Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine if this door panel gap affects all CLAs or only certain cars.

Does your CLA show this gap?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first image below is of a CLA. Notice the bare metal and paint nearby the door jamb. This is the "gap" that is seen when you close the door.

Now this photo is of an E-Class. Notice the difference?

I am disappointed by this small detail in the CLA. We buy a Mercedes-Benz for attention to details like this. :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
You get what you apid for as my grandmother would say. But its no big issue for me sinceI dont pay much attention at the door jams but it would haver been nice if the door panel plastic carried on over just a tad bit to cover it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No wonder some of the CLA reviews have mentioned the CLA has above average road noise. Is this why they can sell the CLA for $30K?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Looks like a good 3cm gap! Don't suppose you got to measure it?

·
Registered
945 Posts
wow thats crazy, i guess they hoped that people wouldn't mind it and just live with it. I can see how someone leasing it wouldn't care much but either way what ever happened to quality control? did that just go out the window?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think I'd refuse to take the car if I saw a gap that big. But what can they do if they come out of the factory like that? "Built as intended?"

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think I'd refuse to take the car if I saw a gap that big. But what can they do if they come out of the factory like that? "Built as intended?"
Same here, at least this thread works as a heads up to people taking delivery that they should take the time to go through the car, making sure it's up to their expectations and nothing less.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
send it back?
i know if i was a customer that ordered a CLA and saw this when going to pick it up, i wouldn't accept it. i would either want a full refund or just wait for one that's up to my expectations

·
Registered
79 Posts
send it back?
i know if i was a customer that ordered a CLA and saw this when going to pick it up, i wouldn't accept it. i would either want a full refund or just wait for one that's up to my expectations
yea but if all CLAs are built with a gap theres technically nothing wrong with it, compared to the others....

If this was an engineering decision and not simply an early build flaw I will be actively reconsidering...

·
Registered
79 Posts
That gap could be the reason for the road noise too. You can clearly see the sheet metal.
thats what I'm thinking too. And if it is the cause of the road noise it makes me think that this isn't limited to a few CLA's but the whole batch. We've been seeing the reviews from europe for about 2-3 months now and all of them have said the CLA leaks road noise, I would think Mercedes would provide the journos the best possible examples of the CLA... But then again, why wouldn't the auto journos pick that out and call attention to it?

BTW where are North American CLA's being built? I know MB has several factories globally producing regionally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CLA gaps

Check also in many CLAs the gap that exists in the boot !!!

Far more disapponting than this one you mention !!!

In Europe, there is also a big amount of complaints for such details, and are also well known to the company, which until now, have not respond in any of them....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Funny that in all the Mercedes Promotional shots of the CLA the door gap is conspicuously not there....

Anybody seen any CLA's without the door gap? What about the AMG, does it suffer from the gap as well?

@pseisog whats this trunk gap you mention, do you have any pics?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Usually gaps like that would be sealed off by a rubber strip to prevent noise and moisture from getting in and out. If they were designed intentionally of course. That gap looks so big its hard to believe it was an accident or mis-fitting panel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Usually gaps like that would be sealed off by a rubber strip to prevent noise and moisture from getting in and out. If they were designed intentionally of course. That gap looks so big its hard to believe it was an accident or mis-fitting panel.
thats why I'm wondering if theres anyone whos seen a CLA without the gap. Something that glaring doesn't seem intentional, at least i wouldn't expect it intentionally from Mercedes, but I also never thought they would sell a car as cheap as the CLA and they proved me wrong there...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trunk gap pics

Funny that in all the Mercedes Promotional shots of the CLA the door gap is conspicuously not there....

Anybody seen any CLA's without the door gap? What about the AMG, does it suffer from the gap as well?

@pseisog whats this trunk gap you mention, do you have any pics?
Check the pics....... Dealer and Mercedes-Benz are fully aware of this, but no response yet on how to resolve such an ugly issue !!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts