Mercedes CLA Versus Infiniti Q50 - Page 2 - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
You just had to do it didn't you

Depending on how you like your Q50 flavored it could compete with the CLA 45 AMG
Lol of course!

Imagine the CLA in that color. Wait... i think the CLA would actually look good in that brown/bronze metallic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Test drove the Q50

The Q50 I tested:
-Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium RWD (31 MPG on sticker)
-Venetian Ruby Red
-Wheat interior w/ Kaachu Aluminum
-Navigation Package

MSRP $46,255

Summary

Looks: 8/10 (Like I've already mentioned, the exterior of the Infiniti is a nice balance of poised elegance. It's not overly aggressive and stylish nor is it understated or too austere. It won't turn every head but it's likely to grab most people's attention. In this case, the non-Sport Hybrid loses a couple points and panache due to the smaller 17" wheels and a lack of presence that I think the Sport model provides to the exterior. The interior on the other hand, while not having the Sport seats or wood trim, is still highly detailed and premium focused without being gaudy. It's no doubt where a lot of the money went to in the design and refinement of the car. The interior is where the Q50H shined this time.)

Performance: 7.5/10 (I wasn't overly impressed by the power of the car that is, UNTIL I got back into my G37 and immediately noticed how quick the Q50 Hybrid actually was. It's definitely a rocket. I will say this--I really dig the Drive mode selector too--I spent some time usually between Personal, Normal, and Sport modes and I definitely felt the differences in the steering effort and the responsiveness of the engine/transmission, which I thought were great. However, I did feel that the steering and control of the car in general felt...odd. Not great, not bad, but...odd, just a little different. It's hard to describe but I'll spend more time on the steering and handling of the car tomorrow when I get more space to roam. When it came to getting up to speed, braking, and shifting, it did very well. Unfortunately the whole package didn't quite blow me away to be honest which was a little disappointing.)

Personal Practicality and Appeal: 8.25/10 (It's one of the largest compact sedans in its segment so you won't ever feel like you're claustrophobic nor will you feel like you're driving a bus either. For me, coming from a comparably sized G37 with 21mpg moving to a Q50 with 31mpg with similar dimension, it greatly reduces the amount of acclimation or learning curve I'd ever have in moving to the Q50 Hybrid. The only downside I feel is that getting a Q50 now versus in a year or two is still a bit of a worry given the problems that are steadily arising at the point. However, until that time, it's going to be a while before you see a Q50 on every corner. The only other reason why I can't give it higher marks is because I've yet to see a Q50 that can match the exclusivity, uniqueness, and the appeal that I still receive from my Limited Edition sedan. Get on those red seats, Infiniti!)

Options/Tech: 8.5/10 (Infiniti actually gets a great bucket of win here. I spent a good amount of time messing around with both the navigation menu but as well as the instrument cluster menus, the apps, the settings, and all of the physical buttons. The touch screen response was good and any lag time was undetectable or was just as quick or quicker than what I see in my G37 screen. I paired up my Windows phone quickly and easily and the BTA playback was flawless. I was even able to set and find a navigation destination with good ease. While we were driving around I even got a quick text while I was on the road and was able to test the voice-recognition response as well. Everything worked great. I love the redundant nav screen in the instrument cluster and the little animated car/gas tank indicator thingy. I like the sharpness of the nav screen and both screens in general, but I did notice that fuzziness in the rear view camera people were telling me about. Again, the biggest and only disappointment for me was the Bose audio and for me, that's important. It barely sounded much better than what's in my G37 and it's nowhere near the quality of the ML system in the Lexus or the B&O system in the A4/A5. Infiniti needs some kind of upgraded audio system if they want to stay competitive with audiophiles like me. Other than that, I did find that where the Q50 shined the most in the category was in the ease of control)

Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium with Navigation Package

Overall: 8/10

Bottom Line: Overall, what ultimately became the highlight of this car was the straight line acceleration, the interior fit and finish, the technology, and the practicality of its dimensions and fuel economy. On the whole, I think the car still has a way to go in the handling and body control department. I definitely felt that change in feel that the DAS provides and I don't know how I feel about it right now but I'll try to get the car out in the open a bit more to test the different Drive Mode and steering options.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Sweet, high-content vehicle! But...It lacks that Mercedes touch. The headlights look drowsy, the side character lines lack CLA depth, interior is pretty, big seats seem frumpy in their width. Of course, it lacks the three-pointed star!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnastali View Post
Sweet, high-content vehicle! But...It lacks that Mercedes touch. The headlights look drowsy, the side character lines lack CLA depth, interior is pretty, big seats seem frumpy in their width. Of course, it lacks the three-pointed star!
There's no doubt that even though the CLA is the cheaper and less powerful car, the CLA has the much higher appeal and brand value (most people still don't know how to spell Infiniti but everyone knows how to spell Mercedes Benz). I will also say that from the side, the Infiniti Q50 is definitely a much less head turning car, but at the same time, the Q50 squashes the CLA as far as interior fit and finish go..

But, again, this is more of a MASHUP style review thread. To me, the two cars are in two separate classes and it's not adding much to compare the two directly, at least for the Hybrid especially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page