Mercedes CLA Forum banner

A 5000 mile overview

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Tonyride 
#1 ·
Drove the car brand new to and from Florida to Delaware. Averaging 25 mpg city, 33 mpg long trip highway. I have been using regular gas since new, and feel no adverse affects. I am not a performance freak, but love the power as is.

My disappointments, in order of magnitude and frustration are:
No keyless entry.
Jolting suspension over rough roads.
Difficult to see speedometer reading in daylight. Wished it was reversed with tachometer.
Run flat tires. I have the standard 17" rims and all season tires, ordered because I did not want to have 2 sets of seasonal tires, which are not needed in southern Delaware.
Poor storage area upfront (with pan roof), no passenger assist handle.
No front fog lights (non sport package).
More interior road noise than what I had expected. No wind noise, however.
Gas mileage not up to EPA ratings.
Road slop from wet or slushy roads enter behind the doors significantly, shows with white color.
Several not so great or intuitive controls or displays. Audio the worst.
Having all stalk controls on left side. I've hit cruise control when I intended to use directional signals, etc.

What I like the most:
Beautiful styling, looks great in white with grey MBTex interior.
Not bothered at all by interior size nor rear headroom. Adult rear passengers should be warned not hit their heads upon entering, however.
Great seats, very pleasant ride comfort.
Harmon Kardon sound system.
Powerful acceleration.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I just hit 5000 miles also but I'm waiting for the end of the month to do a 6-month evaluation. I agree with almost everything you said except I have the Sport Package still no fog lights (does have LED DRL with Bi-Xeon) but with that I got 18" summer tires so I had to get a set of winter tires/wheels/TPMSs. I haven't gone on any long drives yet (>50 miles a stretch) but we're going up to Canada in June so I'll have some feedback on the ride, seat comfort, and fuel economy then. I only use premium gas (93 octane) so that may help with meeting the advertised fuel economy.

#3 ·
You know, I never quite understood keyless entry. I personally would not want it for the reason shown in a Top Gear episode when they were in the western US. Hammond was testing a Challenger that had this. They were sitting at a diner and close enough to where the car was parked that Clarkson actually drove the car and dumped in the middle of the road as a prank. I would not want the car to unlock in proximity. I could see myself in a restaurant close enough to the car that it could be opened but far enough that I wouldn't notice someone going in an rummaging about. Especially with a faux iPad on the dash.

As for gas mileage, you can't really expect EPA until you at least use the rated fuel. In terms of location of things, that'll come with time. I've been in my share of non-intuitive cars, but they all become intuitive with time.

#6 ·
Nobody makes EPA numbers, but your fuel "should" be OK. I don't understand "worst sound system, and love of HK system.?.?

#10 ·
My brother's Altima you need to be standing right next to the door (or the transponder needs to be) in order to open it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.