Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know once I get my car I'm liable to want to max it out or try some twisty roads with it. I know in general you don't need to brake in modern cars, but how about a performance car like the CLA45? Do you need to brake it in? And how many miles?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Its still personal preference.

It's just one of those - go with what you believe - sort of deals.

There are so many break in methods its not even funny.

Personally I drive it the way I normally would for the first 500 miles with less of the constant redlining and high RPMs. But I still drive it like a maniac.

Think of it as bedding the pads :D

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have had some race engines built. They normally get about one hour on the dyno, and are then considered broken in. Of course, they are rebuilt every 20-30 hours, and those that were tuned to a higher state than mine might last 2-5 hours.
Since this engine runs up close to 2 bar, it is almost literally a hand grenade. I plan to do mine by the book. Or at least close.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my daily commute totals 72 miles round trip so maybe I'll let it go a couple of weeks before I really thrash it. I was thinking of giving it about 500 miles (seems to be the most common quoted mileage) before I take a weekend and really let it go.

Though a good 10 miles of my commute is a fun twisty road that has a 170 meter elevation change so it'll be hard to behave.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep the active suspension in comfort mode. It allows the shocks to travel more and helps them break in better too.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Keep the active suspension in comfort mode. It allows the shocks to travel more and helps them break in better too.
Comfort mode? I've been wrong once or twice in my life, but I've never read anything about comfort mode/active suspension in the CLA. BMW has it, Caddy A has it, new C Class has it. "Our" cars, I don't think so. Please prove me wrong!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps you are right. I kept thinking that there was an active suspension where the settings can dictate how hard the dampers are set. This was for the AMG.

·
Registered
945 Posts
But some might argue that if in sport mode during break in it might do a better job with breaking them in, just as a hard engine break in apparently does a better job than a soft break in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts