Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
38 Hwy and yes - premium fuel.
By the way, ECO mode isn't bad. The little lady kinda likes it, but it has only been two days of driving. Oh yea, something else. There is no hand-brake. There is an electric brake that engages when placed in park.

·
Registered
137 Posts
By the way, ECO mode isn't bad. The little lady kinda likes it, but it has only been two days of driving. Oh yea, something else. There is no hand-brake. There is an electric brake that engages when placed in park.
Weird, that must take getting used to. Smart though, I know I've almost rolled back on hills on older cars when I forgot to pull the parking brake.

She doesn't feel any real drop in power in eco?

~Lisa

·
Registered
945 Posts
No manual hand-brake sucks, how are we supposed to drift FWD CLA's in the winter? :D
I was actually looking forward to getting sideways with my future CLA in winter, looks like that wont happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No power loss in ECO mode. You do have the start/stop feature when stopped. Starts up as soon as you take your foot off the brake. She hasn't tried the "sport mode".

·
Registered
507 Posts
No power loss in ECO mode. You do have the start/stop feature when stopped. Starts up as soon as you take your foot off the brake. She hasn't tried the "sport mode".
I read on Topgear a while back their view on these modes (eco, sport, manual) - their words, not mine:

"The three modes - eco, sport and manual - have all got faults. Eco is too sluggish from a standstill, sport holds onto each gear for too long, and manual doesn't react as quickly as we'd like when you pull the paddles. It means you can never leave it in a single mode and be happy with it - you have to constantly switch between them depending on what sort of driving you're doing."

Full credit to TopGear here: First Drive: new Mercedes CLA - BBC Top Gear

I personally don't mind shifting between modes a lot. I've driven a lot of cars with tiptronic/steptronic and shifting around between different modes actually sounds kind of fun to me.

·
Registered
945 Posts
How does the start/stop feature feel when working, some start/stop systems have been frowned upon by a lot of people.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It doesn't bother me at all, nor my wife. Combination driving, mostly city, this week yielded 27 mpg. She also has a lead foot at times.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I thought you have to press in on the brake release to engage the parking brake. Pull on it to disengage. It is by the driver's left knee. I used it when I test drove one yesterday.

·
Registered
91 Posts
when i took my test drive yesterday i did not mind the start stop feature. it is unnoticible when turning off but does give quite a kick starting up. i dont mind. im used to it (although MUCH more subtle) with all the prii (prius plural) i have had in the past. it is a little ghostly in a non hybrid vehicle. i like it ok. not a big deal for me(personal opinion):cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Weird, that must take getting used to. Smart though, I know I've almost rolled back on hills on older cars when I forgot to pull the parking brake.

She doesn't feel any real drop in power in eco?

~Lisa
Been driving the CLA250 for 2 days now and I have been using the Eco Mode for the most part. The Eco Mode turns off if you blast from the start and you can turn it on and off with either a push of a button or pressing on brake (which also puts the car on "park mode" while at a stop).

Sports Mode is awesome, but be mindful that it does waste some gas. You can go from any point and it picks up quickly. Tried 0-60 and 50-100 - same result but you feel more from 0-60. Also the wheels will spin a bit before catching.

Thus far, I love it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wife and I are taking a long trip on the 25th - 27th. Will get a good idea of the mileage as it will mostly be interstate and relatively flat. Should be interesting.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Wife and I are taking a long trip on the 25th - 27th. Will get a good idea of the mileage as it will mostly be interstate and relatively flat. Should be interesting.
Cool. Can't wait to see the results.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts