Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[DISCLAIMER: Please forgive the long post but it will prove worth ($$$) your time to read!]

I am awaiting December delivery of a Mountain Grey, Sports Pkg., Premium Pkg., Spoiler, Becker Map wiring, Bi-Xenon/LEDs, & Ash MB-Tex, and Aluminum Trim. I debated about the Multi-Media Pkg. and at the end I opted not to purchase after learning about and researching the Drive Kit Plus/Digital Lifestyle App combo.

Here is the way I figured that $2,370 was too much for the value I was getting in return (based on my personal lifestyle):
(a) I already have Google and Apple GPS in my iPhone5, with voice instructions.
(b) Siri provides me with voice control -- Siri and I have no problems communicating with one another.
(c) The 6-DVD/CD player is not a big deal (I have one in my SLK350 and I have not used it in the years I've owned the car).
(d) For as much time as I spend in the car, do I truly need a 80GB hard drive & 10GB music register; is being able to read notes about an artist or seeing fancy album cover art that important? -- I think not!!!!!!
(e) Traffic & weather info is available via my iPhone5 apps.
(f) A rear view camera is useful, but quality after-market camera's can be purchased at reasonable prices.

Here is how I figured that $600 for Drive Kit Plus/Digital DriveStyle App combo was a better value for me given my lifestyle:
(1) The Kit integrates all the features and apps of your iPhone into the car's entertainment system, allowing you to project it on the car's display screen and use the entertainment system's rotary controller.
(2) The Kit includes the software and a connection cable -- which is discreetly hidden in the glove compartment. It also charges your phone while connected to prevent battery drain.
(3) The Mercedes DriveStyle app (free from iTunes) is a wonderful app that offers you the following: The innovative Digital DriveStyle App with its Drive Kit Plus accessory, lets you enjoy the revolutionary screen design on your Mercedes’ in-vehicle display. Safely navigate through the intuitive user interface and enjoy the new context-aware flow of Social, Media and Places with the following features:

*** Social ***
• Facebook – listen to your newsfeed, post comments, respond and navigate to events.
• Twitter – reads your timeline out loud and lets you tweet and retweet.
• Glympse – let your friends know where you are at and when you will be arriving via Twitter or Facebook.

*** Media ***
• Social Playlist – listen to your friends’ favorite songs and videos.
• My Music – rediscover your own music with cover art search.
• AUPEO! Personal Radio – enjoy music with your own personalized station. 6 months of premium service included.
• Internet Radio – find your favorite radio stations from around the world.

*** Places ***

• Best-in-class navigation powered by Navigon – a Garmin brand
Lane Assistant Pro
• Real Road Signs
• Speed Limit Assistant
Voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions including spoken street names

Real Time Traffic Information
• 2D and 3D map display (bird’s-eye view)
• 3D buildings and landmarks
• Local Search and Street View powered by Google
Millions of preloaded points of interest including gas stations, restaurants and other businesses

*** Hand-held Features ***

• Car Finder
• Car Info with Vehicle Identification Number, Odometer and Fuel Level
• Settings

Want to learn more and read a review? For a thorough review and pictures of Drive Kit Plus/Digital DriveStyle, check out the following link to Parkers, the UK's version of Edmunds.com in the US.

Mercedes A200: Drive Kit Plus uncovered | Parkers

[If you have trouble with the link, go to New & Used Cars, UK Car Dealers | Parkers and search the title: Mercedes A200: Drive Kit Plus uncovered.]

According to the article, Drive Kit Plus in UK/Europe already supports the iPhone 5. Be aware though that MBUSA's website says the Kit only supports the iPhone 4 & 4s at the present and that a solution for the iPhone 5 is forthcoming by end of year.

In CLOSING, the Drive Kit Plus ($599) / Digital DriveStyle app (iTunes, FREE) is a much better value for my money that spending $2,370 on the Multi-Media Package. Except for the rear view camera, the MM Pkg. just doesn't offer me anything I truly need that I can't get with the Drive Kit combo deal. And as for the camera, it would not surprise me if MB comes out with a stand-alone camera option by 2016 model year.

THERE YOU HAVE IT ... MY 3 CENTAVOS

·
Registered
33 Posts
I pay the panoroof which a good investment but I resolved the issue forever I'm using a 8g USB full of music and artwork if I need something else I connect Bluetooth !!! I don't need internet in the car so why spend so much for things you don't need I have the camera is worthy

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Two points. 1) Not fair to Android users. Because of that I may not get it. MB just lost a sale from me and possibly other Android users by not supporting it. 2) to get the Becker navigation you actually have to spend $800 ($200 for the Becker MAP PILOT Pre-wire, $600 for the Becker MAP PILOT itself.).

·
Registered
176 Posts
WOW, thanks for an excellent post! I'm swayed, once someone can confirm everything works as intended with iPhone 5 in the USA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE -- I spoke with the Accessories Mgr. at the MB dealer I ordered the car from and he informed me the $599 price is just for the software/connectors. The installation costs about another $500 based on 3.6 - 4 hours to install. Bummer ... but when compared to the MM Pkg., still better to invest $1100+ on the Kit versus $2,370 on MM Pkg. Is the rear camera worth an extra $1,200? I don't think so but others may ... just saying :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
UPDATE -- I spoke with the Accessories Mgr. at the MB dealer I ordered the car from and he informed me the $599 price is just for the software/connectors. The installation costs about another $500 based on 3.6 - 4 hours to install. Bummer ... but when compared to the MM Pkg., still better to invest $1100+ on the Kit versus $2,370 on MM Pkg. Is the rear camera worth an extra $1,200? I don't think so but others may ... just saying :)
Could an aftermarket shop do the install?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I'm getting the MM package, BUT, does anyone know, can I still use the iTunes app in place off the Merc nav system?

·
Registered
945 Posts
lisabenz ... great thought, but unfortunately, the Drive Kit is a MB exclusive with Apple.
And for that it's probably better to get the dealer to install it, and if something goes wrong at least it's the dealer you have to go to back to, which might put some people at ease.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Could an aftermarket shop do the install?
The answer is probably yes, but I doubt that you would save much. The GOOD local shops charge almost as much per hour as MB. And they don't how to get access to the frimus, or how to remove the framus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts