Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw in another thread some members discussing the Verano and ILX as possible alternatives to the CLA so I thought I'd gather some info and throw it up in a thread for anyone else considering the alternatives.

CLA:

Entry level luxury from Mercedes Benz, sleek style and a cheep price, for a Benz. Potent 4 cylinder engine and german reliability instantly make the CLA the top competitor, but for who? Barren of standard equipment the CLA also has the potential to damage your pocket in ways you wouldnt think from a $30k MSRP.

Verano:

Buicks version of the Chevy Cruize is intended to a stepping stone into the world of luxury, a base Verano can be had for about $20k. I chose to look at the Verano Turbo for this comparo considering it sports similar price and performance figures to the CLA.

ILX:

Acuras entry level bugger has the most conservative styling and the least powerful engine, the only one without a turbo. You can get yourself into an ILX for as little as $26,900, but to make up for the ILXs lack of style and performance i chose to look at the ILX equipped with Acuras Technology Package.

MSRP

CLA 250: $29,900
Verano Turbo: $29,065
ILX Tech: $31,600

All three are clustered around the $30k mark with the CLA sitting pretty in the middle. Keep in mind this is the base CLA 250 compared against the top level Verano Turbo and the ILX Tech Pack. This was the only way to have a fair price comparison, that and the CLA only has two trim levels; CLA 250 and CLA 45 AMG...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ENGINE
CLA: 2.0L DOHC I4 Turbo 208 hp/258 lb-ft
Verano: 2.0L DOHC I4 Turbo 250hp/ 260 lb-ft
ILX: 2.4L SOHC I4 201hp/170 lb-ft

The Verano is very impressive wringing 250 ponies out of the small boosted 2.0L. The CLA with its lower horse figure still gives the Verano a good challenge in the torque department. The ILX and its natural 4 also does its best to keep up with the pack but without a turbo option it is left behind.

TRANSMISSION
CLA: 7 Speed Automatic
Verano: 6 Speed Automatic or 6 Speed Manual
ILX: 5 Speed Automatic or 6 Speed Manual

The CLA is the only one without a manual option, although for a large number of buyers this fact is insignificant. For ILX shoppers the M5 is not available on the Technology package, only the Premium pack which will save you about $600.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FUEL ECONOMY

CLA:23-24 City/32-33 Hwy (Expected)
Verano: 20 City/31 Hwy
ILX: 22 City/31 Hwy (M5) 24 City/35 Hwy (A6)

The CLA does not have confirmed MPG figures yet however Car and Driver estimates are posted. The Verano suffers for its dominance in the horsepower department as it returns the worst City and Hwy mileage, although for this segment anything in the 20-25 range is relatively acceptable. Some CLA fanboys are even expecting the CLA to break the 35 mpg mark on the highway. We’ll see.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Come on the CLA has such great looks, the other two are forgotten the second you look away...

Concerning the fuel economy the figures have already been posted in europe.
I found this in a site which posts both european and US units:
FUEL CONSUMPTION MERCEDES BENZ CLA (C117) CLA 250 7AT (211 HP)
CITY: 28 mpg US OR 8.4 L/100Km
HIGHWAY: 48 mpg US OR 4.9 L/100Km
COMBINED: 37.9 mpg US OR 6.2 L/100Km

Moreover we haven't compared the driving experience at all...!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on the CLA has such great looks, the other two are forgotten the second you look away...

Concerning the fuel economy the figures have already been posted in europe.
I found this in a site which posts both european and US units:
FUEL CONSUMPTION MERCEDES BENZ CLA (C117) CLA 250 7AT (211 HP)
CITY: 28 mpg US OR 8.4 L/100Km
HIGHWAY: 48 mpg US OR 4.9 L/100Km
COMBINED: 37.9 mpg US OR 6.2 L/100Km

Moreover we haven't compared the driving experience at all...!
I havent driven a CLA yet, if i compared the driving experience it would be a lie. Anyone who does have test drive experience please chime in..

The CLAs highway MPG seems absurdly high, are you shure about 48 mpg?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I havent driven a CLA yet, if i compared the driving experience it would be a lie. Anyone who does have test drive experience please chime in..

The CLAs highway MPG seems absurdly high, are you shure about 48 mpg?
A number of Mercedes vehicles have been posting incredible mpg numbers recently, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was correct. Th GLA was somewhere in the 60s for mpg, which is absolutely amazing! Considering the CLA is smaller, I would expect it to be posting a really good number as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A number of Mercedes vehicles have been posting incredible mpg numbers recently, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was correct. Th GLA was somewhere in the 60s for mpg, which is absolutely amazing! Considering the CLA is smaller, I would expect it to be posting a really good number as well.
are you sure thats not UK mpgs? 1 US mpg= 1.2 UK mpg...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am not sure about the mpg numbers cause I copied from a site. The lt/100km however are the true MB numbers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Interesting indeed but we have to be careful about taking euro CLA numbers at face value, Europe has a different testing method than the US EPA. I can see Highway mpg coming in at 38, the C-class with a 4 pot is rated at 22 city/31 hwy. Now granted the C-Class is a bigger car and it comes with Mercedes M271 4 cylinder while the CLA gets the M270 which is more efficient than the M271.

There is this article from examiner and the author claims 24 city/ 36 highway, although he doesnt mention where this info comes from....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are these really the closest things to CLA competitors? As far as the exterior designs of the vehicles, the CLA wins hands down. I'm surprised there isn't another vehicle that is competing with the CLA that is better looking.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are these really the closest things to CLA competitors? As far as the exterior designs of the vehicles, the CLA wins hands down. I'm surprised there isn't another vehicle that is competing with the CLA that is better looking.
For now yes, they are the closest competitors that are in it's class so far. Some more direct competitors are the Audi A3 sedan and BMW 2 series gran coupe, both which aren't out yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Verano has lots of power and torque but that thing drives like a van.
What makes you say the Verano drives like a van? Obviously its not going to have the stiffness of the CLA suspension but i also dont expect the Verano to have old man suspension...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its funny these three. If you car about style most you go with the CLA. If care about tech and driving experience you go with the Acura. And if you want something in between you go with Buick.

When you put it that way, it makes me want to learn more about the Buick.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm sure it's easy to get caught up in the exterior styling of the CLA, but do not sleep on the Buick Verano. The Verano is a sleeper beast and has performance numbers that smoke the CLA250 right now. It has pretty much every single feature that the CLA has with the exception of AWD and can be had loaded for a few K less.

The only thing I see the CLA really does have right now going for it is its styling and its badge appeal---the question is, is it enough?

I'd also consider the Cadillac ATS to be a "cousin competitor" in this lineup. It's not quite a direct competitor by any means--it's a bit more expensive than the CLA, however it becomes a strong case once you start comparing size, weight, and the costs of the ATS' lower trim model to the CLA's higher trim model.

Also, might I also throw in the Volkswagen Jetta GLI in the mix? It also offers a lot of similarities in terms of its performance, size, and weight numbers. It's not as focused on luxury as the other three, but it undercuts a few of those vehicles by a few K.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
What makes you think the Acura wins in the driving experience and tech departments?
It only really wins for its steering, transmission, and engine. (the 2.4L) when comparing the manual tranmission models.

The Verano has more power. But the steering and suspension are more numb compared to the Acura. And seeing as how the reviews mention the CLA suspension to be a bit harsh I would go out on a limb and say the Verano has a softer suspension than the CLA.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What makes you say the Verano drives like a van? Obviously its not going to have the stiffness of the CLA suspension but i also dont expect the Verano to have old man suspension...
Oh I don;t doubt it will feel like your floating on a cloud most of the time but that is what their faults are. Sticking with the old man type suspension throws them out from being sporty.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I'm sure it's easy to get caught up in the exterior styling of the CLA, but do not sleep on the Buick Verano. The Verano is a sleeper beast and has performance numbers that smoke the CLA250 right now. It has pretty much every single feature that the CLA has with the exception of AWD and can be had loaded for a few K less.

The only thing I see the CLA really does have right now going for it is its styling and its badge appeal---the question is, is it enough?

I'd also consider the Cadillac ATS to be a "cousin competitor" in this lineup. It's not quite a direct competitor by any means--it's a bit more expensive than the CLA, however it becomes a strong case once you start comparing size, weight, and the costs of the ATS' lower trim model to the CLA's higher trim model.

Also, might I also throw in the Volkswagen Jetta GLI in the mix? It also offers a lot of similarities in terms of its performance, size, and weight numbers. It's not as focused on luxury as the other three, but it undercuts a few of those vehicles by a few K.

If I had to choose I would still pick the last generation of jettas. Not really a big fan of the new look on the outside.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It only really wins for its steering, transmission, and engine. (the 2.4L) when comparing the manual tranmission models.

The Verano has more power. But the steering and suspension are more numb compared to the Acura. And seeing as how the reviews mention the CLA suspension to be a bit harsh I would go out on a limb and say the Verano has a softer suspension than the CLA.
AND the verano comes as a Turboed model, which keeps them one step ahead of Acura and it's ILX. On the plus side to Acura... see a lot more ILX's than Verano's on the road.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts