Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the great state of Idaho - land of Potatoes and dairy cows. I just brought home my Edition 1 CLA and couldn't be happier. The car is fantastic in many respects. I considered a few other cars in the same price range and have to say I'm very happy with the CLA. Its certainly bigger and better than I expected. I've posted a review after the first 300 miles in the Reviews section. I also threw in a few cell phone pics of the car taken on the way out of the dealer.

I bought this car to commute long distance to various parts of the great state of Idaho and beyond and look forward to many happy hours/miles in it. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome resipsaidaho!!

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Welcome. I love potatoes and I love dairy and my waist line proves it so right there makes Idaho great state. I've visited many states and unfortunately Idaho isn't one of them.... yet. Maybe some day. I love the Edition 1. Enjoy and best of luck with it. Please keep up with the reviews, updates, observations, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
welcome! post some pics up

·
Registered
52 Posts
What city do you live in? I spent 3+ years in ID early in my Naval career at the nuclear testing site west of Idaho Falls. Loved the area!
Now I'm trying to get the wifey to move to Boise (a little cold and too much snow in IF or Pokie)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Since you have the Edition 1, can you tell me what is in the Exclusive Package (P34) that comes with it?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you have the Edition 1, can you tell me what is in the Exclusive Package (P34) that comes with it?
Not sure. I noticed that on the spec sheet as well and asked but my salesman who, while nice, couldn't answer a lot of those questions. I took the dealer's only Ed 1 and they were as interested in what it came with as I was. Based on what I was told at the dealership, another CLA I looked at, and seeing the car I *think* it's just referring to the combo of things that only come on the edition 1 and can't be ordered. Things like the like neon stitched leather dash, seats and door panels, matching floor mats that have Edition 1 stitched on them. It also has 18" black AMG stamped wheels, gloss black mirrors and trim that aren't normal options.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not sure. I noticed that on the spec sheet as well and asked but my salesman who, while nice, couldn't answer a lot of those questions. I took the dealer's only Ed 1 and they were as interested in what it came with as I was. Based on what I was told at the dealership, another CLA I looked at, and seeing the car I *think* it's just referring to the combo of things that only come on the edition 1 and can't be ordered. Things like the like neon stitched leather dash, seats and door panels, matching floor mats that have Edition 1 stitched on them. It also has 18" black AMG stamped wheels, gloss black mirrors and trim that aren't normal options.
Funny even the dealer couldn't answer those questions, you'd think they would know or at least have access to the information. Or maybe they were just lazy?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What city do you live in? I spent 3+ years in ID early in my Naval career at the nuclear testing site west of Idaho Falls. Loved the area!
Now I'm trying to get the wifey to move to Boise (a little cold and too much snow in IF or Pokie)
I live in Twin Falls. I work in Boise a lot, tell your wife she's missing out.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup

Funny even the dealer couldn't answer those questions, you'd think they would know or at least have access to the information. Or maybe they were just lazy?
No kidding. I actually looked at two dealers in the Portland, Oregon area while visiting the week before I put a deposit on the one I bought. I have to say that the downtown dealer (not Wilsonville) was outstanding. The guy there is actually what made me stop looking around and settle on the CLA - even though no one even had one to test drive. He's the one that told me about some of the special features of the Edition 1 and I would've bought one from him but their allotment was all pre-sold. I came back to Idaho and put money down because they still had one coming. I asked all about the features, package options, etc. and they basically printed out the spec sheet and gave it to me. Not much help there. I felt like I actually knew more about it than they did from talking to the other dealer.

One example, even after getting the car to the dealership the salesman insists the rear seats don't fold. He looks around the car for a few minutes and gives up. Its not readily obvious how they would to me and I was in a hurry to leave so I figure it must be an Ed 1 thing because I'm certain there's promotional material out there saying they do. Sure enough, my 13 year-old figures out the button to do it in about 10 seconds.

Does anyone else feel like the internet has completely changed the playing field between car salesmen and buyers? In the past 6 or 7 years I have yet to meet a salesman more educated about a car I'm interested in than me. Its disappointing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
No kidding. I actually looked at two dealers in the Portland, Oregon area while visiting the week before I put a deposit on the one I bought. I have to say that the downtown dealer (not Wilsonville) was outstanding. The guy there is actually what made me stop looking around and settle on the CLA - even though no one even had one to test drive. He's the one that told me about some of the special features of the Edition 1 and I would've bought one from him but their allotment was all pre-sold. I came back to Idaho and put money down because they still had one coming. I asked all about the features, package options, etc. and they basically printed out the spec sheet and gave it to me. Not much help there. I felt like I actually knew more about it than they did from talking to the other dealer.

One example, even after getting the car to the dealership the salesman insists the rear seats don't fold. He looks around the car for a few minutes and gives up. Its not readily obvious how they would to me and I was in a hurry to leave so I figure it must be an Ed 1 thing because I'm certain there's promotional material out there saying they do. Sure enough, my 13 year-old figures out the button to do it in about 10 seconds.

Does anyone else feel like the internet has completely changed the playing field between car salesmen and buyers? In the past 6 or 7 years I have yet to meet a salesman more educated about a car I'm interested in than me. Its disappointing.
For sure.. Truecars has changed that too. Even tonight gm is saying they want to allow car sales online similar to tesla.. Sounds like car salesmen are going the route of blockbuster, video stores, eight track players and the payphone. Hopefully I made someone feel old with those memories :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
In the past 6 or 7 years I have yet to meet a salesman more educated about a car I'm interested in than me. Its disappointing.
Let me play Devil's Advocate. 1. They may not be "car guys". 2. They have to rep multiple models of car, and maybe even different brands. 3. In addition to learning the facts that we 'educated' consumers are asking, they have to spend time 'selling', and learning how to sell. 4. Last, but far from least, nobody knows what is in/on this car - Merc is still making it up. (My guess is that Merc will be making small, unannounced changes throughout the model year. Remember the 'recall' of the Ed. 1s?)

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Don't the sales reps have to go through training session to know about each individual car before they even try to sell...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Props to car salesmen

Vracer: I don't totally disagree with you. Salesmen (or women, not being sexist here) have a tough job and the manufacturers don't make it easy on them. Some have harder jobs than others. The average Ford or GM options list reads like a phonebook compared to Merc or BMW. That's not taking into account the many more models the domestics sell. Knowing them all would be hard. You have to admit though, it is their *job*. "Selling" anything as a professional requires some level of product knowledge.

I guess what gets me is not so much the general ignorance by the salespeople, its when they insist they're right about something they don't really know. I never fault people for not knowing. Its those who pretend they do but are flat wrong that bug the crap out me. IMHO too many car salespeople are so eager to make the sale they stretch the truth or flat out say things they have no idea whether they are true or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts