Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greenpeace has once again stuck its nose where it doesn’t belong. As we’re all familiar by now Mercedes is locked into a long term endurance pissing contest with the French Government. Greenpeace is now howling that Mercedes should be brought to justice.

Funny because once upon a not too long ago Greenpeace was endorsing Mercedes' use of r134a instead of r1234yf, which Mercedes still maintains is highly flammable, Greenpeace wants fines imposed for non-compliance and for Mercedes to pay compensation to workers the ban is affecting.

Greenpeace admits Mercedes is "doing the right thing" as they are currently developing an alternative refrigerant, but it will take years for the new chemical to come to market, Greenpeace is urging Mercedes to proceed "as quickly as possible."

Honeywell is robustly defending its r1234yf product and insists there are no "serious" risks. Oh Boy.

Mercedes has previously countered with its own possibility of recompense, saying it would be "open" to receiving compensation "in principle."

That's what this is about, the extra cost to retrofitting all the vehicles with the necessary parts to make the new Honeywell refrigerant work, its not as simple as swapping out the Freon in the CLA. Extra parts are necessary for r1234yf to be as effective as r134a.

Like i said, pissing contest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This entire debacle is bringing new perspective to the legal term "acceptable risk." Mercedes isn't wrong that the new coolant is dangerously flammable, but a lot of things are flammable (gasoline for example.) So I guess it is not so flammable that the government thinks it can't be used in cars.

I wonder what the cost would be to Mercedes to either fight the legal battle (which they are not guaranteed to win,) or to replace the parts in its new vehicles to abide with the new coolant regulations.

I'm sure both are hella expensive.

·
Registered
945 Posts
This entire debacle is bringing new perspective to the legal term "acceptable risk." Mercedes isn't wrong that the new coolant is dangerously flammable, but a lot of things are flammable (gasoline for example.) So I guess it is not so flammable that the government thinks it can't be used in cars.

I wonder what the cost would be to Mercedes to either fight the legal battle (which they are not guaranteed to win,) or to replace the parts in its new vehicles to abide with the new coolant regulations.

I'm sure both are hella expensive.
court battles take time and tons of money especially with a case like this, if mercedes really wants to get these vehicles out they will just fit their cars with the parts needed.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
mercedes should hire private testers to test the real difference between the two and spread it onto the media. since the media has its eyes on this issue.

I think this problem is insanely silly

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes well France is now out of recession, i guess they can afford to play hardball...

/sarc

But it really is too bad, the French are all uppity about appearances half the population should be rolling around in CLAs. The gutteral French gangsters would love the CLA if they could only get their hands on one...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not just the CLA. Its other Mercedes cars as well. Am I correct?
yes you are correct about it not just being the CLA, I'm just saying France is a very image conscious society and a vehicle like the CLA should be soaring out of dealerships, if only it could be sold ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts