Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to have a bit of fun with the CLA45's MSRP. So I figure most of you 45 guys went in on the CLA because it pulls like a cat on ketamine, is handsomely hewn and is a bit more grown up than other options to be found at the bottom of cereal boxes.

First things first I wondered $47K could net you on the used market performance wise. At the risk of muddying your mind I will preface by saying if you were expecting science this is not it, it was a serendipitous idea that came about while tooling through KBB. So all prices are according to KBB...

e90/e92 M3: $32-37,000

CTS-V Wagon: $40-43,000

09/10 C6 Corvette Z06: $38-48,000

'10 Porsche 911: $44-48,000

'11 Mercedes S550: $46-49,000

Thats just a small sample obviously, but clearly there is an interesting medley of used metal, that is if you dont mind someone elses cup of tea. However for those of you second hand averse, no fear I looked at new vehicles as well.

2015 WRX STI: $34,495

2014 Lancer EVO: $34,995

2014 335xi: $45,400

2014 Mustang GT Premium: $35,310

2014 Corvette C7: $53,000

2014 Chevrolet SS: $43,475

2014 Audi S4: $48,100

So I'm just curious with that kind of choice available how come the CLA45 stands out?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some of those cars are sport, some are luxury. The CLA45 is all that and great design.

Only other car on that list I'd drive is the evo. But it would need to be 10k less.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I actually considered buying an Evo (I'm on the Evo side of the Evo/STI split). But I also wanted a car that I felt comfortable parking in something more upscale than an old strip mall. I also wanted a car that would feel comfortable during a commute. I don't want a plastic car that has the footprint of a semi-truck, so no Vette. I don't want a used car, especially an old German (because I don't want to buy a $2000 part at every service), so that knocks off a lot on this list. I've never liked American muscle cars that can't go around a gentle corner at 5 mph so no Mustang. And Audi's S's aren't on par with AMG and M so that's a no as well. CTS-V is nice, but too big. I like small cars.

So all that and the CLA45 ends up on top. And I'm also partial to AMG, even if I don't like muscle cars all that much. Actually I'd put the Cayman on that list. That's a fun car. But not at all practical.

Actually while I like the power, it's actually pretty puny compared to the other AMGs. All the others have the 5.5 V8, 6.2 V8, or the V12.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Other cars that should be on the list.
BMW M235
Audi S3
Current C63
GLA45
Macan

I'm currently still considering to add or replace with my incoming Cla45 daily drivers later on with.
M4, M3
Evo X before discontinued. (new STI before that)
981 Cayman/boxster

AWD and snow is what I need for the winter months thus CLA was the best choice at the time of ordering for me at the price point I want to spend.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think he was going for sports cars so I don't think the GLA or Macan would count on here. If not, then throw in the Evoque as well, and Grand Cherokee. Because if you want an actual functional SUV at that price, the Evoque and Grand Cherokee blow any other SUV at that price point out of the water.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The M235i is amazing, i know BMW has plans for a 2 series gran coupe which will rival the Mercedes CLA, so once it comes out, things will get interesting, very interesting

·
Registered
221 Posts
I actually considered buying an Evo (I'm on the Evo side of the Evo/STI split). But I also wanted a car that I felt comfortable parking in something more upscale than an old strip mall. I also wanted a car that would feel comfortable during a commute. I don't want a plastic car that has the footprint of a semi-truck, so no Vette. I don't want a used car, especially an old German (because I don't want to buy a $2000 part at every service), so that knocks off a lot on this list. I've never liked American muscle cars that can't go around a gentle corner at 5 mph so no Mustang. And Audi's S's aren't on par with AMG and M so that's a no as well. CTS-V is nice, but too big. I like small cars.

So all that and the CLA45 ends up on top. And I'm also partial to AMG, even if I don't like muscle cars all that much. Actually I'd put the Cayman on that list. That's a fun car. But not at all practical.

Actually while I like the power, it's actually pretty puny compared to the other AMGs. All the others have the 5.5 V8, 6.2 V8, or the V12.
I'm with ya on this one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts