Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz will be the first auto company to come out with Car-to-X technology. This technology allows your vehicle to communicate with other vehicles or infrastructure, like traffic lights, and warning signs at the beginning of road work.

The benefits of this technology seem to be extensive. Car-to-X can see accidents before you, alert you of the end of a traffic jam, or alert you of an approaching emergency vehicle. It can also take this information and use it to plan a better route on your navigation system.

The technology should work better the more cars that use it, so the hope is that other car companies will work together to roll out this technology to as many vehicles as possible.

While I have seen or read many things about the approaching self-driving car, I see this Car-to-X technology as a more plausible reality. This technology would have to be at least a stepping stone to the eventual self-driving car.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Communitcation with other vehicles and objects are key so the vehicle can react but it will be a while till we see this kind of feature working.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
its more fuel to the concept of not having to drive your car anymore. one day we will just hop in our cars and it'll drive us home.

i hope it happens past my lifetime.

I enjoy driving too much.

·
Registered
167 Posts
its more fuel to the concept of not having to drive your car anymore. one day we will just hop in our cars and it'll drive us home.

i hope it happens past my lifetime.

I enjoy driving too much.
That's the thing with this technology. I think everyone agrees that self-driving cars are the future, but most people will be sad to not get to drive themselves anymore. It will take a generation before people find that self-driving cars are the norm, and ask, "why would you ever want to drive yourself somewhere."

The combination of navigation systems, car-to-x communication, and all those driver assistance systems will eventually coalesce into the driverless car. Going from point a to point b will become a totally different experience.

You can actually do things while traveling, like watch tv, or read a book, or text. So there will be benefits as well.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I can see where a driverless car would be useful. I mean.. Who likes driving in traffic?

But the technology is so far from being implemented safely in every car. Problem is that if not all the cars are driverless. Accidents can still happen. There are still people who just don't know how to drive safely. That is something we will never overcome.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can see where a driverless car would be useful. I mean.. Who likes driving in traffic?

But the technology is so far from being implemented safely in every car. Problem is that if not all the cars are driverless. Accidents can still happen. There are still people who just don't know how to drive safely. That is something we will never overcome.
Nissan says it will have a driverless car on sale to the public by 2020. So as with a lot of technology, I think sometimes the public underestimates the rate of technological advancement. I would guess that it is going to be a very expensive vehicle.

And I also can't help but think of iRobot when Will Smith's car tries to kill him. Let's all hope Siri doesn't turn out to be a psycho.

·
Registered
945 Posts
even by then (2020) I think the driverless cars will still be in its early stages. We are however moving at a fast rate.
seeing how crazy this new car tech has developed in the past few years-especially with google and audi-i know by 2020 there will be a strong enough driverless car presence

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
they already have advanced cruise control and lane keep assist that sort of makes the car drive by itself. But you still need to pay attention and have your hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like MB just released CAR-to-X. Should work in the CLA with the Drive-Kit-Plus. :)

What's New in Version 1.6 The new Drive Kit Plus for iPhone® 5, 5c, and 5s is now available!
Please contact your local Mercedes-Benz dealer for ordering and installation.

Mercedes-Benz is introducing Car-to-X Communication to our roads which enables the exchange of real-time information between vehicles.
Early warning is sent to drivers so they can take appropriate action to avoid critical situations.

Car-to-X Communication:
• Early information about road hazards
• Automatic detection of hazards, break-downs, and accidents (requires a Drive Kit Plus firmware version from September 2013 or later)
• Report hazards from View Map or pull and hold the COMAND controller Down to show the Car-to-X menu at the bottom of the screen.
• Share feedback to confirm hazards reported nearby

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/digital-drivestyle-app/id518868239?mt=8

1 - 11 of 11 Posts