Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the CLA 4Matic AWD system the same one used in other Mercedes 4Matic models or is this something new? Also, how does it compare to brands like Subaru whose AWD is often praised by the industry?

I read the CLA 4Matic doesn't offer a true AWD system, whatever that means.

·
Registered
945 Posts
All I know about the Mercedes CLA AWD system is that it can potentially deliver 50% of it's power to the rear wheels at times but you'll mainly see a 70(front) 30(rear) power split.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I believe default is 100%F; 0%R. That's what all the technical information I have seen says.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am not too familiar with the 4matic all wheel drive system in general. Has anyone in here owned a 4 Matic in the past? maybe you guys could chime in on this topic and give us some insight on the AWD system.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The usual 4MATIC system in the RWD-based cars has a 50-50% torque split as the default between front and rear axles.

The A, B and CLA Classes use a Haldex-type system, which is a 100% front torque default, with some of the power being transferable to the rear if the front wheels start to slip. Haldex systems have undersized drivetrain components on the axle that normally gets zero drive - they are not designed for full time use.

Haldex systems are not generally thought of as being well suited for high performance applications, which makes the particular application in the case of the AMG version something of a curiosity to me.

I would not bother with the 4MATIC in the regular CLA 250 (or B Class for that matter), for the reasons above, plus the increased complexity, weight and fuel economy penalty.

Reactions: CLAJoe

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
The 250 4Matic is only useful if you are very bad at driving in the snow. It would help.

I am also curious how the rear end will hold up on the CLA 45 AMG. The rear wheels only engage when major slip in the front is detected... On the 45 AMG this could have been adjusted or altered. Maybe the rear drivetrain was beefed up.. You never know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe default is 100%F; 0%R. That's what all the technical information I have seen says.
So pretty much the the CLA is FWD with rear wheel assistance should it ever need it. That doesn't sound very good to me for an extra 3k. I thought it would be more of a split in sending power to the wheels at all times.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The 250 4Matic is only useful if you are very bad at driving in the snow. It would help.

I am also curious how the rear end will hold up on the CLA 45 AMG. The rear wheels only engage when major slip in the front is detected... On the 45 AMG this could have been adjusted or altered. Maybe the rear drivetrain was beefed up.. You never know.
I was thinking the same thing too for different conditions on the road maybe the 4matic AWD would be more beneficial in that respect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Prlly a dumb question, but do you think there will be a way to set the power ratio to the wheels ourselves? Whether Mercedes gives us this ability or maybe someway to flash it ourselves?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Not likely because the rear drivetrain is probably not engineered for constant use.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
One day we will be able to. But for the CLA's case. No.

I am betting the CLA45 AMG rear end is tougher. There is no way the small rear end can handle all that torque moving to the rear without it eventually breaking down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

there is an image dispaying the rear axle with the AWD clutch.
The pump generates pressure to apply the clutch. To modulate the torque, the valve is used.
I also found an article written by a german journalist who could compare the FWD CLA with the 4matic CLA. He definitely noticed a significantly imroved driving performance and recommends the 4matic version.
So it seems they also use the 4matic to improve handling.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi,

The pump generates pressure to apply the clutch. To modulate the torque, the valve is used.
I also found an article written by a german journalist who could compare the FWD CLA with the 4matic CLA. He definitely noticed a significantly imroved driving performance and recommends the 4matic version.
Wow thanks a lot for providing that info, it should put more faith into people about how good 4matic is in the CLA. For $3000 more (or was it?) I think going for the 4matic option is a no brainer. Although I can see people who aren't car enthusiast but just want an affordable Mercedes to drive to opt out of the 4matic option.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will definitely be getting the 4Matic. For an extra 3k, it is a great value. It would be cool to have a true head to head between the 4matic and fwd for example, lap times, course handling etc. So we can see how much better the 4wd really is.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Prlly a dumb question, but do you think there will be a way to set the power ratio to the wheels ourselves? Whether Mercedes gives us this ability or maybe someway to flash it ourselves?
I could see someone figuring a way around it but like Mike T not likely since it serves to be use consistently.

If it were to happen though it will be definitely interesting to see the out come.

·
Registered
166 Posts
well I would imagine they chose to have it like that for a reason and that is to make use of the power efficiently and gain better power through traction.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Hi,

thanks for the link. Google translate FTW!

The 4MATIC model will for sure offer more grip and better turn in vs the FWD model.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The only people I see getting the CLA in front wheel drive is the ones that have a budget in mind and new to the benz world. Or simply doesn't car about the handling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I could see you having warranty problems if something were to break and Mercedes was to discover that the 4Matic system had been hacked.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts