Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Mercedes-Benz CLA amazing? No. But it also isn't dismal. This review by What Car? makes the case that the CLA is car that looks better than it is.

The CLA gets great marks on handling, but the car doesn't give a particularly smooth ride. There is a lot of wind and road noise that permeates the cabin, which is disappointing for an executive level car. The CLA has a low roof and the compact size of the car makes the backseat an uncomfortable place for taller than average passengers.

Overall the CLA is deemed a good car, but What Car? advises that potential buyers should explore other options that are more practical for a similar price.

The video is to the point and a great walk through of the vehicle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Interesting review. I have heard mostly good things about the CLA so I am surprised by the tone of this review. It does make me think twice about the vehicle though. The lack of leg room and the apparent non-sound insulation are turn-offs. I am wondering if there might be a better choice now...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting review. I have heard mostly good things about the CLA so I am surprised by the tone of this review. It does make me think twice about the vehicle though. The lack of leg room and the apparent non-sound insulation are turn-offs. I am wondering if there might be a better choice now...
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe and Audi A3 Sedan are two sedans that directly rival the CLA, you should look into those if you're still interested in a vehicle in this segment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe and Audi A3 Sedan are two sedans that directly rival the CLA, you should look into those if you're still interested in a vehicle in this segment.
Are the price points similar to the CLA with these vehicles?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not surprised about the ride quality, Ive seen a few reviews that werent exactly glowing about the CLAs road prowess. Complaints are that its skittish and you feel every bump through the sportier suspension, those complaints are ratcheted up for the AMG CLA.

The reviewer makes a good point at the start of the video, something ive been worried about since the CLA was announced. She says that Mercedes is expecting the CLA to get by on its looks and the badge on its bonnet. Its like dating the super hot girl from the rich family only to realize she actually doesnt have any redeeming qualities except for her good looks and family pedigree..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not surprised about the ride quality, Ive seen a few reviews that werent exactly glowing about the CLAs road prowess. Complaints are that its skittish and you feel every bump through the sportier suspension, those complaints are ratcheted up for the AMG CLA.

The reviewer makes a good point at the start of the video, something ive been worried about since the CLA was announced. She says that Mercedes is expecting the CLA to get by on its looks and the badge on its bonnet. Its like dating the super hot girl from the rich family only to realize she actually doesnt have any redeeming qualities except for her good looks and family pedigree..
That is a good simile booker. Mercedes-Benz is really expecting this car to sell. Do you think that these issues are going to make the car sell less than expected? Some people will just buy it for the sake of owning a Mercedes, but I think a lot of others will realize that they can get better value for their dollar with another brand/model.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That is a good simile booker. Mercedes-Benz is really expecting this car to sell. Do you think that these issues are going to make the car sell less than expected? Some people will just buy it for the sake of owning a Mercedes, but I think a lot of others will realize that they can get better value for their dollar with another brand/model.

I think that will depend on who exactly the buyer is. A savvy shopper will understand that there are other options available that provide better bang for buck. Where a myopic shopper will see the Mercedes badge and jump for joy that they can have a Mercedes CLA for $30 grand.

To be honest I think we'll see more myopic shoppers in the CLA. The CLA is clearly targeted at a younger demographic like Gen Y, Mercedes let us know boldly with the Instagram campaign they're running for CLA. I think alot of shoppers in that demographic will jump at the CLA just because as a young professional nothing screams success like a Mercedes, and If you look at some of the cars it could be cross shopped with like Ford Focus', Mazda 3's and almost anything Volkswagen, none of them hold the pedigree of a Mercedes.

So we'll see, I wont make my decision until I can actually get behind the wheel of a CLA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that will depend on who exactly the buyer is. A savvy shopper will understand that there are other options available that provide better bang for buck. Where a myopic shopper will see the Mercedes badge and jump for joy that they can have a Mercedes CLA for $30 grand.

To be honest I think we'll see more myopic shoppers in the CLA. The CLA is clearly targeted at a younger demographic like Gen Y, Mercedes let us know boldly with the Instagram campaign they're running for CLA. I think alot of shoppers in that demographic will jump at the CLA just because as a young professional nothing screams success like a Mercedes, and If you look at some of the cars it could be cross shopped with like Ford Focus', Mazda 3's and almost anything Volkswagen, none of them hold the pedigree of a Mercedes.

So we'll see, I wont make my decision until I can actually get behind the wheel of a CLA.
It just seems like if the CLA isn't up to snuff Mercedes' pedigee will be damaged. You may feel really cool driving a mercedes, but when you pick up your friends and they have no leg room and a bumpy/noisy ride in your car, are they still going to be impressed?

·
Registered
313 Posts
It just seems like if the CLA isn't up to snuff Mercedes' pedigee will be damaged. You may feel really cool driving a mercedes, but when you pick up your friends and they have no leg room and a bumpy/noisy ride in your car, are they still going to be impressed?
good point, depends who your friends are ;) if they're savvy they'll know what the CLA really is, if not then your the cool kid with a Benny.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I'm interested to see what she means by the other cars. What other cars?

I don't think this was a Mediocre review.

She pointed out the flaws. Every car has flaws.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm interested to see what she means by the other cars. What other cars?

I don't think this was a Mediocre review.

She pointed out the flaws. Every car has flaws.
Exactly.
It was actually a positive review if you think that we already know the two "flaws" (stiff suspension and rear headroom).

Those other car options are which ones? 3-series, 2-series grand coupe, 4 series grand coupe, A4, A3 sedan and A5 sport back???

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
That was a good and honest assessment of the CLA but that was also one person's opinion. I will have to test drive one and judge for myself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have test driven it 4 times so far...compared to my outgoing VW GTI it's not as exciting or engaging but its not a bad car to drive either. A similarly specced/priced BMW/AUDI might be a better bargain according to what that woman is implying in her review I think.

I went to see them and they left me cold...CLA has captured my heart at the moment...

Have you all seen Mat Watson's review for CarBuyer?
Mercedes CLA saloon 2013 review - CarBuyer - YouTube

His last sentence sums it all up i think:
"That's the thing with the CLA. It's Compromised. But then people are willing to make compromises to drive such a stylish car."

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
His last sentence sums it all up i think:
"That's the thing with the CLA. It's Compromised. But then people are willing to make compromises to drive such a stylish car."
So he thinks MB is selling style more than substance?

·
Registered
77 Posts
And for what its worth the new 4-series that just came out is also criticized for being quite stiff with less steering feel...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts