Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"it doesn't feel like a real AMG" - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG Review by /DRIVE

Mike Musto reviews the new 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in California. He wasn't too happy about it, saying "it doesn't feel like a real AMG", what do you guys have to say about that?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've only tested the CLA 250, but I am disappointed to hear this. I think this is one person's opinion though. Most of what I have heard about the CLA AMG is positive.

Do any of you guys have complaints? Another question I have is if you have driven any other AMG vehicles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hes garbage.....all he said is the same thing over and over.... did you not hear he said 335 hp???? he didnt do his homework.....i unsubscribe to him after watching it...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Actually I don't think his review of the car is all that bad. Yes, he did have some criticisms but he followed up each one with a caveat that it’s just his opinion. He did say there’s nothing wrong with the car that he can point out. He also said the engine works, the dual clutch transmission works, the cabin is comfortable, etc. Also at the end he gave it a decent score and gave it a “Highly Recommend” rating. He kept harping on the price so maybe that’s the basis of his assessment but he failed to mention the prices of some other AMG models. If he did then perhaps he’ll realize the price is in tune with the car. But hey, he’s just one man and one opinion.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I don't think his review of the car is all that bad. Yes, he did have some criticisms but he followed up each one with a caveat that it’s just his opinion. He did say there’s nothing wrong with the car that he can point out. He also said the engine works, the dual clutch transmission works, the cabin is comfortable, etc. Also at the end he gave it a decent score and gave it a “Highly Recommend” rating. He kept harping on the price so maybe that’s the basis of his assessment but he failed to mention the prices of some other AMG models. If he did then perhaps he’ll realize the price is in tune with the car. But hey, he’s just one man and one opinion.
well said.
from how i see it, it's good to take what he said into consideration but don't let him decide for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well to be honest if you've ever driven the other AMGs I wouldnt be surprised if the CLA 45 AMG doesnt feel the same.. You are comparing a high boost 4 cylinder to a huge V8. It's also the cheapest AMG... But I still think its an AMG. What else could Mercedes do to make it more of an AMG? Make it RWD? Throw a V8 in? Oh wait... right.. C63 AMG.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sounded like he had preconceived notions imo and basing it off of an apples vs oranges mindset. it's a 4 cylinder not a v8, of course it will feel different. I think it's a bad review and doesn't do it justice. He's doing all that he can to not be happy about it yet, has to give it a positive clause right after. He relays no "REAL" good information.

Any review of any product, should be taken with a grain of salt and the end decision based off one's own experiences if you want to feel positively sure on a judgment.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've driven a C63, CLS63, E63 (the estate), and SLK32. I've not driven the CLA45. I have no doubt that the CLA45 is probably the least "AMG-like" AMG out there. It's a FWD predominant AWD car. The only other AWD AMG is the E (and that's new). It's not crazy power and crazy torque (though it is for its displacement). It's not a V8. But it doesn't have to be. I like it for the compromise it makes in terms of practicality, economy, and performance. If I really wanted a performance car, I wouldn't even give AMG a glance. I'd look at an Evo or STI and save 10-20k. Or go up 30-40k for a GTR. Not every AMG has to be the same. And heck, it's not the first "non-AMG." Who really thinks the ML and G-class AMGs are "true" AMGs?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Well said, sleepyhead. In a similar vein, MB calls this a coupe, not a 4 door sedan, so get over the fact that your 6 foot, 220# mother-in-law can't fit in the back. (Or maybe that is why you're buying the car.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting review and I agreed that there was a preconceived notions and biased. Most cars out of the factory will tune for understeer as it is safer especially on higher power car. I know the M's plows like a pig out of the gate. However, a little negative camber in front and small tweak in toe-in will address the issue.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like it's a good area for aftermarket parts makers to step in on, not sure if and or when MB will make the changes, maybe they dont see it being an issue?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
The more I see, the better the STI looks...Make mine red and can save a chunk of change...:rolleyes:
If you're in the market for a STI you really shouldn't be looking at an AMG. An STI is a rally car that has just enough equipment to pass for a street car. An AMG is a luxury sports car. Looking at a Mustang or Camaro would be at least somewhat more in line with a STI, even if they serve different functions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The STi interior is lack luster.

Very plain interior for the price

The new STi seems like an improvement. But even still the overall car feels cheaper compared to the CLA.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Think of it this way. You would feel comfortable picking up a date for a formal dinner party/ball in a CLA45. You wouldn't in a STI. And when you give the CLA keys to the valet you'll feel okay. When you give the STI keys to the valet, you need the umbrella open to block the spit coming your way. :p And I like the STI. But it's not similar at all.

A STI is a bit of a yobbo car. The CLA is a Mercedes. They may be sports cars, but they are very different markets. Just like the Mustang (another performance car) and the STI. The markets don't really cross because while they both look for a fast car, they are looking for completely different things in their car. The Mustang owner wants to drag race. The STI owner wants to survive going around a slight bend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The more I see, the better the STI looks...Make mine red and can save a chunk of change...:rolleyes:
Maybe a 2004. The new ones are junk. I sold my aspen white special edition and it has the spec c suspension. Subaru cut so much cost and removed items like sodium fill exhaust valves. Aluminum arms all way way around. Took away the aluminum hood, and put that non forged pistons on that 2.5L and hesitates at around 4-5rpm not to mention looses breath. From 2004 to 2010 they replaced good parts with cheap stuff. I don't know about 2014 but I'm guessing more cut cost items such as more plastic on the intercooler and etc.

Good luck with your purchase but personally I'd rather go Evo before they are gone.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I doubt the 6.2L V8 will fit in the CLA. And it would be miserable if they did. It's a FWD dominant AWD, meaning you'd probably get way too much torque steer and the differential would have to be enormous, like the one in the C63 Black that needs a year to warm up. If they switched it to RWD, the already tight rear would probably lose even more space. Plus that 6.2L V8 gets you a $2200 gas guzzler tax (I think it may be lower now but still . . .).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts