What can you buy for around $35k-$45k? - Page 3 - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzFan View Post
I haven't heard many good things about (B Classes), but I also see them everywhere I go, so that must be a good sign, no?

What exact problems have you had with it?
1. sunroof leaked from Day 1; two weeks after we got the car, the inside of the sunroof panels were dripping wet with condensation from the leak. One opening panel was replaced and it stopped leaking. Stained headliner was replaced.

2. front suspension clunks sometimes, sway bar droplinks replaced, noise persists.

3. chrome trim on the ignition switch surround wrinkles up and shrivels, replaced.

4. all sunroof panels in the car crazed (they are made of Makrolon) and were replaced; replacement panels started leaking again. Two repairs to stop the leak have been made and maybe it won't leak any more...?

5. starter motor failed at 84,000 km, replaced under ELW.

6. all 5 doors began to corrode where the door skin is crimped around the inner door frame. Well known problem on several Mercedes models; they stepped up and replaced all 5 doors for free. I rustproofed the new panels myself, to be sure it doesn't happen again.

7. second starter motor failed at 119,000 km, replaced under ELW.

8. Air Conditioning compressor failed (well it still worked but it was constantly growling); replaced under ELW.

9. RF wheel bearing failed at 130,000 km, replaced under ELW.

10. Driveshafts tick occasionally and will probably need replacement under ELW before 160,000 km.

There have been other things with crappy trim etc but these are the main ones. If you add up the retail cost of all these repairs, it would be over $20,000. I paid a couple grand for the ELW and it's the best money I have spent on this car.

I have a 5 speed manual in mine, but the CVT automatic transmissions in the B Class are fragile and usually need repair before 160,000 km, to the tune of $3000 or $10,000 depending upon the type of failure.

Despite the scandalous repair record of my B Class, I would consider buying a CLA or new B Class, but only after the car is 4 years into production, to see if any problems have cropped up.

The "usual" problems with these cars are the CVT, driveshafts, sunroof, starter motors.

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed
2006 smart BRABUS Canada 1 cabriolet
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Wow. You have had a long list of problems.

So out of curiosity why are you looking at the CLA? Most people in your position run over to Lexus or Infiniti.
post #23 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM

I like the look of the CLA but truth be told, the B 250 is much more suitable for me.

Infiniti and Lexus? I don't fit in the back of either of them (nor would I with the CLA) - plus I hate how they look and drive...I'd never buy either one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
I like the look of the CLA but truth be told, the B 250 is much more suitable for me.

Infiniti and Lexus? I don't fit in the back of either of them (nor would I with the CLA) - plus I hate how they look and drive...I'd never buy either one.
What about the B 250 makes it so suitable for you? family?
Also what Infiniti's and Lexus's have you driven that you hate? I've been in quite a few and majority of them are quite nice.
post #25 of 47 Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM

More rear seat headroom in the B250.
post #26 of 47 Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
1. sunroof leaked from Day 1; two weeks after we got the car, the inside of the sunroof panels were dripping wet with condensation from the leak. One opening panel was replaced and it stopped leaking. Stained headliner was replaced.

2. front suspension clunks sometimes, sway bar droplinks replaced, noise persists.

3. chrome trim on the ignition switch surround wrinkles up and shrivels, replaced.

4. all sunroof panels in the car crazed (they are made of Makrolon) and were replaced; replacement panels started leaking again. Two repairs to stop the leak have been made and maybe it won't leak any more...?

5. starter motor failed at 84,000 km, replaced under ELW.

6. all 5 doors began to corrode where the door skin is crimped around the inner door frame. Well known problem on several Mercedes models; they stepped up and replaced all 5 doors for free. I rustproofed the new panels myself, to be sure it doesn't happen again.

7. second starter motor failed at 119,000 km, replaced under ELW.

8. Air Conditioning compressor failed (well it still worked but it was constantly growling); replaced under ELW.

9. RF wheel bearing failed at 130,000 km, replaced under ELW.

10. Driveshafts tick occasionally and will probably need replacement under ELW before 160,000 km.

There have been other things with crappy trim etc but these are the main ones. If you add up the retail cost of all these repairs, it would be over $20,000. I paid a couple grand for the ELW and it's the best money I have spent on this car.

I have a 5 speed manual in mine, but the CVT automatic transmissions in the B Class are fragile and usually need repair before 160,000 km, to the tune of $3000 or $10,000 depending upon the type of failure.

Despite the scandalous repair record of my B Class, I would consider buying a CLA or new B Class, but only after the car is 4 years into production, to see if any problems have cropped up.

The "usual" problems with these cars are the CVT, driveshafts, sunroof, starter motors.
I never knew the B class had so much issues early on. That is a long list of issues and headaches. How much money out of your own pocket did you have to spend for some of these problems or were they all covered under warranty?
post #27 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM

That is what warranty is for.

I doubt the CLA will be complete trouble free. It will have problems too. Just look at A class owners. It isn't exactly smooth.
post #28 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 PM

I paid $2400 for the ELW so that's what all of the above cost me.

post #29 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM

There are plenty cars in this price range. It is a very competitive arena.

The CLA has a unique niche being 4Matic and 4 cylinder turbo. It has good gas mileage and doesn't look bad. I prefer the CLA interior to other cars in the range. And the exterior reminds me of my CLS.

12 CLS63
11 C350
post #30 of 47 Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM

Don't forget about the 2014 Buick Regal Turbo.

I believe it's going to start around $33k and it's got a damn good motor in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page