Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESP Malfunction out of the blue four times with wife driving. Damn car goes into the limp home mode. Went into the computer menu to ESP control. Stated it was not on and would not turn on.

Stop the engine and wait a few minutes and it clears.
3000 miles and this $h1t has already started. :mad:

·
Registered
433 Posts
If ESP is off the car shouldn't limp. If anything the car should be faster and more powerful with it off, albeit more prone to sliding and wheelspin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please research using Google.
An ESP Malfunction does indeed often result in the limp home mode.
(I never said that I turned ESP off):confused:

Faster? More powerful? Highly doubt it. More prone to sliding - absolutely.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Wow. I hope they find the source of the problem and have a permanent fix for it. I only have about 1600 miles on mine and so far so good and I hope it stays this way.

·
Registered
433 Posts
(I never said that I turned ESP off):confused:
Stated it was not on and would not turn on.
I was basing it off of this. I did not make the connection that you were referring to the malfunction of it saying it was off when it was on. That was my mistake. A malfunction could very well cause it to limp home since the car will probably fall back on limiting power to all wheels to avoid damage to itself. However, when ESP is off you do get more power to the main drive wheels. Stability control senses when wheels lose grip and cuts power to there and shunts power away from there or reduces power in general to the driven wheels if things are really out of control. It does this to keep you from spinning and to protect components from overload or overworking the components (for example, it is a great way to destroy your car to let the drive wheels spin while off the ground without resistance). Without stability control cars are more prone to spin out and burn rubber because power will still be sent to the driven wheels as they lose grip, and from there the wheels will spin faster than the car's components are rated for and will damage the car. That's why some sports cars will warn you that if you fully disengage stability control you void the warranty, and why many cars you actually cannot fully disengage it regardless of what the button says. You get more power and more control over the power when you do not have stability control. That's why you see a lot of sports car reviewers disengaging it for their reviews and for videos.

Anyways, hope it gets fixed. These things have to happen to someone. No one can expect every product that makes it out of the factory to be perfect, but it does suck when you're the one it happens to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stand corrected. When you look at it like that, you are correct.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Heck, just glad it didn't devolve like it usually does in forums. Usually I'd be calling you names and saying you're the dumbest thing to exist in all of history and you'd leet speak me back talking about my lack of value to humanity. All the while we'd misspell things so bad no one would have a clue what we're saying. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a fairly young forum compared to the SLKWorld one that I have been on for years. The discussions here will eventually have a more technical tone as owners learn discoveries about their cars.
Picking each other apart over insignficant issues will not be the route to a successful and useful forum.

Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, the ESP Malfunction issue.
The stealership told me that there have been "several" instances of this happening. They do not have a clue as to the source so their instructions to the technicians are to update the computer software (1-1/2 hours) then, using a checklist, inspect for bent connector pins, grounds, etc. (3 hours).
Will update IF they find anything or if it happens again after the "fixes".

I'm glad I didn't have to work today. Wifey has my SLK so I'm concerned about her (the car's) welfare.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well good luck with that. Hopefully just the software not anticipating a specific set of readings from the sensors and locking up from that. It'll be interesting to see if this is a more universal issue, and if it crosses the CLA models.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the phone w/ the dealer. Completed the inspection checklist and updated the software. Now we wait to see if it happens again.
If it does, MB has instructed the dealer to issue a "technical". They will then be issued a series of tests and inspections ('bout 3 days) to track down the problematic part/code.

Driver on his way to pick me up. Updates as appropriate. Trying to be positive.
** Be aware of the software update and ensure they install it when she goes in **

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Now I'm afraid to drive the car up to Canada during the holidays. I think we'll take the wife's SUV until this gets all sorted out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Now I'm afraid to drive the car up to Canada during the holidays. I think we'll take the wife's SUV until this gets all sorted out.
Thats the best thing to do, or even get a rental, canadian weather is unpredictable, plus if you get into an accident, it's not your vehicle you have to worry about

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, happened to read this thread and wondered if the same issue has occurred again since your car had a software update?

Ive had the same issue twice over the last 10months since it was purchased and I'm fed up going to the garage every 4months updating software as if it was an iPhone.

have other CLA owners experienced this ? I am sooooo fed up as it seems to always break down when I'm out of town.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay guys, this really sucks. My wife and I are currently on vacation in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. This morning, when climbing a steep hill, the Pre-Safe unavailable light came on along with both ESP lights. Went into limp mode and we couldn't climb the hill. This is a dangerous situation, to say the least. Stopped the damn car, turned it off, restarted it and found the issues had cleared. It happened again a few minutes ago when we didn't have the option to stop (steep drop off on the sides of the road). I floored it and it crept up the hill at about 15 mph with my foot through the floorboard. Finally turned off and did the restart again.
Looking at other forums I have found this to be a known problem. Possibly a programming error or, most frequently, the accelerator sensor.
When I get home, if I get home, the POS is going to the shop.
Will update when fixed.

If bored, see: http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/14...age-pre-safe-functions-currently-limited.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts