Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on my first MB: a Cirrus White CLA 250 with the Sports Package, Premium Package, Xenon-LED lighting package, and moonroof.

My 10-year-old Audi A4 has served me well, but at 100K miles it's time to upgrade to a different German sedan/coupe.

Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class

The FWD drive CLA 250 hits on all of the key features I'm looking for at a price that's lower than a comparable Audi or BMW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I received info from the dealer earlier in the evening that a CLA 250 with the Sports Package wouldn't be ready for delivery until the end of May 2014!

I can't wait that long, so I'll need to reconsider whether not having the Sports Package would be a deal breaker for me.

The dealer did say that 4Matic CLA 250's had a much shorter waiting period. That might be a consolation prize if I have to give up the sportier lines of the Sports trim.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The 4Matic's probably got shorter lines because it is coming out after the initial rush of sales and, I bet, half of the CLA buyers aren't even aware it exists. Heck, I bet some of them aren't even aware the CLA is FWD. They just might assume it is RWD because it is Mercedes, and some don't even care. How do I know? Because I know some of those people.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the sports package so I'd recommend going for the car earlier if you can get it without it. I'd go for AWD since you never know when you may need it. Even if you live in Florida, you never know if you may move. And there's still the monsoon rains. You could always just go for the red calipers for a sporty look. I'm doing that for my car. Cirrus white and calipers are the only external options I chose.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
FWD? What is that? Every winter when I'm in the Sierras, I see AT LEAST one Camry with chains on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
433 Posts
FWD? What is that? Every winter when I'm in the Sierras, I see AT LEAST one Camry with chains on the rear wheels.
I saw someone who did that with their Scion tC because they figured since it was a sporty looking car it was RWD. Well, at least it is better than one time I saw someone who bought a Veloster from a friend of his and didn't know it had that third door. He just bought it because it was orange and looked cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live on a plateau in one of the Seattle's Eastside suburbs, and every few years we have have a hellacious snow and ice storm that blocks access to the plateau for several days. The only cars capable of making the trek have been AWD Audis and Hummers. It's pretty hilarious to see countless RWD Mercedes and BMWs abandoned by the side of the road, and I certainly wouldn't want my new CLA to be among them after the next ice storm.

I just didn't think that the AWD version would be available so fast. The premium for the 4Matic is $2K @ $31,900 MSRP.

I REALLY like the bling/bling of the Sports Package, so it might be hard to avoid getting it along with the 4Matic drive train...but now my mid-30's MB will be over $44K by the time I add in 8.9% sales tax. :-(

I'm not complaining. The $29,900 price point got my attention (just as the geniuses at MB planned it), but I never dreamed that I'd be able to get out the door for less than $40K.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I live on a plateau in one of the Seattle's Eastside suburbs, and every few years we have have a hellacious snow and ice storm that blocks access to the plateau for several days. The only cars capable of making the trek have been AWD Audis and Hummers. It's pretty hilarious to see countless RWD Mercedes and BMWs abandoned by the side of the road, and I certainly wouldn't want my new CLA to be among them after the next ice storm.

I just didn't think that the AWD version would be available so fast. The premium for the 4Matic is $2K @ $31,900 MSRP.

I REALLY like the bling/bling of the Sports Package, so it might be hard to avoid getting it along with the 4Matic drive train...but now my mid-30's MB will be over $44K by the time I add in 8.9% sales tax. :-(

I'm not complaining. The $29,900 price point got my attention (just as the geniuses at MB planned it), but I never dreamed that I'd be able to get out the door for less than $40K.
If you can park it indoors, you could always buy it in Oregon and wait for when the WA DMV can't charge you sales tax when you register it . . .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can park it indoors, you could always buy it in Oregon and wait for when the WA DMV can't charge you sales tax when you register it . . .
Ha! Fat chance that'll work! :rolleyes:

Every time I have to get new tabs for my car, I make a point of doing it in person at the DMV. As I'm waiting in line, I start grumbling to the folks around around me about the high cost of tabs.

I'll say: "Didn't we already vote on this with the Tim Eyman citizen initiative a few years ago to have $20 tabs?"

The folks around me will say: "YES! That's right! Why am I paying $110 for tabs?"

When it's my turn at the window, I repeat the question, LOUDLY.

The answer is always: "Well, the tabs ARE $20. But the other 90 dollars are for fees..."

Then I say LOUDLY: "Well, call it what you want, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm paying $110 for my tabs, not $20 as required by law."

At that point, I'm an instant friend with all the other schmucks standing in line to pay more than $20 for their tabs. :D

·
Registered
945 Posts
Chains are hardcore! I guess it's really that bad up their.
With a CLA in 4-matic I think it's best to get a set of good winter tires that allow studs and stick with that if you live far up north.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think chains are more of a West Coast/Rockies thing. When I was in West Virginia and Virginia no one knew of chains. And I was there during that big snowstorm during Winter 2009/2010 and even then the snow doesn't get bad enough that you couldn't get by with just all-seasons (I wouldn't recommend it for 99.9999% of the clueless drivers in that area though). But in the West some states chains are mandatory after a certain amount of snowfall. That's why people out West tend to talk about chains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 4Matic's probably got shorter lines because it is coming out after the initial rush of sales and, I bet, half of the CLA buyers aren't even aware it exists. Heck, I bet some of them aren't even aware the CLA is FWD. They just might assume it is RWD because it is Mercedes, and some don't even care. How do I know? Because I know some of those people.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the sports package so I'd recommend going for the car earlier if you can get it without it. I'd go for AWD since you never know when you may need it. Even if you live in Florida, you never know if you may move. And there's still the monsoon rains. You could always just go for the red calipers for a sporty look. I'm doing that for my car. Cirrus white and calipers are the only external options I chose.
I agree. I liked the Sport Package online but my neighbor got one the other day and I think mine without it looks better. I'm still torn on if I want to add the spoiler to mine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree. I liked the Sport Package online but my neighbor got one the other day and I think mine without it looks better. I'm still torn on if I want to add the spoiler to mine.
Spoiler you can get by itself (at least on the AMG). I thought it ruined the line of the car a bit. It's small but noticeable on the side profile. I think it would also depend on the color of your car and other parts. I'm getting a white car and I think the black spoiler would look out of place unless I got the black wheels. And on a black car you'd barely notice it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts