Problems with new MBCLA 250 - Mercedes CLA Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Problems with new MBCLA 250

Hello everyone

I just bought a new MB CLA 250 (cosmos black, black interior with ashwood trim, sports/premium package). I signed the deal yesterday and was gonna pick up the car at the same time. But at the last minute I was told that there was some problem with the car. They said there was some "modular problem". On enquiring further they said that the car lamp module had some problem, that it says "check car lamp" even when the car lamp is on. They could not figure out what the problem was and told us that its probably gonna take them couple of days to figure out what the problem is. They also told me that its not a big issue and everything should be fine. I expressed my concerns that this a new car and it already has started giving problems. I dont want any more problems in long run. But they reassured that it should be fine.

Of note, since this was end of the year purchase and the car had some additional features that i didnt really want but still paid for it, I asked for discount and they gave me 3% discount on MSRP (this discount was before we figured out that the car had problem). I am not sure if this is a "lemon" car and thats why they gave me this discount in the first place.

If they are able to fix this issue, should I take this car? Or should I insist on changing the car and getting a new car? Should I just ask for more discount and keep this car?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Enjoy this discussion? You might also enjoy ...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CLA problems holding New 2014+ CLA General Discussion Forum 4 08-26-2013 02:27 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 PM

i haven't heard of others with the problem

could be a fault module or fault wiring. they probably will have to diagnose it by going through the possible causes one by one. i wouldnt be too worried.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2014, 03:22 AM

The MB STAR system, when it made its debut, was much more capable because it was PC-based (IBM T30 laptop), but it was also very versatile

because it incorporated a HHT emulation mode (for backward compatibility) along with a "multiplexer" intermediate unit between the PC and the car,

which allowed the connection of a variety of different diagnostic connection cables, depending on which diagnostic system the car in question happened

to use. For the oldest cars (i.e. the C126, early R129 SL models, early W124s and W140s, etc.) a "four-pin" diagnostic cable was provided. For second-

generation cars, such as the E500E, 400E/E420, middle and later R129s, middle and later W140s, the familiar "38-pin" plug is provided. There are also

OBD-2 interface cables for model year 1996 and later cars, as well as a 14-pin cable for European diagnostic systems. All of these cables allow the

combination of the MB STAR C4 with the in-line multiplexer unit to fully interface with any particular car's computers.

As I said, the MB STAR system debuted around 10-11 years ago, in 2001. Because of its expense, it has been very much "out of reach" of most MB

owners and enthusiasts. To pull codes and get information about the car, owners were forced to buy limited testers from companies like Snap-On,

Trisco, and others that perhaps allowed one to pull and reset codes, and a couple of solutions provided some limited "live data" where the car allowed it.

These systems would typically run from $500 to well over $1,000. The other option was to somehow obtain a used HHT (they are occasionally available

via eBay, and are quite expensive) or a used MB STAR system - still a huge expense of multiple thousands of dollars used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page