Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting mixed reviews about the CLA so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to discuss the pros and cons of the vehicle. I'll get us started.

Pros
- good price point for a Mercedes-Benz.
- it is a Mercedes-benz (prestige.)
- good looking vehicle.
- plenty of options (though this raises the price quite a bit.)

Cons
- tight back seat for taller passengers.
- driving experience is not as great as expected
- interior isn't as nice as other MB, but it is an entry level vehicle.
- a car that is trying to get by on its looks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the list Zeus, new to the forums and trying to get a feel for the CLA. Can you elaborate any on why the driving experience isnt as great as expected?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard/read that the ride is just not smooth for a luxury car. There has also been complaints about the noise insulation on the car. You can hear a lot of wind and road noises, which again is disappointing for a luxury model. On the plus side, the handling has been getting good reviews.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have heard/read that the ride is just not smooth for a luxury car. There has also been complaints about the noise insulation on the car. You can hear a lot of wind and road noises, which again is disappointing for a luxury model. On the plus side, the handling has been getting good reviews.
Interesting. Does anyone know if the CLA suffers from serious torque steer?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am disappointed in the rear seat space. I hate cars that only children can sit in. I would be interested to see the extended Chinese version. It must have more leg room (not sure about head room.)

·
Registered
167 Posts
There have been a few complaints about the ride being a bit rough.
I've heard this as well. I think that people expect more from what is supposed to be a comfortable luxury vehicle. The rough ride would definitely be a turn off for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've heard this as well. I think that people expect more from what is supposed to be a comfortable luxury vehicle. The rough ride would definitely be a turn off for me.
well part of the CLAs rough ride is the sport tuned suspension. Becasue its designed to be stiffer to promote less body roll through corners some of the bump absorption over rough roads is sacrificed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
well part of the CLAs rough ride is the sport tuned suspension. Becasue its designed to be stiffer to promote less body roll through corners some of the bump absorption over rough roads is sacrificed.
adjustable dampening would really help

·
Registered
313 Posts
GM vehicles right now, i know the Corvette has it for sure and maybe the Camao ZL1, definitely the Cadillac V's

Courtesy of Motor Trend Magazine:

...Magneto-rheological shocks, or MR shocks for short, have been one of GM’s most publicized technologies for over a decade. On paper, it allows manufacturers to access a wider range of suspension setup possibilities that non-adjusting shocks may not accommodate. In the real world, MR shock performance has been well-documented: good handling and good ride quality typically coexist. The 2003 C5 Corvette was the first Chevy to offer the tech (standard on the 50th Anniversary Edition). The C7 Stingray continues the trend, with the Z51 Performance Package opening up the additional third-generation Magnetic Ride Control option. Unannounced C7 high-performance models will presumably utilize MagneRide too.

Some readers understand how the MagneRide damping works. The monotube shocks are filled with a special magneto-rheological fluid formulated by Lord Corporation. The gist of the mission brief is the MR fluid, which is dosed with iron particles, can be magnetized at different strengths by way of electromagnetic coils (one coil per shock on previous gens, two on current). The neat trick is the coils can vary the fluid thickness many times per second, so an MR shock is capable of adjusting for road surfaces and driver demands than a run-of-the-mill twin-tube shock. Raising the thickness effectively increases the oil’s viscosity; this in turn affects damping force....

·
Registered
945 Posts
GM vehicles right now, i know the Corvette has it for sure and maybe the Camao ZL1, definitely the Cadillac V's

Courtesy of Motor Trend Magazine:

...Magneto-rheological shocks, or MR shocks for short, have been one of GM’s most publicized technologies for over a decade. On paper, it allows manufacturers to access a wider range of suspension setup possibilities that non-adjusting shocks may not accommodate. In the real world, MR shock performance has been well-documented: good handling and good ride quality typically coexist. The 2003 C5 Corvette was the first Chevy to offer the tech (standard on the 50th Anniversary Edition). The C7 Stingray continues the trend, with the Z51 Performance Package opening up the additional third-generation Magnetic Ride Control option. Unannounced C7 high-performance models will presumably utilize MagneRide too.

Some readers understand how the MagneRide damping works. The monotube shocks are filled with a special magneto-rheological fluid formulated by Lord Corporation. The gist of the mission brief is the MR fluid, which is dosed with iron particles, can be magnetized at different strengths by way of electromagnetic coils (one coil per shock on previous gens, two on current). The neat trick is the coils can vary the fluid thickness many times per second, so an MR shock is capable of adjusting for road surfaces and driver demands than a run-of-the-mill twin-tube shock. Raising the thickness effectively increases the oil’s viscosity; this in turn affects damping force....
I think even the new Range Rover Evoque uses this tech or something similar to it. Would be great for the CLA and other Mercedes vehicles to have it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Being an entry-level vehicle, I would really not want to have to spend any money on after-market upgrades to "fix" issues with the CLA. Right now I think I would consider the CLA AMG, but maybe stay away from the base model CLA.

·
Registered
313 Posts
They are a big difference in price point and both very different cars. (the 45 AMG and the CLA 250)
yea but a CLA AMG is a steal compared to other Mercedes AMG models. You could pick up an AMG CLA for the price of a very well equipped C-class

1 - 19 of 19 Posts