Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to install Weathertech mats (hopefully, the will be available by then), wax and Opticoat my CLA, and add some tints.

On the way to the shop, I will pop in my 50 Cent CD, and play In Da Club. :D

What is the first thing you guys plan to do after buying your CLA?

·
Registered
186 Posts
After buying my CLA... I will be getting dark tints done, probably 10 percent tints in the rear and 20 percent in the front to keep the heat out on those hot summer days and to have some privacy. Then weathertech floor mats. What is opti-coat? What exactly does it do?

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I'm going to try to not drive it too hard hehe...

Tints seems like a good start.
First thing ill do for a brand new car is to bring it to my detailer the best in Toronto! ;)

Get the slight swirls removed, polished and opti coated. After that I'll have a piece of mind knowing that my CLA's exterior paint is protected. then I'll go for a nice drive. tints will happen later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like a good idea I noticed that no brand new car's paint is perfect even coming from the dealership. I will have to find a detailer in my part of town I guess. the thing with the tints is four a four door I find it best to have the same tone all around. Suck that their is a law to have lighter tints on the front two windows.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Weathertech is a must as I'm in the snow belt. Tint the rear windows but not the front. I don't need privacy when I'm driving. Besides, I prefer to be able to see out at night time. What is Opticoat? Sounds like something worth having.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm thinking of rust proofing, but I've heard from some people it's not a good idea, while some maintain it's absolutely mandatory, especially in areas with a lot of snow.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm thinking of rust proofing, but I've heard from some people it's not a good idea, while some maintain it's absolutely mandatory, especially in areas with a lot of snow.
Downside to rust proofing is that it's messy and for a good few weeks of driving a car with fresh rust proofing in the engine bay mixed with the engine heat, you'll start to smell what smells like burning engine oil.

Those are really the only two downsides im aware of.

It is a must for those that live in area's that get snow, that's if you really care about your car. If you live in Cali, Florida or anywhere warm, it's not needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the downside of having rust proofing done is how the solution itself is sticky and sometimes overspray works it way up to the painted panels and it attract a lot of build up and grimes that could be a pain to clean and deal with. In the past I found it annoying since trying to clean the solution only made it spread and get worse.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I could understand that issue because it doesn't dry out but the benefits are better than the negatives though. I would do it in a heart beat especially in areas that use salt to deal with snow and ice in the winter. The bolts underneath tend to seize up if you don't rust proof it.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Guys, If your worried about that just get the rustproofing done at Mercedes instead of bringing it to a mickey mouse place where they just spray so much excess. this is one of the things I have noticed with outsourced rustproofing. They even spay the sills, take a look at the bottom of your pant legs and you'll see.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Guys, If your worried about that just get the rustproofing done at Mercedes instead of bringing it to a mickey mouse place where they just spray so much excess. this is one of the things I have noticed with outsourced rustproofing. They even spay the sills, take a look at the bottom of your pant legs and you'll see.
How much does Mercedes charge? I feel they would charge far more than a "mickey mouse place".

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's nothing new that the dealership would charge you more but I have more trust in Mercedes than some other places that wouldn't last long. That is the price you have to pay when you own a Mercedes. You can't just bring it to get it serviced from some odd ball mechanic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rust proofing can range from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand. My gut feeling tells me Mercedes would be on the higher end of the spectrum. I'd rather find a reputable place that will charge far cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I enquired at my Benz dealership, they said their cars do not need rustproofing and that they would not offer one. He said that drilling the vehicle for the rust proof infact would damage the vehicles structure .

Is this true ? Perhaps the newer MB's do not need rust proofing ? I live in Toronto, hence want to make sure that I get it dont if its required.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in Connecticut. Have never purchased rust proofing and have never had a problem in 30 years. I've kept many of my cars for 8 years. I would not go for rust proofing. That was something that might have made sense on cars from the 60's and 70's but not any more.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'm getting windows tinted tomorrow, 50%/35% Front/Rear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts