Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz is planning on offering a head-up-display (HUD) on its next S and C Class vehicles in fall 2014. This system projects car info like speed, navigation and warning lights onto the windshield. MB is actually late to the game of HUDs since BMW released a HUD in 2003 and Audi offers it already on its A6 and A7 models. The reason for the delay could be the fear that the system may be distracting to drivers, but that fear is beginning to lessen. I don't fault MB for waiting it out if that was the fear. It would have been worse if HUDs were a huge safety hazard and the company had to deal with the PR fiasco.

Would you want this feature on your car, or are you content with a regular dashboard?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I've seen it on the little Caddy, and it is very nice. (Especially in Nav. mode.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wish that we could see some images of what the HUD would look like in a vehicle. I'd like to see both the design and exactly how and where the different info appears on the windshield. It would also be cool if you could customize certain parts of the HUD, like placement and color.

If people can play driving video games well with car info on the screen, I think that people will be able to drive an actual vehicle without getting too distracted. maybe that's is just because I am a gamer, but I stand by my opinion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wish that we could see some images of what the HUD would look like in a vehicle. I'd like to see both the design and exactly how and where the different info appears on the windshield. It would also be cool if you could customize certain parts of the HUD, like placement and color.

If people can play driving video games well with car info on the screen, I think that people will be able to drive an actual vehicle without getting too distracted. maybe that's is just because I am a gamer, but I stand by my opinion.
No pictures, but I did find this video of the HUD and augmented reality. I doubt it will look exactly like this in production, but it gives you an idea.

The gesture command seems a bit distracting, but maybe that's just as you learn the controls.

The future is going to be awesome! A lot of this technology is applicable to much more than your car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe years later it'll trickle down to the CLA.
The video obviously shows a pretty conceptual version of the technology, so I wonder what the production version will look like. I could see them offering the technology in a few years in the CLA since it is an option and MB says they have to offer it across a range of models in order for it to be profitable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mercedes-Benz is planning on offering a head-up-display (HUD) on its next S and C Class vehicles in fall 2014. This system projects car info like speed, navigation and warning lights onto the windshield. MB is actually late to the game of HUDs since BMW released a HUD in 2003 and Audi offers it already on its A6 and A7 models. The reason for the delay could be the fear that the system may be distracting to drivers, but that fear is beginning to lessen. I don't fault MB for waiting it out if that was the fear. It would have been worse if HUDs were a huge safety hazard and the company had to deal with the PR fiasco.

Would you want this feature on your car, or are you content with a regular dashboard?

I would LOVE a HUD on my benz.. that's sweet!

Lisa

·
Registered
121 Posts
The video clip makes this technology seem pretty cool, but it is also obvious that it is not yet ready for production. The guy has so much trouble getting the gestures to control the interface the way he'd like. This would be distracting and aggravating while driving. I would guess that it won't be too long before we see something that is a finished version of the HUD in this video clip in our cars. The whole info on tourist attractions and stuff is really cool too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As cool as this technology is, I can see a lot of people not using it. It makes you feel separated from reality a bit. If this was on my car i think I would default have it turned off, and would only turn it on when I really needed it. Otherwise it would just be annoying having all these graphics flying across your windshield all the time.

Would you use this technology all the time, or just in specific circumstances?

·
Registered
945 Posts
As cool as this technology is, I can see a lot of people not using it. It makes you feel separated from reality a bit. If this was on my car i think I would default have it turned off, and would only turn it on when I really needed it. Otherwise it would just be annoying having all these graphics flying across your windshield all the time.

Would you use this technology all the time, or just in specific circumstances?
i don't see how it will make you feel separated from reality, it's just one more thing to make life easier that not a lot of cars on the road will have for the time being. I know I would have it on all the time, why not?

why have to keep looking down at the instrument cluster when you can keep looking at the road with most of what you need to know right infront of you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i don't see how it will make you feel separated from reality, it's just one more thing to make life easier that not a lot of cars on the road will have for the time being. I know I would have it on all the time, why not?

why have to keep looking down at the instrument cluster when you can keep looking at the road with most of what you need to know right infront of you.
It's less about things like speed, and RPM on the screen, and more about the extra stuff, like "here's, some info on this landmark." I'm sure you could turn off that extra stuff and just leave the meters. I just don't want things getting too busy on the windshield while I'm driving. Like the TV, all the extra stuff on the screen can be bothersome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts