Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SPOILER ALERT:

The M135i feels like a neatly spiced up 1-series, the S3 feels like an S-line A3 with more poke. In contrast, the A45 is more AMG than A-class, more special than mainstream, more bespoke than bespoilered. For the time being, this Mercedes rules the microcosm that was once owned by the Japanese winged warriors.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm still waiting on the 2 series, and when that happens I will be looking out for their follow up review. Who knows, maybe BMW will have a CLA and A3 sedan killer with their new 2 series. BMW has fallen off, but already they seem to be making changes to improve the brand.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Well, according to this article our 'prom-queen' CLA45 has the street manners of a 'professional lady'. (Yes, I know this is the A45, not the CLA45.)

All street cars have to be a compromise on the suspension setup. They have to be somewhere on the line of: Racecar > Track car > Taut driver > Softer driver > Lincoln Towncar. I have found the back seat of a towncar a great place to be on the streets of Manhattan, but that is not what any of us expect in an AMG car.

In my personal experience, I have many years of racing, and I had an '04 M3 for one year. The M3 was "sprung" too softly for people who were looking for a SERIOUS track car, but too stiff for me because I wasn't looking for a track car. I continue to hope that this car won't end up too much of a 'wanna be' race car. We just have to wait until November.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well, according to this article our 'prom-queen' CLA45 has the street manners of a 'professional lady'. (Yes, I know this is the A45, not the CLA45.)

All street cars have to be a compromise on the suspension setup. They have to be somewhere on the line of: Racecar > Track car > Taut driver > Softer driver > Lincoln Towncar. I have found the back seat of a towncar a great place to be on the streets of Manhattan, but that is not what any of us expect in an AMG car.

In my personal experience, I have many years of racing, and I had an '04 M3 for one year. The M3 was "sprung" too softly for people who were looking for a SERIOUS track car, but too stiff for me because I wasn't looking for a track car. I continue to hope that this car won't end up too much of a 'wanna be' race car. We just have to wait until November.

Very good point about where the suspension setup should fall in between, I will be happy with a suspension setup that is like that, it's the mainstream approach after all. People who want a softer ride will be happy enough with it and those that want a race car shouldn't be complaining too much until they go aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts