Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine seized. MBUSA won't honor warranty. $20,000 plus tax for new one. What to do?

On April 11, 2014, I was driving my five month old CLA 250 on the Long Island Expressway when I noticed other cars slowing down to drive over car debris so I did the same not knowing that I had punctured the oil pan. The oil pan is poorly located and very thin. After exiting the next exit, I notice the engine revving so I decided to head to the nearest dealer. On the way, the check engine light lite up and with in blocks, the engine seized.

The Helms Bros. dealer claims that I drove the cars for miles with the check engine light but they can check the data box to know that is not true. MBUSA is in the position that one block was one to many. NYS DMV says they can not help and NYS Attorney General says to fill out a form and they will write a letter to them. For the check engine light to not warn me sooner is a car defect that should be covered under warranty. Where is the goodwill? I have been driving a MB for over 20 years.

This can happen to any one of you. I was lucky I got off the highway because if the engine seized on the highway, there would of been a major crash. This is a dangerous car and everybody should know.​

·
Registered
10 Posts
When ever I drive over anything that hits the bottom of the engine I stop the car and check it out. I once had an 86 300SDL and one evening I hit a bump going into a parking lot, and did not think much of it. At 4AM the following morning, in an attempt to drive 110 miles to Indy for the first USGP there, I noticed a huge, 8 qt puddle of Mobil 1. Well, we made it to the track as the other adult could drive his car. No oil leaked out until it cooled down, as the oil pan was hot enough to keep the oil in as long as it was running. When the engine and pan cooled down, the crack expanded and oil leaked out all over the garage floor. However, the 300SDL had a crack in the aluminum oil pan. Insurance paid for it as it was road damage and I ordered a steel skid plate meant for a 420SDL (factory item which was hard to find, but located one at a dealer in SoCal), had it adapted to fit and I never had an issue again.
All oil pans are aluminum these days and I do not know what the exact circumstances were in your case, but I hardly feel that M-B is responsible. The engine light would come on as soon as the oil depleted to the point where it was below the safe level. If you continued to drive without shutting it off, even for a minute, damage could occur.
I don't know if your insurance would cover it as road damage, but it did for me. Replacing the engine will be expensive, but I doubt it would cost $20k, as that is 2/3 of what the bloody car costs. Lawyers (via negotiated settlements) and the insurance cos. will handle it... that is what they do best.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I recently had driven over a construction site where there were deep indents on the road and my oil began leaking and my ignition won’t turn on. I towed it to my local mechanics shop and he said I’ll be needing a new engine just by opening up the hood. You think I should get it fixed by the mechanic or take it to a Mercedes dealership maybe they can tweak the engine since they would know better? I’m really upset and frustrated I bought the car 7 months ago and an engine alone is 3-4,000 dollars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts