How to Wash My Black CLA? - Page 2 - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 PM

First off, avoid and decline dealership washes or detailing in general from them.

Also avoid the tunnel washes with the rotating brushes, your black car will exit the tunnel looking gray and with lots of inflicted damage from the brushes.

You need to do a VERY thorough pre-rinse before you start to hand wash the car yourself. You could also do a foam bath prior to the hand wash. When washing by hand, use the 2 bucket method and have grit guards in the buckets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyride View Post
My problem with trying to wash my car this time of year is the temperature. Yesterday the temperature reached a high of 11 F. This morning on my drive to work it was 9 degree and expected to reach a high of 24. Not too favorible for me.
my suggestion in the winter?

look up opti-coat or cquartz. find an installer in your area. or shoot me a PM and I'll find you the best installer in your area.

very durable sealant that will protect your paint and make it much easier to clean.

then find a laser drive through wash (touchless car wash - preferably with no rails for your rims)
post #13 of 37 Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM

I heard the chemicals in the touchless car washes can be harsh and strip car wax and car sealants, would this be the case with products like opti-coat and cquartz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Does anyone recommend using a waterless detailer during super cold weather to get some of the grim off their car?

Red Jupiter
Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2003 Honda Civic Si
Previous Cars: 2012 Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88
post #15 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM

You could technically use a waterless wash solution to clean the car but there are some concerns.

1. You are cleaning the car but that does not mean you are not scratching the car. There simply is not enough lubrication in most waterless wash products to remove the kind of grime that winter brings safely. Not without going through BAGS of microfiber cloths...

2. In the super cold weather the detailer might even just freeze on the surface. Some of the low temps may be so low that the cleaning and lifting agents in the solution may not be working properly which could continue to lead to damaging the surface.

Personally I would head to a heated pressure washer coin operated car wash business and spend the $2-$3 and get the car cleaned that way. The hot water should be able to blast most of the salt off without having to really use soap. And if you do need soap you can either use the soap they have there (downfall is that the soaps are kind of harsh and might strip/hurt wax and sealants) or bring your own premixed soap in a spray bottle.

Hope that helps. Winter is a big bummer but with the right tools and patience and frozen fingers you can get through it while still maintaining the paint finish.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 AM

Great idea, thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Red Jupiter
Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2003 Honda Civic Si
Previous Cars: 2012 Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88
post #17 of 37 Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 AM

i admit it. i just drive my 300c 4matic through the carwash where it is blowndry by these big machines. results. great. im not a perfectionist but when i really want it gleaming i pay for the more advanced waxes dtc. most folks think my car looks great. this is for us who do not want to wash, wax and manicure their car. dont obsess about it too much. im probably in the minority but its what ive donefor years with all my black cars. (too many to count)
post #18 of 37 Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 AM

I don't obsess over my car either. Of course I want to keep it looking good as long as possible but within reason.

Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Carlsson C-Tronic.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
post #19 of 37 Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 AM

After I bought my car, I noticed on the black window pillar had swirls. This was a new car. From this I know I would not give the dealer my car to wash.
post #20 of 37 Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyride View Post
My problem with trying to wash my car this time of year is the temperature. Yesterday the temperature reached a high of 11 F. This morning on my drive to work it was 9 degree and expected to reach a high of 24. Not too favorible for me.
yeah.. weather is always a problem. I went to an auto detailing place and they gave me some advice on washing my car. The little scratches they said were probably from wiping it down in a swirling motion. The said they can easily buff it out and recommended me put a sealant on it. Which to me sounded like a good idea. Told me it'll last for about 10 years. So I have an appointment end of Jan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page