Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So halogen headlights were the standard for sometime, then someone went and invented xenons and ballasts for industrial lighting. 1991 saw the introduction of xenon headlamps for motor vehicles, the 1993 BMW 750 was the first car in NA with Xenons. Development of projectors began to aim HID's which quickly became the pinnacle of automotive lighting.

Then Audi went and decided to buck the trend and start using LED's because they use little power and create limited heat. Now everyone is jumping on using LEDs in their headlights to try and be edgy and premium like Audi.

If anyone has been paying attention to CES 2014 you will of seen that Audi said thank you for joining us on the LED wave but we're jumping ship for LASERS.

which brings forward an interesting question....

If we've gone from halogen to xenon to LED and now lasers are imminent, WHY AREN'T XENONS STANDARD ON EVERY CAR? How can there possibly be new cars sold that are HALOGEN, CLA I'm looking at you....

Should people not be more concerned that major companies are nickle and diming one of the most important aspects of driving safely. VISIBILITY....

Thanks to a friend who brought the dichotomy to my attention :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you know all of the new A3 sedans will have active xenon headlights standard? I would like to see Mercedes-Benz USA match Audi in this regard and offer us an even greater value with the CLA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts