Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW is also planning to release their own affordable luxury vehicle, and it is a predecessor to the cheaper performance BMW 1 Series. No price confirmed yet, but it expected to be priced not too far from 30k. I would actually say it is a direct competitor to the Mercedes CLA. The difference is it is a 2 door RWD coupe.

Between the CLA and 2 Series, it could be a tough battle for consumers. Anyone else hear anything about the 2 Series?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
They are in the similar price range. The 2 doors on the 2 series does set it apart from the CLA though. Like I've said before. People shopping for sedans are unlikely to consider a 2 door.

·
Registered
257 Posts
looks like BMW wants a piece of the pie too. I think with the way everything is going Mercedes' ricing is not bad but options are needed where the price will be driven up. Bmw need to price the 2 series strategically if they want to be a strong competitor in this segment. I wonder how the Aud a3 sedan will play in this group.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How long before a BMW 2-series Grand Sport?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I do not think there is a release date yet.

Just like the CLA 45 AMG it is going to come out after the regular model does.

Should be an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The M235i coupe (315 HP) is already confirmed for the US. Production will begin in November 2013, for an 8 month first-model-year production run (until June 2014). There will be no 235i model in the US or elsewhere, as the M235i will take its place in the lineup.

The M235i will be joined by the 228i coupe in the US. The 228i coupe will also begin production this November. The production 2 Series will be revealed in the Fall, with its public debut potentially coming at the 2013 Frankfurt auto show this September.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If the 2 series is only available in a coupe (2-door) then that's at non-starter for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The BMW coupe is supposed to replace the 1 series 3 door hatchback. Since the 1 series also had a five-door hatch, it isn't so much of a stretch to create a 2 series version of that too.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
^ it looks like a bmw x3. Looks like the hatchback group is more popular in Europe though. Not sure if the 1 series hatchback will make it to the U.S.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It seems hatchbacks aren't very popular in North America since we don't even get the Mercedes A-Series over here, which is a real shame. I would buy that over the CLA.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know what you mean, but i don't know if I can exactly say that the b class is a hatchback. I would consider that to be a compact mini van really. When hatchback comes in to mind i just think of a smaller wagon shape with a hatch back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ it looks like a bmw x3. Looks like the hatchback group is more popular in Europe though. Not sure if the 1 series hatchback will make it to the U.S.
BMW 1 Series? I thought they discontinued that in favour of the 2 series line?

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMW 1 Series? I thought they discontinued that in favour of the 2 series line?
This is partially true. There will no longer be a 2 door 1 series in the US. However, I think it remains to be seen if they get the 4 door hatch which is sold overseas. My guess is probably not since the 2 series Grand Coupe (4 door) will come out probably a year after the 2 series launch.

The 2 series grand coupe will definitely be a competitor with the CLA, but I also think that the regular 2 series will also be a competitor.

Im the biggest BMW fan, but the CLA looks amazing. Especially the AMG version. However, Im sure that the M235i will be a few thousand less starting. I could be wrong though. I have 17 months left on my 3 series lease and I will be test driving the CLA variants. I just don't know that I could go with the 200 horsepower base CLA. The base 2 series will be 240 hp.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
This is the new B Class. That photo above is of the old model that I have.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Not a bad looking car but it is different vs an A class. B is larger.

I'd say the B series is better for families.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is the new B Class. That photo above is of the old model that I have.

The new B-Class looks better. They went with a more streamlined look. The size also looks different. Either they made the new B-Class longer or shorter, or maybe both.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts