Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I took delivery of a new 2014 CLA 250 on Oct 30th, 2013

Today, when I was driving 50 mph, the engine stopped and completely shut down. All the lights in the dashboard illuminated. I had to put on the hazards, pull over on the shoulder and then stop and start the car. The car then started, but this repeated 3 or 4 times during a 1 hr drive.

When I put the car in reverse to pull out of the garage, I have noticed the same behavior. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I understand the CLA has a feature of the engine shutting down at stop lights or when the car is stationary - but not when the car is being driven at high speeds!

I am now contacting MB service to have the car towed back to the dealership because the car is not roadworthy in this condition.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ouch - that's awful to hear @cla-monroe. So far we've had complaints on the forum about engine lights not turning off, but nobody with this exact problem that I've seen. We have a few dealers on the forum that might be able to speak to it more though.

Definitely have it towed and demand a loaner! Plus, please post up and let us know what your service department says, and open a case with MB Customer Service as soon as possible. If you could also post that here, that would be great. We're trying to track as much as we can and the more we can "stand together" the better!

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Joe. I contacted MB Customer Service and will have the car towed back to the dealer tomorrow.

Though I do not mean to slander MB, this is my first German car purchase after 21 years of hassle-free driving in Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras and Infinitis for many a mile :) and I am honestly quite disappointed.

Nevertheless, I will give MB a fair chance to make this right before I pass judgement. I will keep the forum updated on my progress once I hear from the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You certainly had the "big 3" in terms of reliability. I have friends with 200k+ miles Honda's that have never run into a single problem, outside of standard maintenance.

Truth is you're driving a very computerized car compared to the Acura/Honda's. They are mainly "raw driving". I think my father would call them "Boring". Engine, no gadgets, just horsepower and some torque around 4500 rpm. Your CLA is a much finer computerized machine. Most cars first model year that are so reliant on computers are unfortunately prone to software defects.

Please keep us posted we are very curious to hear the outcome. That's two computer issues in two different in cars in two days. Starting to see a pattern.

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my car back from MB service today. There was a faulty fuel pump relay on my car. MB replaced it and I drove the car home today. I was told that this was a manufacturing defect with the pump relay and the engine automatically shut off due to this reason (even when the car was being driven).

Unfortunately I am not well versed with the mechanics of a car to fully comprehend the problem. Maybe some of you on the forum would know better on this topic.

MB has assured me that this is the first time this has happened with the CLA and that they have test drove my car on the freeway and had idled it extensively before they released the car to me.

So far I drove the car home from the MB dealer (about 20 miles in rush hour, stop and go traffic which took almost 1 hour ) and I did not have any problems. The car accelerated well, the engine was smooth and the automatic engine shut-off feature worked well in stop and go traffic.

However, I am still skeptical till I drive around on the freeway at high speeds and for extended periods of time (about 2 to 3 hours). My MB dealer has assured me that if this happens a second time, he will take care of the situation. I will post again tomorrow evening after I complete a full day of commuting.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
All modern cars have a very high pressure fuel pump to atomize gas for increased mileage. It was infamous on the '07-8 BMW. Let's hope that this is an isolated failure for Merc.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
interesting.. let us know if it ever happens again.

maybe it was just a freak accident

btw any photos of your cla? :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
The scary part is if the problem was not isolated and appears on other CLAs too. I haven't heard any other people with this problem though. Good thing that they fixed it fast and that you didn't have an accident because of the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
no im on all the CLA forums and I haven't heard others having an issue. It was probably just a defective relay.

Relays do have failure rates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts