Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
My takeaway from all the reviews about this car is that
1) People in their minds keep on seeing this as a mini-CLS instead of what it really is, a long A-Class.
2) People expect this 4 cylinder AMG engine to be just like the insane (and, frankly, to be phased out) M156 engine that really catapulted AMG into the spotlight against BMW's M division.
3) People seem to think this is either a luxury cruiser a la Lexus (and complain about the ride) or that it is a purpose built track day car a la Ariel Atom (and complain it can't shift smoothly in 1/100th of a second).
4) People can't get over the fact that quantity is more important than quality
1) It's an A-Class!! And Mercedes is more Toyota than Aston Martin. They have always made cheap cars, trucks, semis, and everything else. It's just in the US that they are seen as a purely luxury brand. They aren't. And this is NOT a high end luxury car. It's barely an entry level luxury car.
2) 4 cylinder does NOT equal 8 cylinder
3) It's a mix of both. Nobody complains that the M3 needs to strip down to the chassis to be more track day, or get Infiniti suspension so it can be a moving lounge car.
4) Not everyone expects a Suburban when you pay 50k. Some people want a smaller box that isn't crap. And is it that hard to consider that a decent amount of that 50k is because it went to the lowest Cd of any production car or the engine that has the highest per liter output of ANY production engine in the world? If you want a car that spends most of your 50k on the interior and 50 cents on the engine, go buy the luxury Kia. And if you want your 50k engine and 50k interior, go get the S-Class.