Thermostat issue and leaking coolant
Wanted some advice from you people if possible.
I own a CLA180 2013 model. Here is in a chronological order, what happened:
- battery seemed like it was giving up after 5yrs (normal); stopped getting the ECO option, the hill-hold stopped working.
- got a P0128 error. Had my mechanic check it out, we decided to clear it and see if it happens again, since I had read that a low battery could affect thermostat operation.
- replaced battery in the meantime.
- I kept an eye on the temp gauge, everytime I drive it. Noticed the temperature rising from cold, then say when it hits 60, it would go down to low again, then hit 80 maybe, and down to 40, and keep oscillating until eventually it would reach normal operating temp. It would then stay there, maybe maybe, go down to 80 again on occasion. But it would take a long time to stabilise in the first place. Never got the P0128 error again though.
- Then I started getting a 'top up coolant' msg. I thought the thermostat is leaking. However, I had a look at the coolant tank, seems like there is residue just below it. I'm topping up with some water, but keeps lowering. I'm guessing it has got nothing to do with the other issue. Some pics attached.
What do you guys think?
Thanks a bunch!