Squealing/grinding noise during first turn after cold start - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By leslieliang

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Squealing/grinding noise during first turn after cold start

My car (2016 CLA 250 with ~16000 miles) started exhibiting a weird noise around February 2017. I didn't pay too much attention to it until these two months. I noticed it was not a one time thing, so I brought it into my dealer. The first time I brought it in, they didn't find anything wrong. A few days later, it did it again, so i decided to record it to show them. I brought it in a second time and the service advisor thought it was a heatshield issue from watching the video. The mechanic did not agree, but he took the car to check for issues. A few days later, the service advisor called me and said there was a sheered bolt on the heatshield which they replaced. This was on September 9th. Today, September 17, I experienced the noise again.

The noise happens as I am making a 90-100% right turn after I cold start the car, sit until RPMs drop until ~800RPM, and drive straight a car's length worth of distance. The car has to be sitting in my garage, engine off, for at least a day, for the noise to occur. Based on this last condition, I am assuming it is temperature related, as in, the car needs to cool down to ambient for the condition to occur. I've tried, immediately after the car makes the noise on the turn, to back up and drive forward following the same path, but it only happen that initial time. Below I have videos and a picture of the travel.

My garage is right in front of that grey car. So I have to drive the distance of that car and make a right turn out of my garage.

Driver POV
[video=youtube;OukXwVb1tMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OukXwVb1tMk[/video]

Outside POV
[video=youtube;y11FqWlkIGM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y11FqWlkIGM[/video]
I do not intentionally try to get the noise to come in, so I have not tested other conditions,
mdhira1 likes this.
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch takeup noise collinh Problems & Solutions 0 12-11-2014 08:06 AM
CLA45 AMG Cold Start Performance Exhaust DustinDep Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG 4MATIC 0 07-13-2014 06:32 AM
Its cold outside PA-CLA New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 12 02-24-2014 09:33 PM
road noise jsarratt New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 14 10-30-2013 04:23 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
New to BB code. Sorry for original botched post.

Driver POV
[youtube]OukXwVb1tMk[/youtube]

Outside POV
[youtube]y11FqWlkIGM[/youtube]
post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2018, 12:08 AM

Is the grinding noise coming from the starter as it is being turned, or from the engine when it is starting up? The starter will grind when it is improperly installed, or it is broken and the gears are not meshing correctly. Sometimes a shim will align the starter and keep it from grinding. If the gears are worn the starter will need to be replaced. The engine can make a grinding noise when it is starting because the oil is not circulating through the engine yet. The oil collects at the bottom and needs a moment to become warm and properly circulate through the system. Pinpoint where the noise is coming from and then you can determine if you need to take action or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 AM

Every morning before I leave, I call my Mercedes and warm it up for about 5 minutes. And that's it.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-07-2018, 12:59 PM

some times i have problems in vietnam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page