Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The CLA has been getting mixed reviews and has been feeling the wrath of us forum users recently. The issues center around whether the CLA is going to be damaging to Mercedes-Benz' brand image and reputation.

Critics have called the driving experience lack luster, the backseat not very spacious, and the car being all show and little substance.

I think that people are judging the car pretty hard though (myself included.) We have to remember that the price of this MB is much lower than any other, and as such we have to lower are expectations from what we would normally expect to see from a MB.

I guess my question is are we judging the CLA unfairly because of its badge? If this were a generic car and we had no idea what company made it, would we still be as harsh in our criticism?

·
Registered
945 Posts
people are being to hard on the CLA, for what it it and the price it goes for I think the CLA does a good job. it's the best car in it's segment. Anyone who wants more of a mercedes needs to look at a C-Class. Most of the people buy a CLA won't have the high expectations reviewers and people familiar with MB's do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There are plenty of cheaper vehicles that have received better reviews than the CLA. There must be some that can match the luxury of the CLA, and fix its other problems. I think its skating by on its name.

·
Registered
313 Posts
people are being to hard on the CLA, for what it it and the price it goes for I think the CLA does a good job. it's the best car in it's segment. Anyone who wants more of a mercedes needs to look at a C-Class. Most of the people buy a CLA won't have the high expectations reviewers and people familiar with MB's do.
No were not, as people familiar with Mercedes why wouldnt we hold the CLA to the same standards as we hold the rest of the Mercedes lineup? If the CLA deserves to be babied it should be wearing a different badge.

Anyone remember the story of the Ferrari Dino? Enzo Ferrari refused to let the Dino leave the factory wearing a Ferrari badge because it wasn't up to the same standards as traditional Ferraris. The Dino was a small V8 compared to the massive V10s that Ferrari was exclusively cranking out back in the day.

Enzo knew the Dino was going to hurt his brand and he took steps to minimize that damage. Same goes for Mercedes, if the CLA isnt going to live up to Mercedes standards it will be crucified regardless of its attributes versus its competition because it couldn't live up to its family name.

The CLA already had a bad start, it came from a good family..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think we are being especially hard on the CLA. Mercedes usually makes incredible vehicles, so it is just a little underwhelming to hear that there are problems with the CLA. I don't want to have to compromise quality so that I can get a Mercedes.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
No were not, as people familiar with Mercedes why wouldnt we hold the CLA to the same standards as we hold the rest of the Mercedes lineup? If the CLA deserves to be babied it should be wearing a different badge.

Anyone remember the story of the Ferrari Dino? Enzo Ferrari refused to let the Dino leave the factory wearing a Ferrari badge because it wasn't up to the same standards as traditional Ferraris. The Dino was a small V8 compared to the massive V10s that Ferrari was exclusively cranking out back in the day.

Enzo knew the Dino was going to hurt his brand and he took steps to minimize that damage. Same goes for Mercedes, if the CLA isnt going to live up to Mercedes standards it will be crucified regardless of its attributes versus its competition because it couldn't live up to its family name.

The CLA already had a bad start, it came from a good family..

Booker,
You better re-do your Auto History 101 class. The Dinos were V6s and all street model Ferraris up top that time were V12s.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
For a Mercedes a starting price tag of $30K is very good. But for what a base CLA offers with no options for that price it can't compete with the likes of Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Mazda 6, Toyota Camry, and the like. For the same MSRP you can get a new Honda Accord with leather seats, moon roof, Navigation, and rear view camera that you would have to pay extra for in a CLA. The car got great reviews with a long history of quality and reliability. Buyers of the CLA will have to those who care more about the badge than anything else.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Booker,
You better re-do your Auto History 101 class. The Dinos were V6s and all street model Ferraris up top that time were V12s.
Dino 308s came with a V8, but you're right. I did it from memory in a pinch, should of consulted the google ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont see why the CLA should hurt the MB family since we have already had the shitty A-class for all these years. The CLA looks more luxurious.

Concerning your question, the badge makes a difference. We expect something astonishing from a car bearing the Mercedes badge.
If the car had no badge it would still thrill the world though no doubt about it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dont see why the CLA should hurt the MB family since we have already had the shitty A-class for all these years. The CLA looks more luxurious.

Concerning your question, the badge makes a difference. We expect something astonishing from a car bearing the Mercedes badge.
If the car had no badge it would still thrill the world though no doubt about it!
So you think people would be less critical of the CLA if it wasn't a Mercedes, and it would therefore be seen as a better car. Many people have been saying that the brand is a large reason why people would buy the CLA. So if we took away the badge would it make the car sell better because people would expect less, or would it sell less because there would be less desire for the reputation that Mercedes brings to its cars?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I think if you strip away the MB badge and call it... say a Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or Hyundai and charge $30K for it with the exact same standard equipment as the base CLA with no option, everyone will laugh at it and call it a rip off. Think about it... would you pay $30K for a 4-cylinder front-wheel drive car with no leather seats, no moonroof, no backup camera, no navigation, no premium sound system? For the same money you can get all of that in a 4-cylinder versions of the Accord, Malibu, Fusion, Camry, Mazda 6, and Altima and they are much bigger cars with much more headroom in the back seats. The only thing the CLA has going for it is the styling and the MB badge. Of course I reserve my opinion of the CLA until I actually get to test drive it and check out the interior.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So you think people would be less critical of the CLA if it wasn't a Mercedes, and it would therefore be seen as a better car. Many people have been saying that the brand is a large reason why people would buy the CLA. So if we took away the badge would it make the car sell better because people would expect less, or would it sell less because there would be less desire for the reputation that Mercedes brings to its cars?
If the CLA had a Toyota badge with these looks and the same interior and cost 20k-25k it would still be a massive hit I think. I propose 20k cause it would have a Toyota price tag.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If the CLA had a Toyota badge with these looks and the same interior and cost 20k-25k it would still be a massive hit I think. I propose 20k cause it would have a Toyota price tag.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think $20K would be too low. Look at what you get for $20K these days. I think $23-$25K would be a fair price.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think if you strip away the MB badge and call it... say a Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or Hyundai and charge $30K for it with the exact same standard equipment as the base CLA with no option, everyone will laugh at it and call it a rip off. Think about it... would you pay $30K for a 4-cylinder front-wheel drive car with no leather seats, no moonroof, no backup camera, no navigation, no premium sound system? For the same money you can get all of that in a 4-cylinder versions of the Accord, Malibu, Fusion, Camry, Mazda 6, and Altima and they are much bigger cars with much more headroom in the back seats. The only thing the CLA has going for it is the styling and the MB badge. Of course I reserve my opinion of the CLA until I actually get to test drive it and check out the interior.
Very true, in some cases the badge matters to a lot of people. for a lot of people buying mercedes that's the case, it's at times stupid but it's like this even with clothes and accessories.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think $20K would be too low. Look at what you get for $20K these days. I think $23-$25K would be a fair price.
Yeah around 23k maybe even 25k. For that money these looks even with a Toyota badge the car would get alot of attention.

Come on I was a super bimmer fan and MB hater and this design turned my world upside down which I think tells alot!

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
i definately agree but that badge is worth some money. there is no doubt the badge makes a difference for most buyers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i definately agree but that badge is worth some money. there is no doubt the badge makes a difference for most buyers.
it sure does, tell someone who wanted a Benz to save some money and buy a VW....they'll look at you like you're crazy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So if all the CLA has going for it is the styling and badge that means that the only reason why people would buy it is the image. It doesn't matter how it functions, or how comfortable it is, or how it drives, or how its price compares to others. It only matters about the image.

Obviously this is a part of buying a car but it is a little silly that that seems to literally be the only benefit to the car.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
So if all the CLA has going for it is the styling and badge that means that the only reason why people would buy it is the image. It doesn't matter how it functions, or how comfortable it is, or how it drives, or how its price compares to others. It only matters about the image.

Obviously this is a part of buying a car but it is a little silly that that seems to literally be the only benefit to the car.
There are people like that out there and I laugh at them. I'm not specifically talking about those who will drive a CLAs because I haven't driven it yet. I'm talking about those who bought inferior cars and pay a premium simply to boost their egos. I would be embarrassed to drive a car like that. I'm not saying the CLA is that car. I'm just referring to those who pays for perceived image rather than substance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts