Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Don't regret your first luxury car. The compromised all-new Audi A3. Starting at $29,900."

Audi takes aim at the Mercedes-Benz CLA in its latest ad, which is possibly a preview of what we could see from the luxury brand during the Superbowl.

The ad claims people drive the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes-Benz CLA because of "peer pressure, friends, and unsolicited e-mail."

Will the Audi A3 really be that much better than the 3-Series and CLA? Should we have waited it out to see?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I didn't buy my CLA due to peer pressure. I got it because I was in the market and early to market has its benefits. Audi is trying to make excuses for being late to market and wants people to wait for late comers. I'm not buying what they're claiming.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Meh... Audi cars are still VW with different logos. I don't really think they are innovative enough as the CLA to even compare it. I think they make great cars, but MB won this segment for a long time with the launch of the CLA.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Now i wonder what BMW will do once they're ready to release promo material for their rival, the 2 series gran coupe.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, Audi's got to lure all those VW owners up to the higher end VW . . . err, Audis. But peer pressure? Yes, my friend has a Merc so I must get one too so I can be just like them! Then we can all ride down the highway like a motorcycle gang in our Mercs. :p

Regardless of whether or not the CLA had styling or whatever going for them, it would have sold well anyways since it was the first "cheap" German luxury car. So it's not surprising Audi and BMW will need to hit hard and show up to the dance soon because luxury cars are more of an impulse buy. Those in the market will soon have bought their car or left. The one big consolation for them in they can't build the CLAs fast enough, so if they are lucky there's enough stragglers to grab a foothold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Audi is just freaking out because the CLA is breaking all kinds of sales records at Mercedes while their new A3/S3 won't be out for another 3-6 months. That commercial makes it look like they are in panic mode.

Stay classy Audi.

·
Registered
313 Posts
unfortunately audi didnt have the benefit of partnering with Nissan to co-dev the platform. BUT SHHH don't tell anyone...

as Tony said above there are benefits to being early to market, obviously you get the early adopter to crowd. BUT, and a big BUT, early adopters make up a miniscule portion of buyers, and often times in the auto industry its second to market that takes the cake home. They've not only had a longer lead time but they're able to analyze the competitors launch, listen to conversations and hone their angle of attack from real world data.

We shall see, its going to be a toss up anyways. The real race is to the bottom, lets see who does a $20K car first ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts