Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mercedes is ramping up its digital media campaign for the CLA, intended to keep buzz burning and spark interactions with the Generation Y target. Mercedes has just announced they will be collaborating with 5 of the top Instagram photographers to add some artistic flair to its digital efforts.

Photographers were chosen based on aesthetic capabilities, followers and fan engagement. Each will be given a CLA to take on a 5 day road trip, sprinkled between July 18 and August 23. Their goal is to capture and post experiences, the photographer who generates the most buzz will win a three-year CLA lease (yippie?)

Berhard Glaser, VP of marketing at Mercedes had this to say: "Instagram has 40 million active users; it pulls you in, and it's easy and simple to use: you take a picture, choose a filter and add a caption. For younger people, it has to be quick, and that's why Instagram is such an immense and growing platform, partly because it's very simple to use, and it's where digital natives hang out."

Mercedes is attempting an organic result, Glaser had this to say about the strategy: "It's all about credibility, not pushing out marketing messages on Instagram or YouTube," he says. "[Neistat], like the consumer we are reaching, is 32 years old -- a filmmaker who sees the car and brand his own way, and that's our approach for CLA. We're not trying to push marketing messages out; we are using social media holistically and telling a story. Casey [Neistat] and the photographers are on their own."

There is a consumer element here as well. Anyone can submit their Instagram handle to www.CLAtakethewheel.com, their feed becomes their entry portfolio. The five road-trippers will choose a winner who gets to take the sixth road trip.

The five photographers are: Paul Octavious (@pauloctavious); Tim Landis (@curious2119); Michael O’Neal (@moneal); Alice Gao (@alice_gao); and Chris Ozer (@chrisozer)

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
very interest approach to marketing.
Kudos to Mercedes for looking into social networking.

The company is evolving :) Time to get instagram.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd be happy to just get the free road trip, winning the car would be a bonus. It's like competing in the Amazing Race. The race itself s the fun part. Winning the million dollars is just a bonus.

This is also a great marketing strategy because it costs very little because the content is user-generated. The company no longer tells consumers what the car is about, consumers tell the company how they see the vehicle. This will be especially useful to Mercedes as the CLA is a brand new product.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dont get me wrong this is a great marketing strategy. But has any one take time to read the "fine print" some of the things that jump out at me.

"The Grand Prize Winner eligibility requires credit check and is subject to credit approval by Mercedes-Benz Financial Services."
"Specifications of the Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 vehicle are as follows: Polar Silver paint, Black MB Tex, Anthracite trim, Sport Package, Panorama Roof, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, Premium 1 Package, Multimedia Package and 18" inch AMG wheels.All vehicle specifications and options (if any) are at the Sponsor's sole discretion. Lease mileage limited to 12,000 miles per year."

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont get me wrong this is a great marketing strategy. But has any one take time to read the "fine print" some of the things that jump out at me.

"The Grand Prize Winner eligibility requires credit check and is subject to credit approval by Mercedes-Benz Financial Services."
"Specifications of the Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 vehicle are as follows: Polar Silver paint, Black MB Tex, Anthracite trim, Sport Package, Panorama Roof, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, Premium 1 Package, Multimedia Package and 18" inch AMG wheels.All vehicle specifications and options (if any) are at the Sponsor's sole discretion. Lease mileage limited to 12,000 miles per year."
Yea i always thought it was a little funny that you win a lease. If you think about who the target demo is for this campaign the majority of entrants probably dont have the means to purchase a CLA, let alone an upmarket Benz. What do they care what they get, to them its a shinny new Mercedes their friends dont have.

Maybe I'm being a cynic...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yea i always thought it was a little funny that you win a lease. If you think about who the target demo is for this campaign the majority of entrants probably dont have the means to purchase a CLA, let alone an upmarket Benz. What do they care what they get, to them its a shinny new Mercedes their friends dont have.

Maybe I'm being a cynic...
Right, you don’t own the car. They take care of the lease payment only. The "winner" is responsible for all maintenance, taxes, and insurance. Oh AND after 36 months when you turn the car in they are responsible for excess mileage and wear and tear…
So you have the expense of maintaining a second vehicle.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, you don’t own the car. They take care of the lease payment only. The "winner" is responsible for all maintenance, taxes, and insurance. Oh AND after 36 months when you turn the car in they are responsible for excess mileage and wear and tear…
So you have the expense of maintaining a second vehicle.
I also think its strange that their using an artistic strategy to promote the CLA, considering Mercedes has never struck me as an artists brand if you will. The hip/chic/arty/urban crowd Mercedes is targeting are growing indifferent to cars, they want to save the world one curly light bulb at a time and ride their vintage bikes for fair trade coffee.

Mercedes target demo is found on golf courses and in jazz bars...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I also think its strange that their using an artistic strategy to promote the CLA, considering Mercedes has never struck me as an artists brand if you will. The hip/chic/arty/urban crowd Mercedes is targeting are growing indifferent to cars, they want to save the world one curly light bulb at a time and ride their vintage bikes for fair trade coffee.

Mercedes target demo is found on golf courses and in jazz bars...
I don't think it's strange at all. Mercedes Benz is one of the brands in the industry that is well known for designing some of the best mainstream vehicles, there designs are so good that some people consider it an art.

There was a 2014 S Class design video that showed this.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
well having someone pay for your lease payments is not a bad deal.

I'd take it!

Plus you have the option of buying the car out afterwards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts