Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz just came out with a fully digital dashboard in its 2014 S500. That means that instead of having a physical gauge to show you your speed or count you revs, all that info is showed to yu on a digital screen that is pretty big and makes up the entire dashboard.

The change has been getting mixed reviews with some saying that it looks , really boring, even "void-like." Others are happy to see a screen like their smartphone's making its way into the car.

What are your thoughts on the all digital dashboard? Is it the way of the future, or is it just plain boring?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My parents just bought an S550 with it. It's actually pretty cool in that class of car. In a sportier car though, I prefer real gauges.

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I like it. It's nothing like the old digital dash from the '80s. With Hi Def displays you can tailor the screen to show the info you're interested in.

·
Registered
945 Posts
from these pictures it looks okay, i expected mercedes to pull this idea off in much more creative way, but it still looks good.
I wonder if this will even make it's way to the CLA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This has to be where the future of dashboards and displays are heading. It will trickle down in time, but we still have some more years before it makes its way down to the lower models. Once the technology is developed more it will be really cool to be able to customize what our dash looks likes and what information it displays. It really changes the look of the interior of the vehicle quite a bit.

It is also basically what Tesla is already doing in the Model S.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I like the way these digital screens are coming in to the clusters, hopefully soon it will trickle down to the other classes.

It'll be best if you can customize where you want certain gauges and just move them around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is also talk of smartphone makers taking a bigger role in making infotainment and navigation systems in vehicles. If all cars will eventually have a big touch screen as the main dashboard/infotainment panel then smartphone companies will have even more of a reason to try to take over this aspect of the car.

Imagine you have an iPad or Android operating system in your car. It would sync all your info from your phone/computer/tablet etc... It will be a great day when all our devices work together seamlessly instead of having to set up and learn every system as a separate entity.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i like gauges, theyre reliable, light weight and dont require software for operation. besides the CLA has some of the nicest gauges available right now.

CLA 45 Gauges

CLA 250 Gauges

they're modern with a touch of old school

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Cool if I'm leasing. Not cool if I want to own it or for the next guy who buys the car used.

Imagine if the dash broke? Or stopped working? The repair would cost more than the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cool if I'm leasing. Not cool if I want to own it or for the next guy who buys the car used.

Imagine if the dash broke? Or stopped working? The repair would cost more than the car.
Why would the dash stop working? As long as you are not hitting it with rocks or spilling drinks on it I am sure it will hold up pretty well. Repair costs may be higher, but this is the way things are going in the car industry, so we all better get used to the idea. I'd like to see the system work in person during a test drive, or at least just in the showroom.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i like gauges, theyre reliable, light weight and dont require software for operation. besides the CLA has some of the nicest gauges available right now.

CLA 45 Gauges

CLA 250 Gauges

they're modern with a touch of old school
analog gauges are great but at least with a screen over time as the vehicle ages we dont have to worry about a needle that doesn't work anymore or dash lights that go out. Just less things that can go wrong, plus Mercedes can play it cool and give software and design updates like what Apple does so we can get even more out of it down the road.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Software updates for the screen s would be a great way to increase the longevity of the vehicle. There would probably be programs that could be loaded into the car after you by it to keep it up to date with the most recent technologies for longer. There is also way more possibilities with the screen. Each gauge can only show one thing, but the screen can show as many things as it wants by simply switching what is displayed on the screen. Far more versatile!

·
Registered
79 Posts
software updates are just another thing to go wrong. The Needles are simple technology, its very rare for needles to not work anymore, software problems are common as rocks.

Just look at the issues Ford has with SYNC, Infinitis release of Q50 was delayed by the infotainment software, and the Jeep Cherokee was delayed because its software wasnt playing nice with the 9 speed gear box...

Mercedes are already expensive enough to fix, now we want to call in computer programmers to fix my CLAs broken gas readout.....

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Why would the dash stop working? As long as you are not hitting it with rocks or spilling drinks on it I am sure it will hold up pretty well. Repair costs may be higher, but this is the way things are going in the car industry, so we all better get used to the idea. I'd like to see the system work in person during a test drive, or at least just in the showroom.
because LCD screen just fail. screens in general don't last a lifetime. It's not like you can fix it. You would have to replace the entire unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts