Test drive report, A3,CLA,320i - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By sleepyhead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Test drive report, A3,CLA,320i

Monday I was able to drive all three cars back to back, brand new from dealerships. I wasn't quite sure which of the three I want to order but now I do.
1st ride- 2015 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro premium.
First impression, it looks a little small but inside is decent (comparing to the others...cheapish, low $). Seats were comfortable. It is pretty sporty to drive! Very good acceleration and road feel! Quiet over bumps and kinda fun. Decent base stereo. A lot of standard features for the base model.

2nd ride- 2014 BMW 320i xdrive
Very handsome car (white) looks and feels like the more expensive BMWs. It is heavy! The doors close with a solid chunk and the drive is very nice, more luxury than sporty but it has a heavy heavy stick to the road feeling. The seats are very comfortable and decent size inside. *The motor is the downside* this car has no balls! I guess the extra heavy car and xdrive eat all the power. But, if you're not into that, the motor is adequate for getting the car around. This would be my second choice if I couldn't have a CLA and I'd be very happy with it. Although even where I live in NH, I would opt for the rear drive only and this is also the only car available with a stick shift.

Final test drive 2014 CLA base FWD with some nice options, sunroof, rear camera
Visually outstanding! Interior is great! It has more of a cockpit type feel and the sides and dash seem much higher like you're in a mustang. Gauges look sweet, the seats are great, they're different..like a high back sportier feel. This car was FWD and you couldn't tell. It has great acceleration, I don't like the Eco start/stop but you push a button and that's off. It's heavy enough but not too heavy. Overall my favorite of the three and although my wife says she never has liked Mercedes, she likes this car! As long as I get a black one.

So it looks like I'm ordering a black(or mountain grey) CLA with bi-xenon,heated seats,sun roof and mayyyyybe the Becker map if I can get the price total around $33.5
Bill, Northern NH
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CLA Test Drive: Eco vs Sport holding New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 13 10-02-2013 03:25 PM
2014 Mercedes CLA 250 vs. 2013 BMW 320i fastlane Mercedes CLA Versus the Competition 17 06-27-2013 10:18 AM
Invitation for a test drive Tonyride New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 1 05-02-2013 12:53 PM
Mercedes Benz CLA - Test Drive 4Matic New 2014+ Mercedes CLA Videos 1 04-29-2013 01:11 PM
Hypebeast Takes the New 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA for a Test Drive brianch New 2014+ Mercedes CLA Videos 2 04-03-2013 12:57 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Thanks for the review and posting!

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
AutoGuide
post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 AM

The Audi's a Jetta and it showed when I saw it (never tried it). Then again the CLA is a A/B-class. But at least it didn't show that. Personally I don't think FWD/RWD matters for most people. Even I don't really care unless I get on a twisty road, and most people at that point just slow to a crawl. Though in NH I'm sure you're to have some fun. I've been to VT before and there's really no such thing as a true highway or a straight road outside of the villag . . . towns.
AG Jeff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM

Interesting report. I have a black CLA with the sport package which I've had since Jan 1. It took a little getting used to (turbo, stop start feature, screen controls) but now love it as my everyday driver. Living just south of you in Massachusetts, I wish I had held out for the AWD version for improved traction in snow. BTW, I also looked at the BMW 320i and wasn't all that impressed with the 4 cyl version - glad I went with the CLA. Good luck with yours.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 PM

Increasingly competitive and surprisingly refined, the compact luxury car segment is attracting more attention as entrants offer the same layouts and luxuries as their larger counterparts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement