Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about these frameless doors. It seems to be quite the selling point according to the sales brochure, but in my opinion it just seems like filler.

Wouldn't a door with a frame be stronger and also more weather resistant? Do all models have this frameless door feature?

Just wondering...

·
Registered
945 Posts
when the doors are open and windows are down, frameless doors look better, so when it comes to MB buyers that are look for more than just a car to commute, things like this probably does matter more to them just because of how it looks for one. I bet there are more reasons.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Most 2-door coupes have frameless doors. With the CLA being a 4-door coupe I guess it makes sense to have frameless doors also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do not have any experience with them, but ya to me a door with a frame would be stronger.
Also on the frameless doors (at least on the CLA) the window automatically drops a bit when you open the door and then closes when the door is shut. You don’t have the frame to create any type of seal for wind or noise, so I am assuming that’s what it’s done for.
What happens in places like NH in the winter and you come out to your car which is an ice cube and the windows are frozen shut???? Someone out here must have more info....

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Also on the frameless doors (at least on the CLA) the window automatically drops a bit when you open the door and then closes when the door is shut....
Do you know for a fact that it does that? I've had 2 cars with frameless doors and they open and close just fine without needing the window to be lowered a bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
From the owner’s manual page 77
i When a door is opened, the side window on that side opens slightly. When the door is closed, the side window closes again.
! The side windows will not open/close if the battery is discharged or if the side windows have iced up. It will then not be possible to close the door. Do not attempt to force the door closed. You could otherwise damage the door or the side window.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
How did you get a hold of the owners manual already? Is there a link?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I do not have any experience with them, but ya to me a door with a frame would be stronger.
Also on the frameless doors (at least on the CLA) the window automatically drops a bit when you open the door and then closes when the door is shut. You don’t have the frame to create any type of seal for wind or noise, so I am assuming that’s what it’s done for.
What happens in places like NH in the winter and you come out to your car which is an ice cube and the windows are frozen shut???? Someone out here must have more info....
you hear a loud crack when the ice breaks.

I've always been weary of this wearing down the regulator over time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
problem with frameless windows is that when the window arm and parts that keep it in line start to wear down, the window will start poke out causing some annoying leaks. At least when this happens with a door that has a frame, you don't have to keep on adjusting the window every time you open the door.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem with frameless windows is that when the window arm and parts that keep it in line start to wear down, the window will start poke out causing some annoying leaks. At least when this happens with a door that has a frame, you don't have to keep on adjusting the window every time you open the door.
Did this actually happen to you with a car you own?

·
Registered
34 Posts
i like the automatic window adjustments. anyone who's had to re-align their windows/rollers after freezing weather understands how annoying loose windows can be. but ya, i'd be worried about this in extreme weather conditions..and what about theft? are frameless doors easier to break into?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So are the frameless windows undesirable for someone who lives in an area with harsh weather (e.g. Canada?)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I don't know. I live in NJ where we get our share of blizzards and I've never had any issues with frameless doors on either of the two cars I had with frameless doors. I guess if you do a good enough job of scraping the ice off then you don't have to worry about ice build up. Also, I don't see how frameless doors would be more susceptible to theft compared to doors with frames. If you break a window you break a window. Having frames or not isn't going to make a difference.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess the trick is just to make sure that you don't let the ice build up on your window by bringing around proper cold weather gear.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I don't know. I live in NJ where we get our share of blizzards and I've never had any issues with frameless doors on either of the two cars I had with frameless doors. I guess if you do a good enough job of scraping the ice off then you don't have to worry about ice build up. Also, I don't see how frameless doors would be more susceptible to theft compared to doors with frames. If you break a window you break a window. Having frames or not isn't going to make a difference.
you do have to be more persistent with scraping the ice off in the winter or when you open the door you always hear the ice braking off.

It really only happens during ice rain and wet snow followed by freezing temps.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
It really only happens during ice rain and wet snow followed by freezing temps.
We get plenty of those, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts