Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it would be good to compare the 2 top researched cars over the last month, I have a feeling they are competing for a similar audience....

First things first visual similarities are quite glaring, secondly the two are pretty much dimensionally identical...

CLA:

Exterior

L: 182.3 in
H: 56.6 in
W: 60.9 in

Interior

Front Headroom: 38.2 in
Rear Headroom: 35.4 in
Front Legroom: 40.2 in
Rear Legroom: 27.1 in
Cargo Capacity: 13.1 cu ft

Corolla

Exterior

L: 182.6 in
H: 57.3 in
W: 69.9 in

Interior

Front Headroom: 38.3 in
Rear Headroom: 37.1 in
Front Legroom: 42.3 in
Rear Legroom: 41.4 in
Cargo Capacity: 13.0 cu ft

Corolla is quite wider than CLA which is quite surprising, the extra 9 inches across really makes itself felt in the rear where Corolla offers a ride just as comfortable in the rear as it does in the front with minimal compromises to headroom and leg room which in turn forces the Corolla to give up .1 cu ft of capacity to the CLA...

The biggest difference between the $30K CLA and the $20K Corolla S is the Corollas ugly sounding 1.8L 4 Cyl pushing out 132 horses and 128 lb-ft of twist through a CVT (uck) compared to the CLA's 208 horses.

Mercedes typically uses higher quality materials in their interiors than Toyota, but I know for a fact the Corolla does not have any significant door gaps and at least the Corollas nav screen has a place to call its own...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wasn't even considering the Corolla until a friend brought her new '14 by my place the other day, check out some of the pictures. This is not your fathers Corolla...

I'm really a big fan of the Corollas center stack, fit and finish surprised me, the dash is even wrapped in leather.... and the seats are actually quite comfy and appropriately bolstered

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
i don't think they go after the same audience.

The new corolla is impressive. But its priced differently and marketed differently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i don't think they go after the same audience.

The new corolla is impressive. But its priced differently and marketed differently.
I agree.....you can't compare these two cars. If anything..from Toyota...it could be compared to the Lexus IS250.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The new corolla is amazing, I like where Toyota is taking it. It's going from being a boring commuter car for mom's to something very sporty, along the lines of a Civic, but with a much better design.

Did you get a chance to drive it? Or did your buddy take you for a spin? Being a corolla I would be concerned about it's performance as they were never known for it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I imagine that they drive very differently as well. Maybe if you fully load the Corolla it would be comparable to the base CLA. But on just looks alone the CLA can charge more even if it was exactly the same as far as the engine, power, etc was concerned.

I bet the Corolla has a more comfortable back seat though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A fully loaded Corolla S creeps into the mid 30's I'd say they are priced and aimed at the same crowd. Now maybe the CLA crowd will snub their noses at the Corolla because it doesn't have a star but those people are brand shoppers and irrelevant in my eyes.. The rear seats were very spacious, Almost as much room in the back as in the front, LOL CLA can't do that...

I did get to drive the Corolla and have to say it was plesently surprising. Its got a CVT which i was weary of at first but in sport mode it behaves just like a regular 6 speed slush box. The Corolla even comes with floppy paddles ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am surprise no one has spoke out being rattled yet seeing a comapro like, might just be a matter of time...
they can't speak out without being labeled as ignorant brand shoppers. There is nothing material separating the CLA and Corolla. Any savvy shopper will actively consider both.

Similar dimensions, Similar price points, Similar target markets... I know MB is counting on the CLA stealing sales from the Corolla, Camry, Focus, Fusion, Altima, Accord and Civic so why should it not work the other way as well?

Now in the upper echelons of Mercedes models there is no way a Toyota let alone a Lexus can hold a candle to Mercedes, but with the CLA being positioned and built the way it was it is now left open to non traditional competition...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts