FRS/BRZ vs. CLA 250 - Page 2 - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
It is very difficult to compare the two.

The CLA is not a performance car. It's not a sports car.

Maybe the AMG but even then. It's still a FWD bias sports car.

Your FRS will always have better turn in and exit speeds. It lacks torque. It lacks luxury. It lacks overall quality.

Subaru made your car. The panels are thin, the paint is cheap. The interior is very basic.

But it WORKS. It's a functional car and it was made for people to mess with. You buy the FRS because of the handling and fun.

You buy the CLA because its affordable, it looks good inside and out, its a Mercedes.

In my opinion the CLA is a mature car to buy compared to the FRS.

The FRS will always be a toy to me. A great one at that.

It depends what you want out of the car and how the car fits into your current lifestyle and demands.
good points cfrp but i also dont think the cars can be ruled out as competitors you just have to consider whos buying them. For a young person the FRS/BRZ is a definite competitor becasue of its fun factor and impracticality, for a mature buyer the FRS/BRZ is completely inappropriate..

One of the most interesting things about the CLA is where does it fit in the market and who exactly is it for? Because those lines are blurred it opens the CLA up to competition from places not normally considered, like FRS/BRZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Its personal opinion.

I think the CLA vs FRS/BRZ debate is a debate between buying a Mature car with Mercedes badge and interior vs a boy racer front engine RWD sports coupe with a subaru interior and no rear usable seats.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Its personal opinion.

I think the CLA vs FRS/BRZ debate is a debate between buying a Mature car with Mercedes badge and interior vs a boy racer front engine RWD sports coupe with a subaru interior and no rear usable seats.
Hmm... Although I do agree with the fact that two "different" types of people will be looking at these, I wouldn't say one is more "mature" than the other. First off the whole reason the "debate" came up was because they are very much in the same price range. Also there have been plenty of people that are part of the "older more mature" crowd that have bought these cars. Sayin that only "boy racers" buy the twins is definitely arguable. I believe when the CLA comes out you will see much of the "racer boy" crowds buy the MB.

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling." - Jeremy Clarkson

-2013 Scion Raven FR-S
-2009 Honda Green/Black CBR600RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivtec View Post
Hmm... Although I do agree with the fact that two "different" types of people will be looking at these, I wouldn't say one is more "mature" than the other. First off the whole reason the "debate" came up was because they are very much in the same price range. Also there have been plenty of people that are part of the "older more mature" crowd that have bought these cars. Sayin that only "boy racers" buy the twins is definitely arguable. I believe when the CLA comes out you will see much of the "racer boy" crowds buy the MB.
I agree that one can't be more mature than the other, there are practically people of all ages buying these cars and as far as im concerned these cars hold the same status.

Just because the CLA has a Benz badge on it, it's still an entry-level model and isn't all that baller or mature.

Mature is rolling in a new S-Class....like a sir.
booker and Sivtec like this.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
don't take it to offence.

I know there are many FRS BRZ owners that are very mature.

I was referring to the car itself. It's a boy racer car. Doesn't mean the owners are all boy racers.

I think if you get the CLA you will miss the handling and agility of the FRS. But you will sure appreciate the comfort and interior.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
don't take it to offence.

I know there are many FRS BRZ owners that are very mature.

I was referring to the car itself. It's a boy racer car. Doesn't mean the owners are all boy racers.

I think if you get the CLA you will miss the handling and agility of the FRS. But you will sure appreciate the comfort and interior.
It's all good. I understand what you were trying to say. I will definitely go test drive it... maybe more than once . See if it's something I can live with.

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling." - Jeremy Clarkson

-2013 Scion Raven FR-S
-2009 Honda Green/Black CBR600RR
post #17 of 18 Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
It's all good. I understand what you were trying to say. I will definitely go test drive it... maybe more than once . See if it's something I can live with.
Not if you like rowing yourself. on paper alone the CLA will not even come close to the fun factor of the FRS/BRZ.. although that also depends on ones definition of fun...
post #18 of 18 Old 09-07-2013, 07:39 PM

What stands out the most when it comes to driving experience is FWD vs RWD.

The second is the lack of a real manual transmission in the CLA.
Sivtec likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page