Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend went and compared the cost of the A3 and the CLA, but not just straight up base costs. They speced each with popular features to see what would happen...

A3 Premium model equipped with the 220-hp, 258-lb-ft 2.0-liter turbo-four and six-speed automatic. The 2.0 TFSI Premium model is the lowest trim you can get with Quattro all-wheel drive, and comes standard with leather upholstery, panoramic sunroof, bi-xenon headlights, rain-sensing wipers, integrated trunk spoiler, and LED daytime running lights. Only red and black exterior paint colors are free, while the rest of the metallic colors command an extra $550. Adding the MMI navigation package costs $1900 (also requires the $350 iPod integration), and because we like warm buns, we threw in the $500 Cold Weather package including heated front seats, heated side mirrors, and heated windshield washer nozzles. That brings the total of our A3 Premium to $36,545.
Thats a good chunk of gear included. Now CLA...

A comparably equipped CLA, with a 208-hp 2.0-liter I-4 and seven-speed automatic, came to $39,325. Because all-wheel drive isn't yet available for the CLA250, that price is for a front-drive model. While the Audi A3 comes standard with leather interior, on the CLA it's available through the $1500 interior package that adds perforated leather seats and MB-Tex dash and door trim. A panoramic sunroof was thrown in for $1480, while bi-xenon headlights and taillights cost an extra $850. Standard features include HD radio, Bluetooth, sport front seats, and ambient lighting, but we checked boxes for two of what Mercedes expects will be the most popular option groups -- Premium ($2300) and Multimedia Package ($2370) -- which provided satellite radio, heated front seats (the only way to get the option with leather is through the Premium group), dual-zone climate control, and a 7-inch high-resolution display with the latest version of COMAND and navigation with 3D maps.
Say what you want about subjective metrics like styling or feel, the A3 sedan is offering a better value. Now I don't expect many to agree with me ( this is CLA forum after all ;)) but you can't argue that this low end luxury segment is going to get VERY interesting and FAST...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Audi is always like this, i always find you get more for your money with an Audi. BUT like many i am a MB loyalist and will pay that bit more to stay MB.

·
Registered
433 Posts
In the end, it doesn't matter how wed one is to the brand or how many checks on the ledger one car has over the other. If you sit in it and feel comfortable driving it and don't in the other one, well, there's your answer. That said, I've always felt that even though German brands get a markup because they are German, the Mercedes brand has always had more of a premium than Audi or BMW. There's a reason why a lot of professional organizations give their members the Mercedes executive allowance instead of Audi or BMW. Audi is almost a beginner's luxury car to some, a step to take before getting into BMW and Mercedes. Kind of like the CLA's role in the Mercedes line. I'm not saying Audis are bad, but that's my overall perception of how other people I know view Audi.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not even The New C class is more beautiful than CLA i have the money to buy an Audi A4 and a BMW by the way very very good but they all look old they need to be redesigned I was waiting for the BMW 4 series very disappointing not what I expect same thing I used to have BMW but I need to change to a new taste !!! Mine AMG package almost 900 miles and no regrets !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
To me, your car has to do something for you in two ways... 1) walking up to it, 2) driving it.
The Audi is 'nice' but doesn't really excite me walking up to it. The BMW is very appealing, but I'm not a big fan of the way they drive. (The last one I drove was 2 years ago so may not be a viable complaint anymore)
To each his/her own.

·
Registered
945 Posts
To me, your car has to do something for you in two ways... 1) walking up to it, 2) driving it.
The Audi is 'nice' but doesn't really excite me walking up to it. The BMW is very appealing, but I'm not a big fan of the way they drive. (The last one I drove was 2 years ago so may not be a viable complaint anymore)
To each his/her own.
what about driving BMW's do you not like? just curious.
I owned a few BMW's in my time and like them, i just like MB's more :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts