Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the pleasure of riding to a work site today with a buddy who has a cla250. It had snowed here a bit and the ground was still wet with about a half inch of snow. He doesn't have winter tires, just the stock ones which unfortunately I forgot to take a good look at.

In any event the car handed really well and I wanted some thoughts from everyone else on this... If you're in a part of the nation that has cold weather and snow, how is your cla handling on the road, and did you get winter tires this year?

Joe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Had the pleasure of riding to a work site today with a buddy who has a cla250. It had snowed here a bit and the ground was still wet with about a half inch of snow. He doesn't have winter tires, just the stock ones which unfortunately I forgot to take a good look at.

In any event the car handed really well and I wanted some thoughts from everyone else on this... If you're in a part of the nation that has cold weather and snow, how is your cla handling on the road, and did you get winter tires this year?

Joe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Did the CLA you rode in have the standard 17" wheels or optional 18" wheels? I'm asking because the 17" wheels come with all season tires where the 18" wheels come with summer tires. I'm in the snow belt and I have the Sport Package on my CLA so it has summer tires and I don't drive on snow with them. I have another vehicle I use for snow and icy conditions so I don't know how my CLA handles in those conditions. I'm seriously considering getting a set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the CLA you rode in have the standard 17" wheels or optional 18" wheels? I'm asking because the 17" wheels come with all season tires where the 18" wheels come with summer tires. I'm in the snow belt and I have the Sport Package on my CLA so it has summer tires and I don't drive on snow with them. I have another vehicle I use for snow and icy conditions so I don't know how my CLA handles in those conditions. I'm seriously considering getting a set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels.
Drove the car in the snow today...no bueno..i have those 18inch summer tires and yea they should not be driving in the snow..It wasnt bad on the main roads but as soon as you have an inch or two you can lose control..its doable but def not stable like my audi was. still looks bad *** though :cool:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Drove the car in the snow today...no bueno..i have those 18inch summer tires and yea they should not be driving in the snow..It wasnt bad on the main roads but as soon as you have an inch or two you can lose control..its doable but def not stable like my audi was. still looks bad *** though :cool:
Traction, or lack of, isn't the only reason why you shouldn't drive with summer tires in the winter months. The temperature is an issue also. The rubber compound in summer tires gets very hard and brittle below 47F and can split or crack very easily. Be careful with bumps and pot holes if you must drive on them over the winter.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
no reason it wouldn't handle the snow fine

its front wheel drive

with winter tires

it'll do great
I agree. With 4 winter tires it should be fine. With summer tires.... not so fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can't you just stick to all-season tires? Changing between winter and summer tires is a pain. I'd rather have one set of tires that works for the entire year. Cheaper too :)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Can't you just stick to all-season tires? Changing between winter and summer tires is a pain. I'd rather have one set of tires that works for the entire year. Cheaper too :)
Yes you can if you feel switching after each season is a pain. Many people do that and is certainly a logical way to go. But the problem with that is if your car came with summer tires then you will have to discard or sell them if you want to replace them with all season tires right now. Some might consider that a pain. The down side to switching to all seasons now (assuming you have summer tires now and are in the snow belt) is you really don't have the best tires for the seasons. Not the best in snow and ice and not the best for sprited summer driving but you'll get by. I equate that to having cross trainers and hybrid bikes. They do everything OK but nothing well. The up side is less cost and no need to store an extra set of tires/wheels. If my CLA came with all seasons then I would stick with it but since it didn't I chose to get a set of winter tires mounted to another set of wheels as I don't have storage issues and I don't mind spending extra for the better performing tires for the seasons. Not sayine either way is right or wrong. Just up to the individual.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Some people don't like to switch to winter tires

Does it still work? Of course

Just not as well as winter tires

Is your safety worth the set of winter tires?

Also depends on what sort of winter you deal with

If its cold and wet and snows mostly. Winter tires are a safe bet.

·
Registered
945 Posts
another way to justify it, if you plan on sticking with a similar type of car for a while,even if you sell the CLA, you can always save the winter wheel and tire set you buy now for your car now and possibly use it on a future car of yours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tire Rack, who are admittedly trying to sell tires, told me my "Four-Season" tires are really only good for three...Winter is a whole other animal, and to be maximum-safe, you need snow tires...and, while you're at it, dedicated wheels for them as well!

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Tire Rack, who are admittedly trying to sell tires, told me my "Four-Season" tires are really only good for three...Winter is a whole other animal, and to be maximum-safe, you need snow tires...and, while you're at it, dedicated wheels for them as well!
They didn't have to sell me on that concept. I've already decided on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes you can if you feel switching after each season is a pain. Many people do that and is certainly a logical way to go. But the problem with that is if your car came with summer tires then you will have to discard or sell them if you want to replace them with all season tires right now. Some might consider that a pain. The down side to switching to all seasons now (assuming you have summer tires now and are in the snow belt) is you really don't have the best tires for the seasons. Not the best in snow and ice and not the best for sprited summer driving but you'll get by. I equate that to having cross trainers and hybrid bikes. They do everything OK but nothing well. The up side is less cost and no need to store an extra set of tires/wheels. If my CLA came with all seasons then I would stick with it but since it didn't I chose to get a set of winter tires mounted to another set of wheels as I don't have storage issues and I don't mind spending extra for the better performing tires for the seasons. Not sayine either way is right or wrong. Just up to the individual.
Tony, I ditching my summer tires and going with all-season tires.. I'll hold on to my summer tires, when your ready and ate thru your first set, 12,000 later, come look me up and i'll sell them to you at a good price. I'm local to you..
Danny~

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Tony, I ditching my summer tires and going with all-season tires.. I'll hold on to my summer tires, when your ready and ate thru your first set, 12,000 later, come look me up and i'll sell them to you at a good price. I'm local to you..
Danny~
Dionisio, I just might do that. If I like the tires enough and decide to stick with them then I'll let you know. Just keep them well stored :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
No problem, I finally have my car coming in next week, what sucks is that I'm going down to FLA so I won't get it until I come back after Xmas, But as far as the tires, I am driving from the dealer straight to pep-boys (6 miles away) and getting them swapped out. I already purchased my all season tires and they are @ the shop waiting on a car to install them on. so basically they will be brand new minus 6 miles. They will be stored indoors so no worries about tires drying out. Unless I get a buyer before that which I doubt considering they are summer tires, , their yours.. !

Reactions: Tonyride

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
No problem, I finally have my car coming in next week, what sucks is that I'm going down to FLA so I won't get it until I come back after Xmas, But as far as the tires, I am driving from the dealer straight to pep-boys (6 miles away) and getting them swapped out. I already purchased my all season tires and they are @ the shop waiting on a car to install them on. so basically they will be brand new minus 6 miles. They will be stored indoors so no worries about tires drying out. Unless I get a buyer before that which I doubt considering they are summer tires, , their yours.. !
Sweet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We picked our CLA last Friday and had a really good snow Saturday. Both my wife and daughter had trouble in the snow. I didn't have a problem but I'm more used to snow driving after several years of Scandinavian winters. We have the 17 inch wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
We picked our CLA last Friday and had a really good snow Saturday. Both my wife and daughter had trouble in the snow. I didn't have a problem but I'm more used to snow driving after several years of Scandinavian winters. We have the 17 inch wheels and tires.
So you have all season tires on your car. Nice and congratulations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts