue of Automobile Magazine:

What I find most disheartening about the "first drive" review is the theme I'm starting to see from the different journalists after they have driven it for the first time. Comments like, "The CLA250 will not be the enthusiast's first choice, but he or she shouldn't hesitate to recommend it to that friend who always has wanted, but couldn't afford, a Mercedes." and "With no sporting pretensions, the CLA is a relaxed, comfortable four-door coupe, a "baby CLS" with the drive wheels switched." Sure, they say some nice things about the car but those elements interest me least.

First of all, any car with the aggressive lines and body flares of the CLA, especially when equipped with the AMG-look sports package, has "sporting pretensions" in my book. Whether the car is capable of living up to those pretensions is a different issue. In this case it sounds like it doesn't, at least according to the folks at Automobile. They're also not the first media outlet to offer this line of sentiment towards the CLA.

Second of all, while I will reserve my own judgment until I've had a chance to actually sit in one and drive it, I don't fit the definition of a "non-enthusiast" who couldn't afford a Mercedes and always wanted one.

What lured me towards the CLA45 initially was its specs and looks. I'm in the market for an AWD sports sedan that I won't see myself coming and going in and offers something special. On paper, the CLA45 looks like that car. Based on the car's specs alone the only thing I was apprehensive about was/is its lack of a proper transmission. I can deal with the Haldex over other AWD systems. My MkI TT Quattro was equipped with a Haldex unit as is my current S60R and they were/are both incredible in the deep white stuff. I can even deal with the smaller backseat over some of the incrementally larger cars I was looking at: the 335xi and S4. If the M3 and C63 were available with AWD I would have considered them, too.. The S4 was the most appealing of the cars available in this segment to me...but it still lacked something intangible that I can't put my finger on. And, although I was ready to buy one it just didn't excite me the way I wanted it to.

Enter the CLA45. News of its reveal were enough to keep me from returning to the Audi dealer to put a deposit in an S4. I know the CLA45 will be different from the 250 but enough so that it will appeal to the enthusiasts among us? Will it just be another also ran to cars like the former M135i or the upcoming S3 and RS3? I'm far from giving up on it but this is the kind of news that keeps me from putting down a deposit today.
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Drive in a Mercedes CLA250 brianch New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 40 12-12-2013 12:44 PM
Mercedes-Benz : Other CLA250 2014 MB CLA250 P88 EDITION 1 NAV HARMON/KARDON TURBO FRN Mercedes CLA Parts Mercedes CLA Items for Sale on Ebay Classifieds 0 11-06-2013 04:30 PM
Mercedes-Benz : Other CLA250 1st edition 2014 CLA250 Turbo 2L I4 Automatic Naviagtio Mercedes CLA Parts Mercedes CLA Items for Sale on Ebay Classifieds 0 10-28-2013 03:21 PM
First Drive: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 (Motortrend) 4Matic 2014+ Mercedes CLA Reviews 1 03-11-2013 11:26 PM
2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Sport First Drive (AutoBlog) BenzFan 2014+ Mercedes CLA Reviews 0 03-06-2013 12:21 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Doesn't seem like this journalist is aware that an Audi A3 Sedan and Audi S3 Sedan both that compete directly with the CLA250 and CLA45 AMG are coming out. Better that this guy holds off on getting the CLA or any new compact luxury sedan until all of them get released and can be compared.

Audi S4 and CLA shouldn't be compared, it's just not fair.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM

I'm surprised how Audi never thought of doing a A3 sedan sooner. i guess when Mercedes took the lead it raised some attention in the euro world. BMW has the 2 series gran coupe and now Audi has the A3 sedan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzinoXL View Post
I'm surprised how Audi never thought of doing a A3 sedan sooner. i guess when Mercedes took the lead it raised some attention in the euro world. BMW has the 2 series gran coupe and now Audi has the A3 sedan.
It will be an interesting segment. I think once all three of these hit the production line a storm will break loose. As consumers now with under $40,000 can step in and have a few entry level luxury vehicles to pick from. Mark my word this will change alot in the automotive scene. Japanese auto makers need to come up with something quick.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzinoXL View Post
we should thank Acura and Buick for this, they technically started the whole new luxury compact thing with their Verano and ILX, now higher end car makers see the demand in that niche. Crazy how it's expanding now!
MERC likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
we should thank Acura and Buick for this, they technically started the whole new luxury compact thing with their Verano and ILX, now higher end car makers see the demand in that niche. Crazy how it's expanding now!
Unfortunately for those two, we have the three best luxury automakers are moving in. BMW with their 2 series, Audi with their A3, and Mercedes with their CLA (obviously). I wonder how Acura and Buick will respond. Probably massive rebates.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC View Post
Unfortunately for those two, we have the three best luxury automakers are moving in. BMW with their 2 series, Audi with their A3, and Mercedes with their CLA (obviously). I wonder how Acura and Buick will respond. Probably massive rebates.
I dunno. I think the perception of Buick as a luxury sport brand is going to take time. Their Verano and Regal sales are slowly gaining momentum. Not sure about Acura though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page